Riwo Sangchod - ingredients question

plwk

Re: Riwo Sangchod - ingredients question

Post by plwk »

I've also heard that very great Lamas who have been gifted thankas and other valuables will ofter those to the fire also.
Any idea why would they do that? Were they expecting that those beings would receive these things too?
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Because they do not have attachment. Because offering them is a blessing to beings wherever the smoke goes.
Some ordinary practitioners use riwo sang chod as the liturgical base for doing 'dharma burn'
which is sometimes seen as a respectful means of disposal of things with dharma words,
or images on them.
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

plwk wrote:
During sur, She made sure there were no visible flames but that there was a steady column of smoke.
I was reading this...
The fire shouldn’t have much smoke. If you make fire with firewood, then usually there’s smoke.
If there’s a lot of smoke, then you don’t smell the food because the smoke overwhelms the scent of the food.
The food scent gets mixed in the smoke, the smoke’s stronger, and so they might not receive the food.
So, reduce the smoke as much as possible.
Let it burn as much as possible until there’s either no smoke at all or very little smoke.
The less smoke the better so that the spirits can smell the food.

When they smell the food and when you chant the mantra they get something.
When the coals are red inside with some white flecks outside, that’s good.
So then put food on top of the burning coals.

So, which one is correct? :shrug:
I think the main distinction here is that he is describing sur practice not riwo sangcho per se. In sang practice, the offering is actually the rainbow colored smoke that is created through burning the various substances. Generally speaking one is doing this in the morning and making these offerings to the three jewels and higher level beings first and then to beings in the lower realms to repay various karmic debts. In the case of sang, one does not want a raging fire but mainly strong coals or a small fire that is capable of burning the offerings and creating massive smoke. Then the sur which is practiced at night is mainly for feeding hungry ghosts and beings in the lower realms. Whenever I have done this practice with Lamas they usually pick a few large coals out of the fire and place a piece of meat and some tsampa on them so that they slowly burn and the scent is very strong. So I dont see any contradiction either, it is just the difference between the two practices.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Without starting a new thread, I just wanted to ask about using charcoal for burning sang incense.

So I'm asking how others do this?
  • What type of charcoal do you use and what type of charcoal do you avoid?
  • What container and base do you use?
  • What do you use in the container; sand, ash, white rice ash, etc?
  • Appreciate any other important information in this regards
I'm in Australia, and I'm basically looking at bamboo charcoal (Y/N)

I'm basically using the Riwo Sangchod Powder Incense from Chagdud Gompa... and some other ones.

I live in a house in a rural suburb. I can put the burner next to my window which opens to the back yard.

I have entertained the thought of building a sang oven in the back yard, but I easily aggrivate my back when I engage in such endeavours, and could only do sang like this in the winter months when there is no fire restrictions.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
PadmeSamadhi

Post by PadmeSamadhi »

Hi Yeti,

How did you got that powder anyway? Do you have lamas who could answer you those kind of questions?
If no one answer you until the next day I meet my lamas I could ask them, they lived under Chagdud Tulku's instructions for years so I believe they are a good source.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

PadmeSamadhi wrote:Hi Yeti,

How did you got that powder anyway?
http://www.tibetantreasures.com/cart.cg ... 0&child=84

http://www.tibetantreasures.com/product ... oduct=4135
Do you have lamas who could answer you those kind of questions?
Don't travel at all anymore and don't go to teachings anymore because I can't travel. Don't have email contact with my teachers. I try not to bother them, and most are doing drupchens at this time, so I thought these questions could be answered by DW sangha.
If no one answer you until the next day I meet my lamas I could ask them, they lived under Chagdud Tulku's instructions for years so I believe they are a good source.
Thanks
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

I'm basically just wanting to know the best method to burning the powdered incense, and why I want to use the Chagdud powdered incense is that it was made during an Essence of Siddhi drubchen, which is a main terma of Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

I have some of the good Dakpa Tamdin incense. I also use others.

Also have some powdered incense from here http://www.men-tsee-khang-exports.org/p ... =0&cPath=4
PadmeSamadhi

Post by PadmeSamadhi »

Alright, I will meet the lamas for you probably in a few days, I will print your questions and bring it with me.
:thumbsup:
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Thanks.

What I have found is some of the easy to light charcoal has ingredients like sulphur and other things to make them easy to start, so they have impurities that would mix with the sang.

Then there is the HOOKAH charcoal which is a tobacco related product.

