Teachings on death and dying

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Teachings on death and dying

Postby Dharmaswede » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Greetings,

What teachers tour and teach about death and dying? Any teacher specialized in that field of practices?

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Jens
Dharmaswede

Re: Teachings on death and dying

Postby muni » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Dharmaswede wrote:Greetings,

What teachers tour and teach about death and dying? Any teacher specialized in that field of practices?

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Jens

:namaste: Thank you for the reminder Jens!

For coming teaching in your place maybe you contact a local center.

http://www.buddhanet.net/deathtib.htm Text explanations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFWsqCVjkVQ&NR=1 movie of 5 parts.
muni

Postby muni » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:26 pm

muni

Postby Mr. G » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:17 pm

How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Josef » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:27 pm

Anyen Rinpoche's new book Dying with Confidence is the Tricycle book club selection this month.
Its a really important book in my opinion.

here it is

http://www.tricycle.com/community/dying-confidence
Josef

Postby Mr. G » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:31 pm

That looks like a great book! I've added it to my Amazon wish list. Thanks for sharing that.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Josef » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:25 pm

mr. gordo wrote:That looks like a great book! I've added it to my Amazon wish list. Thanks for sharing that.

You're welcome Gordo.
Its really excellent. There is some very practical advise on how to prepare not only yourself but also your loved ones who may not be practitioners. Rinpoche gives examples of what he calls a "Dharma Will" etc. that I think are excellent suggestions.
Josef

Postby Chaz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Dharmaswede wrote:Greetings,

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Jens

Andrew Holecek teaches on death and dying almost exclusively.

here's his web site: http://andrewholecek.com/

As far as I know Andrew's teaching is mainly confined to the US, but if you're interested in Bardo teachings, Pure Lands Dream Yoga and how it all ties together, Andrew's your guy.

I've taken several classes with Andrew and attended 3-4 Sukhavti ceremonies that he's led and he is great!

And Gordo - Andrew happens to be a close, personal friend of Reggie Ray's :rolling:

I'd also offer a recommendation to read Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche's "Mind Beyond Death". http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Beyond-Death ... _lmf_tit_1
Chaz

Postby Dharmaswede » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Thank you all for your responses. They are greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,

Jens
Dharmaswede

Postby Dhondrub » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Dhondrub

Postby Yontan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:34 am

In a certain sense, all of Buddhadharma is about death and dying.
Sogyal Rinpoche's book is still a classic.
Anyen Rinpoche says he wants every single practitioner to buy his book, because of how important he thinks the subject is and how he deals with it.
Ponlop Rinpoche is a very skilled teacher and his book is very helpful.
Best-best-best is to get instruction and practice a zhitro sadhana.
For the vast majority of us - practitioners included - the chonyi bardo will be basically a moment of blacking out from shock. From there we are impelled by our own karma.
Good luck to us all.
Yontan

Postby ground » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:52 am

These are the aspect for practicing "Mindfulness of death" which should be practiced continually with regards to oneself.

1. The contemplation that death is certain
1.1 The contemplation that the Lord of Death will definitely come, and therefore cannot be avoided
1.2 The contemplation that our lifetime connot be extended and constantly diminishes
1.3 The contemplation of the certainty of death such that even while you are alive there is little time for religious practice

2. The contemplation that the time of death is uncertain
2.1 The contemplation that the life span in this world is uncertain
2.2 The contemplation that the causes of death are very many and the causes of life are few
2.3 The contemplation that the time of death is uncertain because the body is very fragile

3. The contemplation that at the time of death nothing helps except religious practice
3.1 Friends will not help
3.2 Resources will not help
3.3 Your body will not help

Lama Tsongkhapa (LRCM)

In addition the mindfulness of the corpse in decay as taught by the Buddha in the context of Satipatthana Sutta is highly recommended

Kind regards

Edit: Oh ... now I have noticed that this is the Nyingma forum. Sorry. But I am sure that you will not take offence and with your openmindedness you will appreciate such precious teachings even from other traditions.
ground

Postby pemachophel » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:53 pm

IMHO, Choje Ayang Rinpoche is unexcelled when it comes to teaching on death and dying, especially the getting ready for dying part. His phowa course is excellent and I have only heard very good things about his shi-tro course (which I'm very much hoping to do). Although Ayang Rinpoche is titularly Drigung, he teaches both the Great Drikung phowa and the Longchen Nyingthing phowa, with students free to practice whichever they choose. (I mention this because I am responding in the Nyingma forum.) Ayang Rinpoche teaches all over the world. So it's possible he may be near you some time in the future. However, he also teaches his phowa course every winter in Bodhgaya, which people come from all over the world to attend.

I also appreciate very much Anyen Rinpoche's work in this field. Although Anyen Rinpoche is not so well know, he is a very good teacher. I think it's wonderful he's making this area of the Dharma one of his specialties. I highly recommend his book. Anyen Rinpoche will be teaching phowa in the Denver, CO area in a five-day retreat some time this September as part of an on-going series of teachings on death and dying. I believe he is trying to create a cadre of practitioners who can help others at this important juncture in our practice.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Return to Nyingma