English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby phantom59 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:44 am

Dudjom Lingpa (bdud 'joms gling pa) was born in 1835 in the Serta (gser thal)
valley in Golok (mgo log). He was said to be an emanation of Nuden Dorje (nus
ldan rdo rje), a powerful yogi, and Drogben Khyeuchung Lotsawa ('brog ban khye'u
chung lo tsA ba).

Throughout his life Dudjom Lingpa reported having direct visionary encounters
with numerous deities such as Vajravarahi, Avalokiteshvara, Vajrapani, and
Manjushri, Saraha and Longchen Rabjam (klong chen rab 'byam) through which he
received teachings and empowerments. Also via visionary experience Dudjom Lingpa
claimed to have journeyed to the pure land of the Copper-Colored Mountain and
receive teachings directly from Padmasambhava.

At age twenty-five Dudjom Lingpa revealed the prophetic guide (kha byang) from
amongs rocks in the Mar Valley. This contained instructions on how he should
reveal his own hidden treasures. He revealed twenty volumes of earth and mind
treasures (sa gter, dgongs gter). These came to be known as the Dudjom Tersar
(bdud 'joms), the New Treasures of Dudjom.

Among his better known treasures are the Troma Nagmo (khros ma nag mo) and the
Nalug Rangjung (gnas lugs rang byung), which is a systematic presentation of the
Dzogchen path.Dudjom Lingpa had seven sons, all of whom were famous
incarnations, including the third Dodrupchen, Jigme Tenpai Nyima.

Read more at :
http://www.causes.com/causes/404388-sup ... n-of-engli\
sh-works/about

Lotsawas(Translators)

Sangye Khandro: http://www.berotsana.org/sangye.html

Lama Chonam:
http://www.berotsana.org/chonam.html

Jane Hawes:
Jhttp://www.berotsana.org/jane_hawes.html

Christina Monson:
http://www.berotsana.org/christina.html

Light of Berostana website:
http://www.berotsana.org/index.html

Light of Berostana Blog:
http://berotsana.blogspot.com/
phantom59
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:30 am

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby gnegirl » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Cool!!

may this effort be successful and benefit many beings :namaste:
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
User avatar
gnegirl
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: Waponi Woo

Re: DUDJOM LINGPA'S VISIONS OF THE GREAT PERFECTION

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:24 am

Rather pricey at $120 - $40 per volume. Is Alan Wallace's new version better or worse in any way than Barron's and the other works of Dudjom Lingpa that have been put into English?
Only consider helping others and forget yourself. Master Hsuan Hua
User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
 
Posts: 2148
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: DUDJOM LINGPA'S VISIONS OF THE GREAT PERFECTION

Postby Tsultrim T. » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:47 am

Nicholas Weeks wrote:Rather pricey at $120 - $40 per volume. Is Alan Wallace's new version better or worse in any way than Barron's and the other works of Dudjom Lingpa that have been put into English?


I just got my discounted pre-order copies the other day. So far looks great and definitely worth it to me. Some people question the Barron translation as there were disputes about revisions to it that were made with out the Lama's approval in the later printings so only the first version is considered to be acceptable. Prior to that Vajra Essence had been put out by Alan Wallace but was restricted to those that attended his retreats and generally unattainable. As far as I know the third book in the series was never published in English.
User avatar
Tsultrim T.
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:59 am

Re: DUDJOM LINGPA'S VISIONS OF THE GREAT PERFECTION

Postby Nicholas Weeks » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:30 am

Tsultrim T. wrote:
Nicholas Weeks wrote:Rather pricey at $120 - $40 per volume. Is Alan Wallace's new version better or worse in any way than Barron's and the other works of Dudjom Lingpa that have been put into English?


I just got my discounted pre-order copies the other day. So far looks great and definitely worth it to me. Some people question the Barron translation as there were disputes about revisions to it that were made with out the Lama's approval in the later printings so only the first version is considered to be acceptable. Prior to that Vajra Essence had been put out by Alan Wallace but was restricted to those that attended his retreats and generally unattainable. As far as I know the third book in the series was never published in English.


Whatever the case, my order is on the way. :meditate:
Only consider helping others and forget yourself. Master Hsuan Hua
User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
 
Posts: 2148
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby Ivo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:07 pm

The three books are totally worth it. I have them. Excellent work in all respects!
User avatar
Ivo
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:34 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby localstarlight » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:15 am

Does one need transmission to read/study these texts?
localstarlight
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby Norwegian » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:54 pm

Yes.
Norwegian
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby Ivo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:11 pm

localstarlight wrote:Does one need transmission to read/study these texts?


