"HEART SON" Who can use this title?

Harold

"HEART SON" Who can use this title?

Post by Harold »

I am doing research into the topic of the title "HEART SON". Could anyone tell me about this title i.e. who can give it out, who can use it and what does it officially mean. Can students give out this title to another student after their Tulku has died and the deceased Tulku does not declare any of them as his HEART SON. Any and all information would be of great assistance to me.
heart

Re: "HEART SON" Who can use this title?

Post by heart »

Harold wrote:I am doing research into the topic of the title "HEART SON". Could anyone tell me about this title i.e. who can give it out, who can use it and what does it officially mean. Can students give out this title to another student after their Tulku has died and the deceased Tulku does not declare any of them as his HEART SON. Any and all information would be of great assistance to me.
It isn't a title and it means nothing if you don't hear it from the master himself. It means something like "very close disciple" but don't make anyone lineage holder, rinpoche or lama or anything like that.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

In my opinion, anyone who cares about this stuff is deluded.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Harold

Post by Harold »

Could we all go back to my original question about the proper use of the title HEART SON.

I know that the Karmapa used it to describe his FOUR HEART SONS.

Does anyone know the history of the term HEART SON?

:shrug: :shrug:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Off topic discussion on Lama Tashi Dondhup split to here.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Harold wrote: I know that the Karmapa used it to describe his FOUR HEART SONS.

Does anyone know the history of the term HEART SON?
I don't know the history of the term but it is sure to stem from a specific Tibetan word or phrase and does indicate an intended future lineage holder when used in TB religious politics although as noted by a previous poster it's really just a term talking about an extremely close student (student or disciple is not quite right) - Marpa and Milarepa are the classic examples - karmically connected guru and disciple bonded like family.

The concept is also found in China and may or may not stem from Chinese culture (or it may stem from West Asia culture going way back). The best examples are from martial arts where a close student can be seen as a kind of adopted son/daughter of the master.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Harold

Post by Harold »

What does it mean when a Tulku officially or publicly calls someone his "HEART SON" ?
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

Harold,
I have always understood the term to mean the main one to whom a teacher is passing on their linage too. I am coming from a Nyingma background which has a lot of such father to son transfers, although not always. While a teach may have many great students, it will most likely be only a select few who are expected to carry on the lineage. Just my .02.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

I think the word is "Chodak." Nothing new.

Return to “Kagyu”