YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Hi I'm new to Buddhism and this forum - Dhamma Wheel

Hi I'm new to Buddhism and this forum

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
metta_noob

Hi I'm new to Buddhism and this forum

Postby metta_noob » Wed May 12, 2010 3:09 am

My name is KC and I'm from Malaysia. I've just started to explore Buddhism seriously in the last 2 months. I live near a Sri Lankan temple in the Theravadian tradition and that's where I've been going for dhamma talks. I've also done a bit of scratching (of the surface) on the web for learning resources and two names I've been reading or listening to are Ven Punnaji and Ajahn Brahm ... not to mention a variety of booklets I found at the temple.

Though a born Buddhist / Taoist (I'm Chinese), I've never found the urge to really learn and practise it ... i was more of an agnostic. I recently read that the Buddha said that suffering is a pre-condition of enlightenment ... pls correct me if I've got that wrong and also if someone can elaborate on that for me ;) That struck a chord with me ... my urge to explore Buddhism seriously at the beginning of 2010 arose from a personal suffering experience.

Frankly I haven't learnt about enlightenment but it sounds like a good thing. On the same breath, I also came across craving ... as well as "spiritual materialism" ... it's all rather confusing and "abundant" as in the vastness of the deep blue sea ... so much to learn, so little time ....

LOL I'm rambling already because I do not know the territory I've led myself into ... so I'll just end with hopes of everybody's guidance, kindness and compassion

kc
Last edited by metta_noob on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bodom

Re: Hi I'm new to Buddhism and this forum

Postby bodom » Wed May 12, 2010 3:22 am

Welcome metta_noob!

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed May 12, 2010 3:30 am

sukhamanveti

Postby sukhamanveti » Wed May 12, 2010 3:34 am

Welcome, KC!

:hello:
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed May 12, 2010 3:38 am

Hi KC
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
Suffering is a pre-condition for enlightenment in that everything we encounter in samsara is suffering.
Walking the eightfold path is the way that leads one out of suffering, out of samsara and leads one to the unconditioned state of Nibbana.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed May 12, 2010 4:03 am

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Wed May 12, 2010 4:13 am

metta_noob

Postby metta_noob » Wed May 12, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody :)

@ bodom ...that's a great quote / reminder in your signature!

@ David ... what a small world - i managed to spend some time with Bhante on his last day in KL 2 weeks ago. And I also shot some portraits of Bhante too. You might also like to know that I have also listed your book The Complete Book of Buddha’s Lists — Explained in my useful resources page. Will you be seeing Bhante again soon? Please tell him I said hello and that I hope he is well and happy.

@ Ben ... thanks for the explanation

@thereductor ... thanks for the link. I'm sure my stay here will be enlightening ;)

kc
Last edited by metta_noob on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed May 12, 2010 10:08 pm

metta_noob

Postby metta_noob » Thu May 13, 2010 10:11 am

Thank you David ... for appreciating my half baked effort on that blog. Yes I do photography for a living but I didn't want to publish photos from my spiritual adventures with photos of fashion shows and the like in my main site. Incidentally, the blog themes for both are the same except for colors ... LOL my main site has a dark background and the metta site is light ... kinda like yin and yang ... and no I didn't mindfully design it that way and only realised it when alerted by a friend.

No no no I'm no expert ... everything written there so far are based on dhamma talks or events I attended followed up with research on the net etc ... my only value add is thinking out aloud my understanding of other experts' works and some personal speculation like in the re-incarnation post. LOL I've just been hit with a doubt ... in Buddhism, it's re-birth rather than re-incarnation, right? See! Only a noob can make a fundamental mistake like that LOL.

I'm happy to know you like Bhante Punnaji's photos. I did write to him on his gmail to tell him where I've uploaded the photos but I haven't heard from him yet. I don't know if he's seen them yet. I hope he won't mind if I shared this one with the dhammawheelers here ... perhaps you could ask him for me?

Last edited by metta_noob on Wed May 09, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

zavk

Postby zavk » Fri May 14, 2010 2:54 am

Welcome!
With metta,
zavk

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Fri May 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Selamat datang Metta noob......... A Fellow Malaysian here.
I like your photos.. :thumbsup:

plwk

Postby plwk » Fri May 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Selamat Datang and Salam 1Malaysia (whatever this means to you :tongue: )

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Fri May 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Welcome.

metta_noob

Postby metta_noob » Sat May 15, 2010 7:10 am

@ pilgrim, plwk ... thanks, give me a holler if ur ever in bmv. what's that new fangled salam again ?!?

@ virgo ... thanks

Darren_86

Postby Darren_86 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi & Welcome,

Good to know that u've taken the first few steps into Buddhism now.. Its never too late =D

Same as you, I frequent BMV too~! but now working abroad, so cant really make it. One good book that you can pick up, is 'The law of Karma' by Sudassa Onkorn. I think BMV still have some of these books.

Other than this, try to look for books on Ajahn Mun (Ajahn Mun's spiritual biography @ www.forestdhammabooks.com). Anyway, not to get too carried away by introducing books now, try asking sister Bodhi, in BMV bookshop. She is quite helpful, and perhaps can help you pick up a few good ones.

Sadhu x3

metta_noob

Postby metta_noob » Sat May 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Darren,
Thanks for the warm welcome & the headsup on the books... LOL so far I've been reading the many free booklets available at the temple and doing online research and listening to dhamma talks. Hence, my learning at the moment is rather haphazard ... not to say it's a bad thing ... in fact given the many discourses and suttas and nikayas etc, I wouldn't know where to start either. And learning in a structured environment might be too academic for my taste. So I guess I'll plod on to get an overall feel of the terrain for a bit and then see what happens. Nonetheless, I will appreciate all recommendations of learning methods and materials :)

sadhu x3 to you too
kc

Return to “Introductions”