YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Accessories to the "Four Stages" - Dhamma Wheel

Accessories to the "Four Stages"

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
chownah

Accessories to the "Four Stages"

Postby chownah » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:29 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Accessories to the "Four Stages"

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:49 am

Greetings Chownah,

They signify progress, based on the eradication of certain kilesas...

In line with your question, it would be interesting to know if certain kilesas could be removed in an alternative sequence. For example, could you eradicate Sloth before Worry?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

ground

Postby ground » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:09 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:25 am

Interesting topic Chownah. One could (but perhaps shouldn't drag this thread too far off topic) ask the same question about other things described in the suttas (such as dependent origination, which already has many variants in the suttas) and the commentaries (notably the insight knowledges). Are they one possible way things might play out, or is every little detail vitally important (I suspect the former, but perhaps that's just my lazy streak...)?

:anjali:
Mike

chownah

Postby chownah » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:31 am

nameless

Postby nameless » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:29 am

I wouldn't say "consider the four stages as not applying", but for me I don't really think of them. In the sense that, they are not really relevant to my practice. I just do what I can, and I get where I get. There's no saying that hey, I'm just missing this thing and I can be a stream-enterer, let's work on this specific part more. There's no saying that hey, I don't think I'm that good, maybe I'll aim for stream-enterer instead of non-returner.

The 'progression' on the path, can be seen when for example, things that created difficult emotions previously don't do so anymore (or you realize that YOU create those difficult emotions), or if you find yourself kinder, more forgiving etc. Keeping in mind the purpose of Buddhism as a method to end suffering, probably simply an overall reduction in your suffering is progress.

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”