Books which give an overview of Nyingma?

Luke

Books which give an overview of Nyingma?

Post by Luke »

Hello,

I am looking for some books which give a good overview of the Nyingma path to enlightenment (the nine yanas) and some general info about the school. I don't want a pile of Dzogchen books which are useless without a Nyingma lama. Which books do you recommend?

Luke

ground

Re: Books which give an overview of Nyingma?

Post by ground »

As far as the School ist concerned:

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=14761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sort of an encyclopedia

Kind regards
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

On the lineage I can only second TMingyur.
Concernig the path: in my opinion "The Lions Roar" by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche gives an excellent overview of the 9 Yanas. http://www.amazon.com/LIONS-Dharma-Ocea ... 0877736545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

best

Tashi
Pema Dorje

Post by Pema Dorje »

If you are not willing to pay over 60 dollars for that one, there is a cheaper book on Nyingma Buddhism, written by my teachers. :namaste:

http://www.snowlionpub.com/search.php?isbn=BUPAPR
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

H. H. Dungse Thinley Norbu Rinpoche wrote a thin volume
called "Small Golden Key" which, although very concise,
does have an overview of the nine yanas, as well as an
explanation of each of the 100 deities of the Shirto
Mandala.

All of his books are good for understanding the view
especially of vajrayana.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

"Words of my Perfect Teacher", Mipham Rinpoche
Shabkar's Autobiography

Neither of these are exclusively Nyingma but they certainly reflect a Nyingma flavor and view overall.

LIGHT OF FEARLESS INDESTRUCTIBLE WISDOM: The Life and Legacy of His Holiness Dudjom Rinpoche
(although not an overview of the Nyingma school in general)

THE BUDDHIST PATH: A Practical Guide from the Nyingma Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism
(both of these are by the Khenpo Brothers)

THE LOTUS-BORN: The Life Story of Padmasamhava, by Yeshe Tsogyal - I gave this text away some time ago but if it's the book I'm thinking of this is the story of Padmasambhava bringing Buddhism to Tibet and is thus the foundational story of the Nyingma.

I have not seen this but NYINGMAPA: Bodhgaya to Tsopema DVD, by HH Penor Rinpoche. The Snow Lion blurb says:
These teachings include wonderfully vivid footage from a pilgrimage from Bodhgaya to Tsopema, the sacred lake of Padmasambhava. Included are: Nyinmapa Grant Cerermony; several teachings by Penor Rinpoche; introductions to Bodhgaya and Tsopema; the story of Guru Rinpoche subjugating the king of Zahor; the footprints of Padmasambhava; and more. Comes with full-color booklet.
Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
udawa

Post by udawa »

Luke,

You might find this worth a look http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDeta ... 13&MATCH=2

This edition of Crystal Mirror is mostly about Nyingma history, but contains a lot of background material as well. If my memory serves me right, I think the historical stuff is derived from Dudjom Rinpoches Dharma History.

D
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Gates to Buddhist Practice by Chagdud Tulku is brief, accessible, and authoritative. If this is what you need.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

All those are ok ... but the Big Red Book is really "the" must!
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
orgyen jigmed

Post by orgyen jigmed »

Luke wrote:Hello,

I am looking for some books which give a good overview of the Nyingma path to enlightenment (the nine yanas) and some general info about the school. I don't want a pile of Dzogchen books which are useless without a Nyingma lama. Which books do you recommend?

Luke

If I may add another book to the excellent list provided, I would invite you to read, The Ri-me Philosophy of Jamgon Kongtrul the Great, by Ringu Tulku (Shambhala).

This book not only gives an overview of all the Buddhist linages that entered Tibet after the 8th centuary, but also discusses the commonalities and distinctions between the Nyingma and the Sarma schools, provided in chapter 7.

But in particular, I encourage you to read Mipham Rinpoche's Rebuttal of the Criticism of the Nyingma Tradition as well as Atisha's Statements on the Early Tantras, but not at the exclusion of other articles, which will give the reader the necessary background to appreciate the wealth of this Tradition.
"If the aspiration for enlightenment is your motivation in coming to see me, there is no remedy except meditative practice. I, too, will only practice." - Zurpoche Sakya Jungne
Enochian

Post by Enochian »

The Nyingma presentation of the 9 yanas serves ONLY to show the superiority of Dzogchen Menngagde. That is the ONLY purpose of the "nine yanas." :hi:
Last edited by Enochian on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is an ever-present freedom from grasping the mind.

Mind being defined as the thing always on the Three Times.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Everytime i see Guru Rinpoche's picture i can't help but smile :)
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gnegirl wrote:Everytime i see Guru Rinpoche's picture i can't help but smile :)
Yep - he's a good guy - :jumping:

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Nyingma”