Dudjom Lineage Rigdzin Dupa: First English Translation

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Dudjom Lineage Rigdzin Dupa: First English Translation

Postby pema tsultrim » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:53 am

Dear Sangha,

I would like to share the joyous news with you, that Ven. Tulku Orgyen P'huntsok Rinpoche, of the Vairotsana Foundation in Santa Barbara, CA, has translated a rare text of the Dudjom Tersar. It is the Guru sadhana from the Khandro Nyingthig cycle of Dudjom Lingpa's treasures, and was re-discovered with modifications by Dudjom Rinpoche Jigdral Yeshe Dorje at age 19, at which time it became known as Rigdzin Dupa Dechen Namrol. Until now, it has been practiced exclusively by the yogic community of Khorlo Dratsang in Pemakod. Tulku Orgyen, in his previous incarnation as Togden Kunzang Longdrol (Togden Sithar) was handed the responsibility by Dudjom Rinpoche for preserving the yogic sangha in Pemakod, and Tulku la carries on that mission today.

For anyone interested in learning more about this text, available for the first time in English, and about Tulku's temple and retreat land in Pemakod you may visit: pemakoddharmawheel.org

If you are interested in learning this practice from its lineage holder, Tulku Orgyen P'huntsok, we will be holding our 4th annual Mantra-Thon for World Peace in Santa Barbara, CA on June 7,8 and 9 at Vairotsana Foundation Santa Barbara, when we will be accumulating 1 Million Vajra Guru Mantras, during Saga Dawa month. Tulku will give the transmission and teachings on this sadhana during the event, and we will use the sadhana as the basis for our retreat.

May All Beings Benefit!

Pema Tsultrim
pema tsultrim

Re: Dudjom Lineage Rigdzin Dupa: First English Translation

Postby Karma Jinpa » Thu May 01, 2014 11:43 am

pema tsultrim wrote:It is the Guru sadhana from the Khandro Nyingthig cycle of Dudjom Lingpa's treasures, and was re-discovered with modifications by Dudjom Rinpoche Jigdral Yeshe Dorje at age 19, at which time it became known as Rigdzin Dupa Dechen Namrol. Until now, it has been practiced exclusively by the yogic community of Khorlo Dratsang in Pemakod.

Is this the same Rigdzin Dupa practice done in the Palyul lineage, do you know? I remember doing a Rigdzin Dupa tsok on more than one occasion; pretty much every time we had Khenchen Tsewang Gyatso Rinpoche present for teachings/empowerment, in fact.
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

:namaste:
Karma Jinpa

Postby pemachophel » Thu May 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Karma Jinpa,

No, I don't think so. I believe you're talking about the Longchen Nyingthig Rigdzin Dupa. This is a different Rigdzin Dupa.

Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Postby conebeckham » Thu May 01, 2014 3:46 pm

Rigdzin Dupa is usually used to refer to the inner guru practice of the Longchen Nyingthik. That's what is done in Palyul centers.

The Sadhana the OP is discussing is from Dudjom Tersar, and had not previously been available in translation, etc. Normally, the main guru practice in Dudjom Tersar is tsokyi thugtik, I think.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Karma Jinpa » Thu May 01, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks for the clarification to the both of you. What an auspicious thing to have a text newly available! If it's anything like the DT ngondro, I'm sure it will be simply elegant, and profoundly practical.

:thumbsup:
"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, it happens that a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་རཱ་ག་ཨ་སྱ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

Karma Jinpa

Postby conebeckham » Thu May 01, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm a fan of LN Rigdzin Dupa, so I'd love to see this Dudjom Tersar practice, when the time is right.....perhaps it will spread to the other Dudjom folks in Nor Cal eventually....
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby T. Chokyi » Mon May 12, 2014 1:44 am

conebeckham wrote:I'm a fan of LN Rigdzin Dupa, so I'd love to see this Dudjom Tersar practice, when the time is right.....perhaps it will spread to the other Dudjom folks in Nor Cal eventually....

I would also love to see it, and there's no time like the present.

The Sadhana can be ordered on his site at this time, it is for a donation of $20.00 dollars and I just ordered it today.

