Shenphen Dawa's Summer 2014 Program

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Shenphen Dawa's Summer 2014 Program

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:25 am

I've been wanting to make a connection with the Dudjom lineage for a while now, so I'm thinking about attending some of these empowerments:

http://www.tersar.org/summer-2014-program/

Does anyone know what Tara wang will be offered?
I don't really know anything about Namchak Putri and Lion Headed Dakini, so if anyone has anything to say about that,
or anything related to this, I would be happy to hear.
ཨོཾ་ཏཱ་རེ་ཏུཏྟ་རེ་ཏུ་རེ་སྭཱཧཱ༔
dzogchungpa

Re: Shenphen Dawa's Summer 2014 Program

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:03 am

Namchak Putri is the Vajrakilaya practice revealed by Dudjom Lingpa.

On Vajrakilya:

Vajrakīlaya is a wrathful form of Vajrasattva, the pure vajra nature of Enlightenment. In this imagery, the Compassion of the Buddhas is expressed forcefully, to eradicate in a powerful way the entrenched ignorance and emotional afflictions which cause obstacles, interfering with auspicious circumstances and preventing the dawning of realisation. Thus, the symbol of compassion is the phurpa or phurbu, the ritual dagger which stabs the obstacles and hostile forces of embodied ignorance, and transmits their consciousness to the Buddha fields.

On this aspect of Vajrakilaya:

Out of the many wonderful traditions of Vajrakīlaya, the Dudjom Namchak Putri (The Meteoric Iron Razor which Vanquishes Māra) is one of the most extensive and profound. It carries the full consecration of the practice lineage. It is a spiritually direct revelation of special potency today. It integrates sacred words from the root Vajrakīlaya tantras with key components of the principal Vajrakīlaya lineages, and enlightened scholarship of the Vajrakīlaya commentarial traditions.

The Dudjom Namchak Putri (gNam lcags spu gri) has developed from the revelation of Heruka Dudjom Lingpa, the first Dudjom Rinpoche (1835-1904). Heruka Dudjom Lingpa was an enlightened master who had visionary encounters with Guru Rinpoche and the wisdom deities from early childhood, and who trained in the traditions of Dudul Dorje (1615-1672). He was recognised as a rebirth of Khye'u-chung Lotsawa, one of the heart students of Guru Rinpoche, and he revealed many Treasure texts. His Vajrakīlaya revelation of the Sealed Secret Heart Practice (Thugs sgrub gsang ba rgya can), included in Volume Ca of his Collected Works, is part of his famous Profound Secret Dākinī Heart Essence (Zab gsang mkha' 'gro snying thig) cycle. This revelation became the core of the Dudjom Namchak Putri, as presented by Heruka Dudjom Lingpa's recognised rebirth, Terchen Chokyi Gyalpo (Great Treasure Revealer, King of the Dharma), Kyabje Dudjom Rinpoche, Jigdrel Yeshe Dorje (1904-1987). The name, Namchak Putri, derives from the revelations of Dudul Dorje.
Excerpted from here: http://www.pemayoedling.org/Vajrakilaya.htm

Lion Headed Dakini is the same as Singhamukha, as you may be familiar with in the Tun practice compilations oF ChNN. However, this again is the Dudjom Tersar revelation of Singhamukha.
You can read in some detail about her on Vajranatha's website here: http://vajranatha.com/teaching/Simhamukha.htm
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:47 am

OK thanks. If one had to choose between the 2 empowerments at the beginning of August, or the 2 at the end, which do you think would make more sense for a Dudjom newbie?
dzogchungpa

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:33 am

I'd say that's totally up to you, regarding which deities you feel karmically drawn to.

Vajrakilaya and Troma are two major Dudjom cycles, people have attained rainbow body through both. . . Kilaya is the wrathful masculine principle --the yidam Padmasambhava achieved siddhi with while practicing in Yangleshod in Nepal. You can read a summary of this history at this link: http://books.google.com/books?id=25A_86QDpOEC&pg=PA19&lpg=PA19&dq=Yangleshod+Vajrakilaya+padmasambhava&source=bl&ots=CUnjCudk46&sig=JjLy_oqcDJucg5Dx4hmgoyi3L1o&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZtOoU8uCPeOosASAiIDQAg&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Yangleshod%20Vajrakilaya%20padmasambhava&f=false
In the Dudjom cycles, the Vajrakilaya has a very extensive tsa-lung yoga cycle that is profound. It is also the essential self-visualization practice one does when doing Dharmapala practices.

Troma is the wrathful black dakini, and is the cycle for all the Dudjom chod practices, with hauntingly beautiful melodies. It also is considered perhaps the swiftest path to total liberation, but it is not easy. .

If you want to dive into the depths of the Dudjom Tersar, you can not go wrong with either Kilaya or Troma, they are extremely important.

If you go for the Kilaya, you will still be getting the blessings of a wrathful Dakini --the Singhamukha.

If you go for Troma, it is both feminine-principle Yidams. I don't know which Tara it is, sorry.

I would meditate on it, and feel out what you are most drawn to.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:40 am

Actually, I just realized I can't go at the beginning of August, but thanks for the information. Is Troma more difficult than other practices?
dzogchungpa

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:46 am

dzogchungpa wrote:Actually, I just realized I can't go at the beginning of August, but thanks for the information. Is Troma more difficult than other practices?

