How are Padmasambhava and Shakyamuni interrelated?

mmm

Re: How are Padmasambhava and Shakyamuni interrelated?

Postby mmm » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 am

I have heard one good teacher saying: The late Minling Trichen Rinpoche said "Who is Padmasambhava? All phenomena are Padmasambhava. Everything is Padmasambhava."

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:20 pm

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Perhaps Padmasambhava is seen as representational of the 3 Jewels, in the same way that Je Tsongkhapa is regarded within the Gelugpa and as expressed in the Migstema Prayer as the embodiment of Chenrezig etc. and in the Guru Yoga as having an omniscient mind.

In that sense the root guru is indeed all to the disciple. I have one version of the Migtsema prayer which describes JT as Buddha Shakyamuni, Vajradhara, Chenrezig, Manjushri and Vajrapani. I interpret that as verses in praise of one who embodies the positive attributes of these figures.

Maybe those who recite praises to Padmasambhava could comment on whether he is seen as the embodiment of the virtues of Shakyamuni, or as Shakyamuni himself.
Left

Josef

Postby Josef » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Pema Rigdzin

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:38 am

It is a very common Nyingma notion that Shakyamuni is said to have announced in a sutra that he would reappear in this world at lake Dhanakosha on a lotus, have the name Padmakara, and spread the inner tantras in this world. I can't remember the exact name of the sutra, but it's a Mahayana sutra that I believe contains "nirvana" in its title.

Pema Rigdzin

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:43 am

Pema Rigdzin

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:04 am

username

Postby username » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:31 pm

There is a specific source of a being that manifests to finish the task of each of the thousand & one Buddhas of this fortunate world system's eon, after they come down from Tushita & turn the wheel & parinirvana. In Shakyamuni's cycle he is known by the name Padmasambhava.

He said he is responsible for billions of other world systems too. When Yeshe Tsogyal asked how large is that number, he opened his chest and showed the numerous star systems to her. She fainted. Amitabha's super-domain, in which we live, is much vaster and he is the source of Padmasambhava's emanation. In that particular vast domain, all illusions of samsara & nirvana are in fact Amitabha and so for us Padmasambhava too.

No one comes to the rescue faster than Padmasambhava. If we don't see him is due to our obscurations & lack of merit. But he comes when invoked. We can simply use his practices or 7 line prayer or his essential mantra or even simpler single seed syllables of Ah or Hung or even Nama to invoke him. Above in front of us or on our crown chakra or if having empowerments as self-generation or in our heart center in the middle of our chest. Deciding on a rough image in our mind though the main thing is intention not detailed visualization. Once a day for a few seconds, then not worrying about image anymore and simple relaxtion of thoughts & body in his presence that encompasses everything. Then repeating the short enjoyable sessions more often daily.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes

conebeckham

Postby conebeckham » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:57 pm

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

gnegirl

Postby gnegirl » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:01 pm

"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?

Pema Rigdzin

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:51 am

Pema Rigdzin

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:03 am

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:01 am

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Pema Rigdzin

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:13 am

Return to “Nyingma”