100 000 Tsog Offerings = how is it done?

Totoro

100 000 Tsog Offerings = how is it done?

Post by Totoro »

Hi

I often read of 100,000 tsog offerings being offered. how is this done? Does it refer to the tsog offering verse being recited 100, 000 times, and the number of times accumulated by a large group of practitioners? Please enlighten me! THx.
heart

Re: 100 000 Tsog Offerings = how is it done?

Post by heart »

Totoro wrote:Hi

I often read of 100,000 tsog offerings being offered. how is this done? Does it refer to the tsog offering verse being recited 100, 000 times, and the number of times accumulated by a large group of practitioners? Please enlighten me! THx.
I have understood there is a short tsog offering that you repeat inside a longer tsog offering, you probably also need loads of offerings not to mention plates.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

You repeat the appropriate liturgy-usually it's a short one, included in the longer or bigger framework of the Sadhanas, and each time, offer a small plate, sprinkling it with Amrita at the beginning of the recitation.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

The shortest tshog prayer I know for counting 100,000 is: Ganachakra putsa ho. For many years I was in a sangha that counted 100,000 tshog a couple of times per year. We used a 4-line prayer composed by Chatral Rinpoche specifically for our sangha for this purpose. Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche's sangha in Ward, CO also does this two times per year. They use a different short prayer (which I'm blanking at the moment). Neither my old sangha nor Dzigar Kongtrul's sangha offered/s a small plate with each repetition. So I would say that's a nice possibility but not an absolute necessity. I would recommend adding some fresh offerings at the beginning of each session during the day (if, for instance, you do 4-5 thun per day). Typically, one distributes the tshog offerings during the last session of the day and then starts the next day with a whole new array of fresh offerings. Also, the offerings should get more and more each day, not less and less, so that the last day is totally abbondanza.

This is a wonderful practice and it's wonderful that you would like to do it. I highly recommend it and hope that you do accomplish this. :namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
simhamuka

Post by simhamuka »

pemachophel wrote:The shortest tshog prayer I know for counting 100,000 is: Ganachakra putsa ho. For many years I was in a sangha that counted 100,000 tshog a couple of times per year. We used a 4-line prayer composed by Chatral Rinpoche specifically for our sangha for this purpose. Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche's sangha in Ward, CO also does this two times per year. They use a different short prayer (which I'm blanking at the moment). Neither my old sangha nor Dzigar Kongtrul's sangha offered/s a small plate with each repetition. So I would say that's a nice possibility but not an absolute necessity. I would recommend adding some fresh offerings at the beginning of each session during the day (if, for instance, you do 4-5 thun per day). Typically, one distributes the tshog offerings during the last session of the day and then starts the next day with a whole new array of fresh offerings. Also, the offerings should get more and more each day, not less and less, so that the last day is totally abbondanza.

This is a wonderful practice and it's wonderful that you would like to do it. I highly recommend it and hope that you do accomplish this. :namaste:
Very interesting and helpful, thank you.
Sengdongma has an easy job, because there are no enemies.

Return to “Nyingma”