Urgyen Samten Ling - legit?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Urgyen Samten Ling - legit?

Postby Totoro » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:05 am

Can someone please tell me if this place and Lama is legit?

http://www.urgyensamtenling.org/index.html The place is run by a Western married Lama Jerry Gardner. I'm a bit confused as he is 'ordained as a Lama', appears to wear robes but has a wife. Both husband and wife wore a zen AND a chogyu (!!!) during the puja. I can understand ngakpa robes but chogyu?? Isn't that reserved for monks and nuns only? While some other members of the Sangha wore an assortment of Shamtabs and other Ngakpa garb I suppose.

Do you know know this guy? Is he legit?

Also if you know of any good centres around or near Salt Lake City please let me know. Thank you!
Totoro

Re: Urgyen Samten Ling - legit?

Postby Silent Bob » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:30 am

If this couple is connected to the lineage of Tulku Urgyen, the center is well worth a visit, at the very least.
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Silent Bob

Postby tamm » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:01 am

I've lurked a lot but had to respond to this! I live south of here (abt an hr away) and I have really enjoyed my few visits. I wanted to attend the classes but I simply don't have the time and driving in the snow scares me...
tamm

Postby pemachophel » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Jerry is one of my bet and oldest friends. (He was my best man at my wedding.) We both studied with Sonam Kazi back in the 70s. Jerry went on to study with Tulku Urgyen, Chatral Rinpoche, Lama Dawa (not Lama Dawa Choddak but Chatral Rinpoche's disciple Lama Dawa), Khenpo Konchog Monlam, and others. It was Khenpo Konchog Monlam who authorized Jerry as a Lama and who gave the name Urgyen Samten Ling. Perhaps the word "ordained" is not the right word. Jerry is a married ngakpa. He is not a getshul/gelong. Jerry's center is under the on-going supervision of Khenpo Konchog Monlam, and Khenpo and other of His Lamas visit the Salt Center on a regular basis. I attended a ceremony there last summer for the anniversary of the passing of Mr. Kazi and everything seemed on the up and up to me. The students were very friendly and seemed very sincere. Jerry has always liked all the Vajrayana "bells and whistles." So the center is very traditional in terms of decorations and pujas as are the students' Dharma robes. Many of the students have taken four or all five of the upasaka/genyen vows. Those who have taken those vows wear different colored belts (one color for those with four vows and another color for those with all five vows). Personally, I was impressed by the number of students who had taken such vows. Jerry's wife is also a very sincere and diligent practitioner.

For what it's worth, I would recommend this center for anyone interested in Nyingma Buddhism in the Salt Lake area. In my book, Jerry's OK.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Return to Nyingma