I asked if there were any specific criteria to be met before practicing the Sadhana, Rinpoche said that you would have had to have a Guru Rinpoche empowerment. I asked if that included from say HHDL when he did the Eight Manifestations of Guru Rinpoche and he said yes, or when Khenchen Tsewang Rinpoche gives Guru Rinpoche empowerment in Palyul and he said yes, that you can buy the text with any Guru Rinpoche empowerment, he used the word "Wang", because I also asked about just a lung being sufficient, so a full Guru Rinpoche empowerment counts.

So, I bought the text and wanted to share that with Cone or anybody else on the thread that wants to order this Rigdzin Dupa Sadhana, and also give the specific link for buying it which is here on this page:

http://pemakoddharmawheel.org/whats-new/

You can use paypal and put a note that you would like the Sadhana sent to your address.

Thanks to Pema as well for posting the information for the formal teaching etc... as my email address somehow was deleted from Tulku's bulk mailings, and the only way I knew about it was reading what Pema said here on Dharma Wheel, so thank you for that.

Sincerely,
T. Chokyi
T. Chokyi

Postby Adamantine » Mon May 12, 2014 4:53 am

:twothumbsup:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Rroman » Wed May 14, 2014 12:15 am

Tashi delek,

Is there any way of somehow, does anybody think, of receiving this sadhana here in India or Nepal? I'm not going back to the states any time soon. And would like to do this practice.

Thanks,
Roman
Rroman

Postby T. Chokyi » Wed May 14, 2014 1:28 am

Rroman wrote:Tashi delek,

Is there any way of somehow, does anybody think, of receiving this sadhana here in India or Nepal? I'm not going back to the states any time soon. And would like to do this practice.

Thanks,
Roman

Hi Roman,

Above the paypal link on the web page offering the Sadhana, there is an email address. Perhaps the practitioner who first posted the information is the person you'll be able to reach at that email address. She/he could answer your question about the possibility of shipping the Sadhana to Nepal.

I'd just write and inquire, perhaps include your shipping address with the question. :thumbsup:

Sincerely,
T. Chokyi
T. Chokyi

Postby Lhasa » Wed May 14, 2014 1:34 am

T. Chokyi wrote:Hi Roman,

Above the paypal link on the web page offering the Sadhana, there is an email address. Perhaps the practitioner who first posted the information is the person you'll be able to reach at that email address. She/he could answer your question about the possibility of shipping the Sadhana to Nepal.

I'd just write and inquire, perhaps include your shipping address with the question. :thumbsup:

Sincerely,
T. Chokyi

T. Chokyi, may I ask for one more pm? :smile:
Lhasa

Postby T. Chokyi » Wed May 14, 2014 1:55 am

Lhasa wrote:
T. Chokyi, may I ask for one more pm? :smile:

Hi Lhasa,

I am not overseeing any aspect of Rinpoche's correspondence for the Sadhana, but you can ask any question about the
practice to the email address, I'm sure they will answer.

I get the feeling maybe this does not have to do with the Sadhana?

:rolling:

Yes, please PM. Is it working?
T. Chokyi

Postby pema tsultrim » Mon May 26, 2014 4:53 pm

dechennamrolsmall.jpg
dechennamrolsmall.jpg (54.04 KiB) Viewed 915 times
TulkuLaLotusHat.jpg
TulkuLaLotusHat.jpg (113.96 KiB) Viewed 910 times
TogdenSitharSmall.jpg
TogdenSitharSmall.jpg (99.38 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Hi Everyone,

I'm glad to see there is interest in this new text. In response to various questions since I first posted:

It is similar to, but distinct from, the Rigdzin Dupa of Lonchen Nyingthig, in that it is a more extensive Guru Sadhana that includes Tsog and Protector practices, tormas, and so forth (as opposed to the simple Shower of Blessings practice performed at many Nyingma centers). In this sadhana, however, the central GR figure is not shown in union with consort, but is single, in the Nangsi Zilnon form, with one foot and Dorje hand downard. He has a more wrathful expression than other forms, and has a third eye blazing in his forehead. He is surrounded by the 8 manifestations of GR.

