Question about Travelling to Tibet/Kham

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Question about Travelling to Tibet/Kham

Postby Ashocka » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:46 am

Hi,

I did a pilgrimage in Central Tibet in 2007. At that time one required a permit with a travel operator to enter Tibet. I have an invitation to travel to Kham with a Nyingma friend who is based in mainland China (Chinese) in the future. So I am just wondering about arranging permits for an Australian if I am going to travel with this friend and not with a registered tour operator. I am sure others have done it.

Thanks
Geoff
Ashocka

Re: Question about Travelling to Tibet/Kham

Postby Karma Samten » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:26 pm

Depends how you want - whether you want to tour around in the Kham area, this might be tough.

If you just want to go to certain monastery or place, then you can go to Chengdu - the nearest major city, from where you can rent a private driver, so he could take you to where you want, with your Chinese friend. Mostly the private driver is the Tibetan who doesn't speak English at all, but can speak Chinese.

Where do you want to go? Yarchen? Serthar Larong? Kathog?
Karma Samten

Postby ngodrup » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:37 pm

If you're going to Golok, you fly to Xining on a tourist visa.
ngodrup

Postby Ashocka » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks for replies. Will look into it more. Looking to go around Shechen and Kathok areas.
Ashocka

Postby Dhondrub » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:19 pm

We went to Kham in 2005. At that time you didnt need any special permits, just a chinese visum. I dont know if the authorities changed that policie after the uprisings in 2008. We took the plane to Xining via Bejing and from there the bus to Jekyu/Yushu.
Dhondrub

Postby Ashocka » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:24 am

Dhondrub wrote:We went to Kham in 2005. At that time you didnt need any special permits, just a chinese visum. I dont know if the authorities changed that policie after the uprisings in 2008. We took the plane to Xining via Bejing and from there the bus to Jekyu/Yushu.

Thanks for that. The way I understand it the Chinese policies change all the time.
Ashocka

Postby Diamondsean » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:00 am

I just check it out with travel operator in Chengdu. They reply that the foreign passport holders don't need to have any more permission than visa into China to go to Kham. But it would be better if you have local friend to go with you. You can fly to Chengdu first, then to Gandze County, then to Kathok or whatever. Tell me if you need help.
Sean
Diamondsean

Postby Ashocka » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:53 am

Diamondsean wrote:I just check it out with travel operator in Chengdu. They reply that the foreign passport holders don't need to have any more permission than visa into China to go to Kham. But it would be better if you have local friend to go with you. You can fly to Chengdu first, then to Gandze County, then to Kathok or whatever. Tell me if you need help.
Sean

Thanks very much. Changes all the time, but at least it's like that at present.
Ashocka

Return to Nyingma