According to the lamas who authorized the publication (mainly Gyatrul Rinpoche), not exactly. This is well explained on the last paragraph of page XXIX and the whole page XXX of the first volume. It says, In brief, that if you have genuine interest in Dzogchen and are solid Dharma practitioner in all respects, you may read the texts, being aware that for specifics and furthering your practice you would need a dzogchen teacher and the appropriate transmissions.
User avatar
Ivo
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:34 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby T. Chokyi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:25 pm

In addition to what others have offered as help. If you have any doubts about the restrictions applying to you or not
you can contact them directly here:

http://www.berotsana.org/contact-light-of-berotsana/

On the website you can see what they say to people here up front (before purchase):
http://www.berotsana.org/how-to-order/

RESTRICTED PUBLICATIONS:
If an item is marked “Restricted", it indicates that some prerequisite is required for its purchase, such as having received an empowerment, transmission, and/or permission from a lama. Light of Berotsana is unable to determine your qualification for purchasing these items. Please consult your teacher or lama to determine if you are qualified to purchase, read, or practice particular texts. If you and your teacher have determined that you fulfill the requirements, please indicate that you are qualified on the order form. Thank you.
T. Chokyi
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby Ivo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:29 pm

T. Chokyi wrote:In addition to what others have offered as help. If you have any doubts about the restrictions applying to you or not
you can contact them directly here:

http://www.berotsana.org/contact-light-of-berotsana/

On the website you can see what they say to people here up front (before purchase):
http://www.berotsana.org/how-to-order/

RESTRICTED PUBLICATIONS:
If an item is marked “Restricted", it indicates that some prerequisite is required for its purchase, such as having received an empowerment, transmission, and/or permission from a lama. Light of Berotsana is unable to determine your qualification for purchasing these items. Please consult your teacher or lama to determine if you are qualified to purchase, read, or practice particular texts. If you and your teacher have determined that you fulfill the requirements, please indicate that you are qualified on the order form. Thank you.


How does this apply to the current volumes which are published by Wisdom Publications and are not restricted by them?
User avatar
Ivo
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:34 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby T. Chokyi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:02 pm

Ivo wrote:
T. Chokyi wrote:In addition to what others have offered as help. If you have any doubts about the restrictions applying to you or not
you can contact them directly here:

http://www.berotsana.org/contact-light-of-berotsana/

On the website you can see what they say to people here up front (before purchase):
http://www.berotsana.org/how-to-order/

RESTRICTED PUBLICATIONS:
If an item is marked “Restricted", it indicates that some prerequisite is required for its purchase, such as having received an empowerment, transmission, and/or permission from a lama. Light of Berotsana is unable to determine your qualification for purchasing these items. Please consult your teacher or lama to determine if you are qualified to purchase, read, or practice particular texts. If you and your teacher have determined that you fulfill the requirements, please indicate that you are qualified on the order form. Thank you.


How does this apply to the current volumes which are published by Wisdom Publications and are not restricted by them?


Not every publication is on Wisdom. People can still write the authors if they have questions about the purchase or the intentions of it's authors as to purchase, all the information is provided there, how to contact them etc... so individuals have to decide for themselves.
T. Chokyi
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby Ivo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:05 pm

T. Chokyi wrote:Not every publication is on Wisdom. People can still write the authors if they have questions about the purchase or the intentions of it's authors as to purchase, all the information is provided there, how to contact them etc... so individuals have to decide for themselves.


Well, this seems to be a discussion about a particular publication.
But... on another note, I would LOVE to be able to contact the author. Dudjom Lingpa's email.. facebook, anyone? :smile:
User avatar
Ivo
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:34 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby T. Chokyi » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm

Ivo wrote:
T. Chokyi wrote:Not every publication is on Wisdom. People can still write the authors if they have questions about the purchase or the intentions of it's authors as to purchase, all the information is provided there, how to contact them etc... so individuals have to decide for themselves.


