Rinchen Terzod by Yangthang Rinpoche starts November 7th

Pema Rigdzin

Re: Rinchen Terzod by Yangthang Rinpoche starts November 7th

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

catmoon wrote:Hm. I have more beginners' questions. If you take seven or eight hundred empowerments, how can one possibly keep the samaya obligations? Is the term "empowerment" being used in the same sense a gelugpa would use it?
Hi Catmoon,

Yes, these are anuttarayoga tantric abishekas or empowerments. In the Nyingma tradition, one doesn't typically find the approach of assigning commitments of x amount of recitations of each mantra of each deity one received an empowerment for. Instead you generally find the approach of "accomplish one deity, you accomplish all" where one fulfills all one's commitments through the practice of guru yoga and one's yidam. All the other practices can then be practiced as needed, to fulfill a specific skillful means, should such a need arise.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

catmoon wrote:Hm. I have more beginners' questions. If you take seven or eight hundred empowerments, how can one possibly keep the samaya obligations? Is the term "empowerment" being used in the same sense a gelugpa would use it?
I am sure Gelupa also have something like 'sadana collection' which contains hundreds of dieties. and obviously not every Gelupa chant every mantra everyday.
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
narraboth wrote:hi pema rindzin....

would be nice to see rinpoche and you there, don't know if i can make it...
Narraboth,

Yeah, it would be really cool to meet you and for you to have this amazing opportunity. You know, Gyatrul Rinpoche has asked all of his students to do Kilaya practice, or at least recite the mantra, as much as we can in order to remove obstacles related to the wangchen proceeding smoothly and to our being able to attend (and for the other obvious reasons for Dharma practice, of course), so obviously we're all doing that. So, I invite you to join this huge group of us (in spirit) practicing Kilaya with that unified intention. Who knows, maybe some doors will open for you and you'll be able to attend if you'd really like to.
I will do even I can't join and just for rinpoche's health :)

Return to “Nyingma”