Most of you probably are well aware of this. I'm only just finding these things out, and I'm just looking to learn to find the right product.
philji

Post by philji »

On Phakchok Rinpoche's site, Ratna Jewels an excellent product for Sang offering called Jewel of Auspiciousness is available also a beautiful vessel for offerings is there...Vessel of Auspiciousness
See descriptions
Jewel of auspiciousness
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
The practice of Sangcho (cleansing smoke offering) has been widespread throughout Tibet and Asia for countries. Renowned as an excellent and easy method to accumulate merit and create auspicious circumstances, it is often performed at the beginning of important events, or by many practitioners as a daily practice.

In order to practice this authentically, one needs the authentic substances, to be combined with the power of the mantra (or prayer) and the samadhi (or meditation). For the substances, the texts specify that one needs to gather 108 different ingredients made up of various medicinal plants, herbs, precious and semi-precious metals and stones, and specific ritual substances. However, in these modern times, such attention to fine detail is slowly deteriorating. To enable the authentic and genuine practice to continue, Rinpoche have kindly amassed all these 108 ingredients, and made them into convenient offering cups which will be easy to use and burn for the smoke offering.

Vessel of Auspiciousness
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Over the years the practice of sang offering has become more popular, nonetheless low importance is placed on the vessel in which the sang is offered. However, the vessel is very important as it is where we present our offerings to all those worthy of being praised –Buddhas, bodhisattvas, guardians, and so forth– as well as to show our respect, love and care for all of them.

It is mentioned in several texts that the sang vessel can be made out of any of the five metals, we have opted for copper so that more people can have access to items that will aid their practice. As for the design, in each of the four directions we have placed one of the four animals which are our guardian spirits according to Guru Rinpoche, and which should not actually be separate from us. The snow lion and the tiger represents the earth element, and the dragon and the garuda represents the sky element.

We have also placed a swastika surrounded by the sun, moon, stars and jewels. The sun signifies that, during the day, all auspiciousness shines like the sun. The moon indicates that at night all is auspicious like the glow of the moon. The stars symbolize that auspiciousness is ever present in the sky. And the jewels fulfill all wishes and, in the spiritual level, represents both skillful means and wisdom.

The shape of the vessel also follows the traditional shape that was used widely in Tibet and is still currently used in all the monasteries and also at the sacred places.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

philji wrote:On Phakchok Rinpoche's site, Ratna Jewels an excellent product for Sang offering called Jewel of Auspiciousness is available also a beautiful vessel for offerings is there...Vessel of Auspiciousness
See descriptions
Jewel of auspiciousness
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
The practice of Sangcho (cleansing smoke offering) has been widespread throughout Tibet and Asia for countries. Renowned as an excellent and easy method to accumulate merit and create auspicious circumstances, it is often performed at the beginning of important events, or by many practitioners as a daily practice.

In order to practice this authentically, one needs the authentic substances, to be combined with the power of the mantra (or prayer) and the samadhi (or meditation). For the substances, the texts specify that one needs to gather 108 different ingredients made up of various medicinal plants, herbs, precious and semi-precious metals and stones, and specific ritual substances. However, in these modern times, such attention to fine detail is slowly deteriorating. To enable the authentic and genuine practice to continue, Rinpoche have kindly amassed all these 108 ingredients, and made them into convenient offering cups which will be easy to use and burn for the smoke offering.

Vessel of Auspiciousness
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Over the years the practice of sang offering has become more popular, nonetheless low importance is placed on the vessel in which the sang is offered. However, the vessel is very important as it is where we present our offerings to all those worthy of being praised –Buddhas, bodhisattvas, guardians, and so forth– as well as to show our respect, love and care for all of them.

It is mentioned in several texts that the sang vessel can be made out of any of the five metals, we have opted for copper so that more people can have access to items that will aid their practice. As for the design, in each of the four directions we have placed one of the four animals which are our guardian spirits according to Guru Rinpoche, and which should not actually be separate from us. The snow lion and the tiger represents the earth element, and the dragon and the garuda represents the sky element.

We have also placed a swastika surrounded by the sun, moon, stars and jewels. The sun signifies that, during the day, all auspiciousness shines like the sun. The moon indicates that at night all is auspicious like the glow of the moon. The stars symbolize that auspiciousness is ever present in the sky. And the jewels fulfill all wishes and, in the spiritual level, represents both skillful means and wisdom.

The shape of the vessel also follows the traditional shape that was used widely in Tibet and is still currently used in all the monasteries and also at the sacred places.
Thanks very much for this pointer and reminder and clarification. It's exactly the trumpeting reminder I need. :thanks: :namaste: :twothumbsup:

Are the teachings you referred to in these videos http://www.phakchokrinpoche.org/teachings or somewhere else?