This sadhana was originally revealed by Dudjom Lingpa (LN was revealed by Jigme Lingpa), as part of a cycle known as Khandro Nyingthig (not older one that is part of the Nyingthig Yabzhi, but a New Treasure). At that time it was the main Guru sadhana of the Dudjom treasures. It was later rediscovered by Dudjom Rinpoche Jigdral Yeshe Dorje as a Mind Treasure with modifications, and then became known by its current name Dechen Namrol (Display of Great Exaltation).

For some reason, it was not spread widely, but Dudjom Rinpoche, when he established the ngakpa community in upper Pemakod (the Tibetan side) , specier Pefically established this sadhana as part of the central practices of his yogis there.When the community moved to lower Pemakod (the India side), he appointed one of his heart disciples, a great hidden Dzogchen yogi and Chod master names Togden Kunzang Longdrol (aka Togden Sithar) as the head of the nagkpa sangha. He was entrusted with the task of making a retreat land, building a Zangdokpalri temple and maintaining the Dudjom Lineage there, as well as preserving sacred statues and relics that Dudjom Rinpoche had rescued from Tibet at great peril. Among those artifacts were two stupas, one that contains the relics of Dudjom Rinpoche's mother and the other the relics of his root own root lama, Gyurme Ngedon Wangpo. Togden did all he was asked, but was unable to complete the temple. Tulku Orgyen P'huntsok is Togden's reincarnation and completed the Zangdokpalri temple last year. It was a decade in the making due to the land's extremely remote location at the Heart of the King of Guru Rinpoche's Hidden Lands. The Dechen Namrol sadhana remains a constant practice at this place known as Deden Tashi Choling, both as the monthly 10th day tsog and also as part of the 3 Roots accumulations that all the yogis and yoginis perform in Three Year Retreat there. The statues and stupas have also been restored.

It seems this specific sadhana is a gift to the Pemakod Dudjom Tradition, and because of Tulku's important connection to PK and this sadhana, he has done a great service to us here in the West by giving us the opportunity to connect with a unique spiritual Treasure of the Dudjom Lineage.

Definitely check out [url]pemakoddharmawheel.org[/url] for more information and pictures of the temple and statues, including the GR stature based on the Dechen Namrol sadhana, and to make a donation in exchange for a copy of the text.

If you have any questions about the June 6-8 retreat in Santa Barbara, or about the text, please don't hesitate to PM me. I'm the event organizer and I have been helping Tulku La out with the text publication.

Of possible interest is that Tulku told me he hopes to teach and lead practice on this sadhana at the Zuni Mountain Stupa in New Mexico at the end of July during our annual summer retreat there. The Zuni stupa is the subject of another thread on this forum. I would highly recommend attending if you have never been, or if you are interested in this practice. The retreat in SB, by the way, is only going to be either a $30 or $50 suggested donation for the full weekend, which includes teachings on Friday evening, lunch on Saturday and Sunday, tsog practices Sat and Sun evenings, as well as all teachings, transmissions, 24 hr mantra recitation, and probably the opportunity to purchase a copy of the text. Can't beat that, all in beautiful Santa Barbara.

Warm Regards,

Pema Tsultrim
pema tsultrim

Postby pema tsultrim » Tue May 27, 2014 6:09 am

Rroman wrote:Tashi delek,

Thanks,
Roman

Hi Roman,

I asked Tulku la about shipping to India or Nepal for a practitioner there, and he said that for a sincere practitioner, it would be okay for that person to order the text, but due to the cost and uncertainty of shipping items to India or Nepal, we at our modest center do not have the funds to ship ourselves. However, I am thinking that a way around this would be if you have a connection in the U.S., particularly California, you could have the text mailed to that person, and if they were willing to ship it to you, via Fed Ex, USPS Media Mail or another reliable method, then you could obtain the sadhana. You would want to try to find a Dudjom Lineage holder there who could give you lung and tri, though. Our center's founding lama, Ven. Bhakha Tulku Rinpoche, who is also Tulku la's uncle, is a Dudjom lieage holder and his family lives not far from Dudjom Rinpoche's monastery in Nepal. They also have Pemakod connections, so if you could try to track them down, this might be a good route. There are others in the area though.

