Has anyone ever heard of this practice?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Has anyone ever heard of this practice?

Postby sangyey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has ever heard or knows anything about this practice of mindfulness where you are aware of conceptualizations as they arise and once they arise and you are aware of them you simply let your mind relax? Not sure if anyway associated with Guru Rinpoche or Nyingma but if you know anything about it please let me know.

Thank you!

-Sangyey
sangyey

Re: Has anyone ever heard of this practice?

Postby conebeckham » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:56 pm

This is a common technique, really...a "part" of Mahamudra practice, and in a sense.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby kirtu » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:02 pm

sangyey wrote:I am wondering if anyone has ever heard or knows anything about this practice of mindfulness where you are aware of conceptualizations as they arise and once they arise and you are aware of them you simply let your mind relax? Not sure if anyway associated with Guru Rinpoche or Nyingma but if you know anything about it please let me know.

Yes - you can find these instructions not just in Tibetan Buddhism but in Zen Buddhism as well. This is actually a kind of union of shamatha and vipashyana as this combines calm abiding with practicing/cultivating wisdom. With the relaxation emphasized people might say this is more Dzogchen flavor (for example Sogyal Rinpoche taught on this practice at length after HH Trulshik Rinpoche's teaching in September or so 1999) but it's not Dzogchen.

Actually this practice per se is also known in Vedic oriented meditation.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby sangyey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:05 pm

It seems quite beneficial, however, I have never kept a consistent practice of it rather have more so practiced the general 4 foundations of mindfulness. Was thinking should practice the technique consistently though......

"By all means, then, before I start some work,
That I might have the strength sufficient to the task,
I will recall the teachings upon carefulness
And lightly rise to what is to be done."

-Shantideva
sangyey

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:42 pm

conebeckham wrote:This is a common technique, really...a "part" of Mahamudra practice, and in a sense.
I was taught this technique during a retreat on the third karmapas mahamudra prayer.

Works really well if you have a solid basis in shine practices. The mind initially needs to be quite focused otherwise you get caught up in the thoughts as they arise. After a while though all you need to do is relax the mind.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Return to Nyingma