Oh, I found it http://www.ratnajewels.com/product-tag/auspiciousness/ :twothumbsup: :thanks:
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

Yeti wrote: [*]What type of charcoal do you use and what type of charcoal do you avoid?
I have never like the pure bamboo charcoals as they don't seem to stay lit easily. I have tried many and found the swift-lite charcoal out of England to be a great value and they sell a larger disc which lasts longer. I light it outside until the black powder burns off and then bring it inside to do the puja, much as you described, leaving it next to an open window.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Tsultrim T. wrote:
Yeti wrote: [*]What type of charcoal do you use and what type of charcoal do you avoid?
I have never like the pure bamboo charcoals as they don't seem to stay lit easily. I have tried many and found the swift-lite charcoal out of England to be a great value and they sell a larger disc which lasts longer. I light it outside until the black powder burns off and then bring it inside to do the puja, much as you described, leaving it next to an open window.
I'd prefer something easy to light, but all these seem to have additives like sulphur to make them easy to burn. I don't like the idea of my sang mixed with such "impurities" (but appreciate your reply).
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Why do you say sulfur is an impurity? It is considered a medicinal ingredient in Tibetan, Ayurvedic, and Chinese medicines.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

pemachophel wrote:Why do you say sulfur is an impurity? It is considered a medicinal ingredient in Tibetan, Ayurvedic, and Chinese medicines.
I say that because of my ignorance. Thank you very much for addressing this concern and enlightening me in this regard. Much appreciated. :twothumbsup: :thanks: :namaste:

This is exactly why I ask these questions on these forums, as I also trust the knowledge of many contributors like pemachophel, especially in this area. Please feel free to always address my ignorance with true and proper knowledge . :namaste:

See, I may know that sulphur has medical purposes, but I don't know if it's okay to have it in sang. So I'm glad for these clarifications. :thanks:
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Please note that there is a two day teaching on all the aspects of Riwo Sang Cho including how to make the mother mix properly and much more, given by HH Dungse Shenphen Dawa Norbu Rinpoche and available to purchase on DVD found on the tersar.org website here:

http://www.tersar.org/yeshe-melong/

Scroll down and you'll find this "A DVD of a teaching by Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche on the Riwo Sang Chö is currently available upon request." You may have to email or call to arrange the details of acquiring it.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Adamantine wrote:Please note that there is a two day teaching on all the aspects of Riwo Sang Cho including how to make the mother mix properly and much more, given by HH Dungse Shenphen Dawa Norbu Rinpoche and available to purchase on DVD found on the tersar.org website here:

Scroll down and you'll find this "A DVD of a teaching by Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche on the Riwo Sang Chö is currently available upon request." You may have to email or call to arrange the details of acquiring it.
Thanks, will have to get that. Have Lama Dawa's Riwo Sangcho teachings, but it's something I am happy to receive from many sources. Also from Changling Rinpoche.
PadmeSamadhi

Post by PadmeSamadhi »

Yeti, I printed your questions, explained your situation and took your questions to Lama Rigdzin and he kindly gave advice.

He said we use hookah charcoal only here, which is the same Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche used to, so you should use that, also if you want more purity than that you could get some red incense sticks for tsog and crumble some sticks to small bits and you can have some nice embers to burn your powder.

I asked about the sulphur, he said you don't want to mix too much the materials or you will have some mixed odors, the idea is to keep simple and the odor itself should be kept the purest possible.

May you have great benefit with the practice.
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

Yeti wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Please note that there is a two day teaching on all the aspects of Riwo Sang Cho including how to make the mother mix properly and much more, given by HH Dungse Shenphen Dawa Norbu Rinpoche and available to purchase on DVD found on the tersar.org website here:

Thanks, will have to get that. Have Lama Dawa's Riwo Sangcho teachings, but it's something I am happy to receive from many sources. Also from Changling Rinpoche.
I have the DVD from Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche and it is amazing. He not only goes into great detail about the sang practices and creation of the mother mixture but also speaks about many topics of ritual cleanliness from a Tibetan and Tantric perspective. Definitely worth getting a copy if you can.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Tsultrim T. wrote:I have the DVD from Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche and it is amazing. He not only goes into great detail about the sang practices and creation of the mother mixture but also speaks about many topics of ritual cleanliness from a Tibetan and Tantric perspective. Definitely worth getting a copy if you can.
Thanks for that recommendation. I just ordered it last week. :twothumbsup:

Return to “Nyingma”