Smoking tobacco

rai

Smoking tobacco

Post by rai »

Hi all,

What is Tibetan Buddhism approach towards smoking tobacco. Please write whatever you've heard or read. I am struggling with casual smoking and need some good motivation to give up completely. I've read HH Dudjom Rinpoche' teachings on smoking tobacco but 1) I saw it on Aro website and i am not sure is it authentic or not and 2) the description of the plant are more like a Opium not tobacco, maybe someone read it in Tibetan and could confirm.

Thanks,

Rai
Malcolm

Re: Smoking tobacco

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:Hi all,

What is Tibetan Buddhism approach towards smoking tobacco. Please write whatever you've heard or read. I am struggling with casual smoking and need some good motivation to give up completely. I've read HH Dudjom Rinpoche' teachings on smoking tobacco but 1) I saw it on Aro website and i am not sure is it authentic or not and 2) the description of the plant are more like a Opium not tobacco, maybe someone read it in Tibetan and could confirm.

Thanks,

Rai

Smoking is stupid, bad for your health, bad for your practice. If you want to smoke, smoke Ayurvedic cigarettes.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Namdrol wrote:

Thanks,

Rai

Smoking is stupid, bad for your health, bad for your practice. If you want to smoke, smoke Ayurvedic cigarettes.
What do you think of those sadhus in India who smoke weed?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Huseng wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Thanks,

Rai

What do you think of those sadhus in India who smoke weed?
"Dude, where's my chillum..."
Josef

Post by Josef »

Namdrol wrote:

Smoking is stupid, bad for your health, bad for your practice.
The thing that kills me about smoking is that when people start smoking it is tied to this rebellious self-image.
Ironic considering that smoking is essentially paying "the man" to kill you.
Incredibly stupid.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
heart

Post by heart »

Thanks,

Rai
http://bodhiactivity.wordpress.com/2010 ... -rinpoche/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Dear Namdrol,

I am aware of the view of tobacco, but what is the TM opinion of Marijuana? Both recreational and medical uses? Also, what exactly is in Ayurvedic cigarette?

I am no expert on TM, but I am a patient of Dr Lobsang Dhonden Soktsang of Tara Rokpa in Scotland. He's helped me no end with blood pressure problems.

Many thanks,

s.

ps. I don't smoke anything, just curious.
s.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

samdrup wrote:Dear Namdrol,

I am aware of the view of tobacco, but what is the TM opinion of Marijuana? Both recreational and medical uses?
Herb does not have many medical uses in TM -- and it is very bad for meditation. Stoners can't meditate well since herb messes with short term memory. If one is a stoner, and thinks one can practice, one is suffering from delusion.

Also, what exactly is in Ayurvedic cigarette?
Herbs which are quite good for the lungs.

http://www.madanapalas.com/nirdosh-herb ... s-p-9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smoking healing herbs has an ancient tradition in Ayurveda, it is mentioned in the Caraka Samhita.

When you see people smoking in Mad Men they are smoking some kind of herbal cigarettes.

N
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Thanks N, very interesting.

On a side note, do you mind if I ask you a question please?

Dr Dhonden and Akong Rinpoche advised me to take Rinchen Ratna Samphel pills, along with my other medicines, about once or twice per month. So I got a large stock from Men Tsee Khang in Dharamsala. I take these as advised and prescribed. My question is: How long can I keep these pills? Do they have a shelf life?

Thanks for your time.

s.
s.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

samdrup wrote:Thanks N, very interesting.

On a side note, do you mind if I ask you a question please?

Dr Dhonden and Akong Rinpoche advised me to take Rinchen Ratna Samphel pills, along with my other medicines, about once or twice per month. So I got a large stock from Men Tsee Khang in Dharamsala. I take these as advised and prescribed. My question is: How long can I keep these pills? Do they have a shelf life?

Thanks for your time.

s.

Precious pills last for centuries, properly made
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Thanks again N,

What's your opinion of the Men Tsee Khang precious pills? Can you recommend any other authentic source? Dr Dhonden did warn me against inferior sources.

I actually had some that were made by Khenpo Troru Tsenam at Kagyu Samye Ling about 12 years ago, but they are long gone.

Thanks,

s.
s.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Namdrol wrote:

I am aware of the view of tobacco, but what is the TM opinion of Marijuana? Both recreational and medical uses?
Herb does not have many medical uses in TM -- and it is very bad for meditation. Stoners can't meditate well since herb messes with short term memory. If one is a stoner, and thinks one can practice, one is suffering from delusion.

http://www.madanapalas.com/nirdosh-herb ... s-p-9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smoking healing herbs has an ancient tradition in Ayurveda, it is mentioned in the Caraka Samhita.

When you see people smoking in Mad Men they are smoking some kind of herbal cigarettes.

N
Don't mean to get off topic here but I've been having this on again off again cough for quite some time now. Would you recommend these?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

maestro wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

N
Don't mean to get off topic here but I've been having this on again off again cough for quite some time now. Would you recommend these?
You an try them, see how they work out.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Namdrol wrote:
Huseng wrote:What do you think of those sadhus in India who smoke weed?
What is that all about?

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Huseng wrote:What do you think of those sadhus in India who smoke weed?
What is that all about?

Kirt

it's a joke adapted from the stoner movie "Dude, Where's My Car?".
Caz

Post by Caz »

Precious human life anyone ? Now who would want to waste a single moment of it or create the causes for it to shorten when we've got an oppertunity to learn and practise Dharma ? :shrug:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
justsit

Post by justsit »

LOL, haven't heard of a chillum since the 70's. :twothumbsup:

We also smoked some killer Indian cigarettes called Sher Bidis - really nasty. Now there's a smoke you don't wanna toke.
But, back then, it was anything for a buzz. :crazy:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Namdrol wrote:it's a joke adapted from the stoner movie "Dude, Where's My Car?".
No, I mean why do the sadhus smoke marijuana or whatever they smoke?

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Caz wrote:Precious human life anyone ? Now who would want to waste a single moment of it or create the causes for it to shorten when we've got an oppertunity to learn and practise Dharma ? :shrug:
Smoking is addicitive and it's also supposed to be pleasureable. People will do anything they find pleasureable.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
Namdrol wrote:it's a joke adapted from the stoner movie "Dude, Where's My Car?".
No, I mean why do the sadhus smoke marijuana or whatever they smoke?

Kirt
because they think Siva was a stoner too. It is their creation stage.

Return to “Nyingma”