Are you familiar with Chod?
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:51 am

Adamantine wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:Actually, I just realized I can't go at the beginning of August, but thanks for the information. Is Troma more difficult than other practices?

Well, I haven't practiced it, but I've read about it, and I have attended the healing Chod events with KDL's son. Doesn't Troma include everything, not just chod?
dzogchungpa

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:57 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Adamantine wrote:

Well, I haven't practiced it, but I've read about it, and I have attended the healing Chod events with KDL's son. Doesn't Troma include everything, not just chod?

Yeah, it's a complete path. . there is a specific Troma ngondro which is really beautiful and profound, a special Phowa, the practices of this Dudjom Troma Chod themselves are a type of Trekcho, there are profound Tsoks of this cycle, and there is Togal specific to this cycle as well. There's much more than even that, and the full translation of this cycle hasn't been completed yet afaik.
The majority of the disciples of both Dudjom Lingpa and HH Dudjom Rinpoche who accomplished rainbow body did so through the door of this Troma cycle.

It is absolutely extraordinary in every sense.

If you have a chance to connect with it in this life, which it seems you do, I wouldn't hesitate for an instant. That said, make sure you don't take it lightly either. There will be samaya with the wang, etc.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:18 am

Adamantine wrote:If you have a chance to connect with it in this life, which it seems you do, I wouldn't hesitate for an instant. That said, make sure you don't take it lightly either. There will be samaya with the wang, etc.

OK, thanks once again. I'm beginning to think it would be a good thing. There's also this:
http://chagdudgonpa.org/troma-nagmo-retreat/ which is a little closer to me.
dzogchungpa

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:52 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Adamantine wrote:If you have a chance to connect with it in this life, which it seems you do, I wouldn't hesitate for an instant. That said, make sure you don't take it lightly either. There will be samaya with the wang, etc.

OK, thanks once again. I'm beginning to think it would be a good thing. There's also this:
http://chagdudgonpa.org/troma-nagmo-retreat/ which is a little closer to me.

That sounds great. He is Lama Dawa Chhodak's brother, and I've only heard the best things about him. You should do that! If you are deeply touched by the practice and hooked, then you could always go to the wang with Shenphen Rinpoche as well. He is Dudjom Rinpoche's son and lineage holder, so receiving it through him carries a particularly profound blessing.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:57 am

Also, if you're in Northern Cali, have you not visited
Pema Osel Ling?

They are hosting a Throma retreat there right now,
and I heard that it "will conclude on Wednesday, June 25, with a Throma Siddhis tsok at 9am. All are welcome to join"
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby dzogchungpa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Adamantine wrote:Also, if you're in Northern Cali, have you not visited
Pema Osel Ling?

Actually, I have not. Shortly after the Chime Phagmai Nyingtik empowerment with DJKR in LA, I was planning to attend this:
http://www.berotsana.org/storage/TROMA%20RETREAT%20FLYER%202013%20web.pdf
but then sadly Lama Tharchin passed away. I had never seen him, but he had been at the empowerment only 2 weeks before, so it was kind of shocking.
dzogchungpa

Postby dzogchungpa » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Adamantine wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:OK, thanks once again. I'm beginning to think it would be a good thing. There's also this:http://chagdudgonpa.org/troma-nagmo-retreat/ which is a little closer to me.
That sounds great. He is Lama Dawa Chhodak's brother, and I've only heard the best things about him. You should do that! If you are deeply touched by the practice and hooked, then you could always go to the wang with Shenphen Rinpoche as well. He is Dudjom Rinpoche's son and lineage holder, so receiving it through him carries a particularly profound blessing.

Just got back from this. I think I may be hooked! :smile:
Also I heard there that Rachel Olds, of this thread: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3351, died on Friday. I guessed she lived there for a while so people were kind of affected by the news.
dzogchungpa

Postby ngodrup » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Lama Pema Dorje is in fact Lama Dawa'a brother.

Lama Pema Dorje is considered to be an incarnation of Padampa Sangye--
he spoke Sanskrit before he spoke Tibetan! If you want to study Dudjom
Lingpa's Throma Chod... he's the one. He also teaches Lu Jong, is the
main Dudjom Tsa Lung lineage holder, and is the main teacher of the
three year retreat at Pema Osel Ling. He speaks English fairly well.
ngodrup

Postby dzogchungpa » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks for the information. He is definitely an excellent lama, and he lives in Oakland!
:woohoo:
dzogchungpa

Postby Jikan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:27 pm

ngodrup wrote:Lama Pema Dorje is in fact Lama Dawa'a brother.

Lama Pema Dorje is considered to be an incarnation of Padampa Sangye--
he spoke Sanskrit before he spoke Tibetan! If you want to study Dudjom
Lingpa's Throma Chod... he's the one. He also teaches Lu Jong, is the
main Dudjom Tsa Lung lineage holder, and is the main teacher of the
three year retreat at Pema Osel Ling. He speaks English fairly well.

I've had teachings (one empowerment) from Lama Padma Dorje on two separate occasions. Unforgettable. He has such presence. If anyone should have the chance to meet him, I strongly encourage those persons to make it happen.
Jikan
Site Admin

Return to Nyingma