Best of luck, and Warm Regards,

P.T.
pema tsultrim

Postby T. Chokyi » Tue May 27, 2014 12:24 pm

pema tsultrim wrote:Can't beat that, all in beautiful Santa Barbara.
Warm Regards,
Pema Tsultrim

Hi Pema,

Santa Barbara is a beautiful place, it reminds me of a pureland, just incredible, but if you decide to work with this precious master on live streaming any part of his teachings (which he authorizes) such as using Ustream http://www.ustream.tv/ or if you work with Tulku-la on any aspect of recorded teachings and he makes those available, please let us know with a link here on DW.

Sincerely,
T. Chokyi
T. Chokyi

Postby Rroman » Thu May 29, 2014 4:00 am

Thank you for your response. I will try and see what I can do to have it brought to me. I recently recieved the wangs and lungs from dudjom lingpa that dudjom yangsi gave in Pharping this month. is I believe I have the lung and the wang.

I am also looking into going to pemakod within a few weeks do to retreat there. I am still waiting for an email on some details.

All the best
Rroman

Postby Kunzangla » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:56 pm

Roarman it seems you attended Yangsi Rinpoche wang lung this year, me too.
Do you have sadhana practice book of the collection in english+tibetan?
Did you get wang and lung of Kyabje jigdral Tersar collection?
Kunzangla

Postby Rroman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:49 am

No I don't have a collection of the sadhanas. Though I am slowly collecting as much as I can. Do you have them? And no, I didn't attend the wangs two years ago.

I am wondering if there is a pdf file I could have. I would donate the cost of the hard copy. If this is possible, which I think it could be, I would be great full.

R
Rroman

Postby Kunzangla » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:24 pm

I am also lookin into it.
But its Saka Dawa so i am more like just
reciting what i have right now which is
the very short sadhana on 3 root we got during wang
with vajrasattva, guru yoga and manada.
I have never done a ngondro before and
I didnt get Tersar Collection of Kyabje J.Y.D.
of 2012 like you.
Do you feel confident practicing the collection we
got this year despite that?
Have you done Ngondro before?
Kunzangla

Postby pema tsultrim » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:27 pm

FYI...

2014 Summer Retreat at the
Zuni Stupa, NM

Dear Sangha,
We are pleased to announce our annual mid-summer retreat with
Tulku Orygen Rinpoche and the Vairotsana Lamas, July 25-27, 2014.

This year, the retreat will be conducted with special teachings and practices based on the sadhana of Rigdzin Dupa (The Assembly of Vidyadharas) from the Dudjom Tersar lineage. Tulku Orgyen Rinpoche has just translated this rare text and made it available for the first time in English. For more information visit pemakoddharmawheel.org and click on "What's New."

Email vairotsana.nm.retreats@gmail.com for more information and register online at: http://zunimountainstupa.org/events-retreats/

May All Beings Benefit!

Retreat Schedule

Friday July 25th
1pm: Registration opens
6pm: Dinner with the Sangha in the dining tent
7:30-9pm: Teaching: “Essential view and practice of Vajrayana.”

Saturday July 26th
7am: Breakfast
8:30am-10am & 10:30am-12pm:
Teaching, Transmission, and Practice of Rigdzin Dupa Sadhana.
(attendance for transmission is required for weekend participation)
12:30pm: Lunch
2-3:30 & 4-5:30pm: Practice and Tsok Offering.
6pm: Dinner
7:30-9pm: Teaching: “The role of sadhana in Vajrayana.”

Sunday July 27th
7am: Breakfast
8:30am-10am & 10:30am-12pm: Teachings & Practice 

12:30pm: Lunch
2-3:30 & 4-5:30pm: Practice and Tsok Offering
7:30-9pm: Sangha music and dance circle

I hope you will all make every effort to attend this precious event.

Warm Regards,

Pema Tsultrim
pema tsultrim

Next

Return to Nyingma