Well, this seems to be a discussion about a particular publication.
But... on another note, I would LOVE to be able to contact the author. Dudjom Lingpa's email.. facebook, anyone? :smile:


AH ha ha ha ha ... so funny! :tongue:
T. Chokyi
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby dzogchungpa » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:17 pm

Ivo wrote:I would LOVE to be able to contact the author. Dudjom Lingpa's email.. facebook, anyone? :smile:

Possibly of interest: https://www.facebook.com/DudjomLingpa
The mark of learning is gentleness, basically. - Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche
User avatar
dzogchungpa
 
Posts: 3011
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby Ivo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:22 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Ivo wrote:I would LOVE to be able to contact the author. Dudjom Lingpa's email.. facebook, anyone? :smile:

Possibly of interest: https://www.facebook.com/DudjomLingpa


I knew it!! No one is without Facebook these days, 'lingpa' or not... Thanks! :twothumbsup:
User avatar
Ivo
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:34 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby Norwegian » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:31 pm

You cannot practice Dzogchen without having received Dzogchen transmission (direct introduction). That's impossible. So, OK perhaps you can read the text. But, what's the point of reading something on tregcho and thogal if you cannot practice it? Because certainly there are requirements in order to practice it:

"If you wish to put the meaning of these sacred texts into practice, you must seek out a qualified guru to guide you in your understanding and practice. Dudjom Lingpa continues by stating that you must have "belief in the Dharma and your guru; unwavering trust in the path; earnest mindfulness of Death and the conviction that all composite phenomena are impermanent, so that you have little attraction to mundane activities; contentment with respect to food, wealth, and enjoyments; insatiability for the Dharma due to great zeal and determination; and integration of your life and spiritual practice, without complaining."

and

"Gyatrul Rinpoche has authorized the publication of these translations with the stipulation that they should be restricted to suitable readers, specifically those who earnestly aspire to achieve liberation and enlightenment. Such people will not be fixated on material success, but due to understanding first noble truth of suffering, they will have turned away from the allures of samsara. Suitable readers will honor the fundamental Buddhist teachings included in the Sravakayana, and they will revere the Mahayana as well, including the cultivation of the four immeasurables, the six perfections, and the insights presented in the Yogacara and Madhyamaka views. In addition, they will value all the outer, inner, and secret classes of tantras and have a genuine desire to practice the cutting through (tregcho) and direct crossing over stages (thogal) of the Great Perfection. Finally, suitable readers will treat these volumes with reverence and care. This is Gyatrul Rinpoche's sincere request for those interested in Dudjom Lingpa's Visions of the Great Perfection."

and

"While those who devote themselves to the practice of these Dzokchen teachings should receive the appropriate empowerments, oral transmissions, and explanations of the lineage masters, the texts themselves do not restrict their readership to those who have completed certain preliminary practices, such as a hundred thousand recitations of the Vajrasattva mantra and so on. So I do not feel that it is appropriate for me as the translator of these texts to impose such restrictions. This is a decision to be made by individual qualified lamas of the lineage."
-- Alan Wallace, from the preface of the books.

So, from the above quotes one can see that there are in fact certain requirements to be met. That those who want to read the books should also want to practice what's contained within, through connecting with qualified lineage lamas and practice according to their instructions.
Norwegian
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby dzogchungpa » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:57 pm

Norwegian wrote:Dudjom Lingpa continues by stating that you must have "belief in the Dharma and your guru; unwavering trust in the path; earnest mindfulness of Death and the conviction that all composite phenomena are impermanent, so that you have little attraction to mundane activities; contentment with respect to food, wealth, and enjoyments; insatiability for the Dharma due to great zeal and determination; and integration of your life and spiritual practice, without complaining.

Honestly, if you were to take these requirements literally I think that the percentage of people who satisfied them would be quite small, even among those who have received transmission.
Last edited by dzogchungpa on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The mark of learning is gentleness, basically. - Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche
User avatar
dzogchungpa
 
Posts: 3011
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: English Translation of Dudjom Lingpa Treasure Texts

Postby Urgyen Dorje » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:58 pm

I feel better knowing that nobody is getting away with anything now.

*relief*

LoB and the vendors of their books are pretty clear that they aren't going to play samaya cop. They can't and they shouldn't. They make it clear that its up to one to seek out authentic teachers and instruction. And that one should ask ones lamas about these texts.

That said, if anyone has transmission (pointing out) and instruction in dzogchen nyigthig from a qualified lama, the B Allan Wallace texts will be useful.

If not then its all words.
Urgyen Dorje
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:44 pm


Return to Nyingma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

>