Most recent terma?

yegyal

Re: Most recent terma?

Post by yegyal »

Clarence wrote:There are many termas being revealed in eastern Tibet. Unfortunately, we hardly hear about them here in the west. There are many great Lamas still in Tibet, doing things the old way, having realized students, and bringing the Dharma to many people. They just don't have the internet. :smile:
Oh they have internet in Kham and Amdo. Some of the tertons even have websites.
http://www.religion.northwestern.edu/fa ... ne2010.pdf
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Well, Namkha Drimed Rinpoche is one of the more well known living tertons, who is probably continuing to reveal terma.. so I would include his ter at the top of the list.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
heart

Post by heart »

dzogchungpa wrote:
MaitriYNOD wrote:I know H.H. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche revealed some mind termas that are currently being practiced.
Are you thinking of the Rangjung Peme Nyingtik? I am very interested in that. Is it actually being taught and/or practiced now?
Sure, he had a bunch of other termas as well.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
heart

Post by heart »

mutsuk wrote:ChNNR's Klong-gsal works are styled as "mnal chos", i.e. teachings (chos) discovered during sleep/dream (mnal).
Are "mnal chos" considered terma mutsuk?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

heart wrote: Are "mnal chos" considered terma mutsuk?
No. Tertöns generally distinguish mnal-chos and termas quite clearly. The conditions for revealing one or the other are different.
Pero

Post by Pero »

mutsuk wrote:
No. Tertöns generally distinguish mnal-chos and termas quite clearly. The conditions for revealing one or the other are different.
Can you elaborate on the conditions for each?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

Younge Khachab Rinpoche is a terton, and he is in his early 50s. I am not aware of any dates of him receiving/finding termas, but unless it was very early in his life the termas would be recent (more or less).

Jens
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Has anyone every seen his termas?
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

yegyal wrote:
Clarence wrote:There are many termas being revealed in eastern Tibet. Unfortunately, we hardly hear about them here in the west. There are many great Lamas still in Tibet, doing things the old way, having realized students, and bringing the Dharma to many people. They just don't have the internet. :smile:
Oh they have internet in Kham and Amdo. Some of the tertons even have websites.
http://www.religion.northwestern.edu/fa ... ne2010.pdf
Ah yes, true. I guess what I meant to say but did not do very well is that most Rinpoches who come to the west are either born in India or have been living there (or Nepal or the west) for a very long time. There are relatively few Rinpoches visiting directly from Tibet. The one I met definitely was a whole lot different from the ones coming from India.

Thanks for the article though.
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

Clarence wrote:Has anyone every seen his termas?
They are in the process of being translated. He has taught "according to his own treasure revelations and experience", but I am not aware of any actual empowerments.

Jens
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

mutsuk wrote:
So ChNN just calls his "mnal chos" termas, even though they actually are no termas at all? :thinking:
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Instead of calling Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's Longsal Teachings "termas" or "mnal chos", how about:
Lhug-Pa wrote:rMi-lam gTer
Now I don't think that Chögyal Namkhai Norbu refers to them as such, however I also don't think that rMi-lam gTer is a terminology invented by Jim Valby, John Myrdhin Reynolds, or Rangjung Yeshe Wiki either.
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Lhug-Pa wrote:Instead of calling Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's Longsal Teachings "termas" or "mnal chos", how about:
Lhug-Pa wrote:rMi-lam gTer
Now I don't think that Chögyal Namkhai Norbu refers to them as such, however I also don't think that rMi-lam gTer is a terminology invented by Jim Valby, John Myrdhin Reynolds, or Rangjung Yeshe Wiki either.
Well, I guess they didn't invent the term, but since you mentioned it -- if I google for "rmi lam gter", I only find websites/dictionaries referencing to either Jim or John. In comparsion: if I google for "sa gter" (earth termas) for example, I find quite a lot of different references beside John & Jim....

Anyway, all I know is that ChNN's "klong chen 'od gsal mkha' 'gro'i snying thig" is also called Longsal Terma Cycle, and the different practices/teachings from the Longsal cycle are called termas as well (for example, "Oral Commentary on the Longsal Terma The Opening of the Gate to the State of Ati", etc.). And since milam termas are apparently only one category of termas, I see no problem in calling these teachings from ChNN just termas.

What I'm wondering about is that statement from Mutsuk, i.e., that the Longsal cycle is styled as "mnal chos", which is, according to her, different from a milam terma (and also different from termas in general) :shrug:
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Terma have a a ter-shad, two circles separated by a short horizontal line, at the end of each line (as opposed to the ordinary shad which is a simple straight vertical line). If an author doesn't use such ter-shad, it would be one strong signal to me and the rest of the Tibetan world that He or She does not consider Their work terma.

Personally, I have never heard or seen the term mi-lam ter-ma before in any Tibetan description or discussion of the various types of terma.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

pemachophel wrote:Terma have a a ter-shad, two circles separated by a short horizontal line, at the end of each line (as opposed to the ordinary shad which is a simple straight vertical line). If an author doesn't use such ter-shad, it would be one strong signal to me and the rest of the Tibetan world that He or She does not consider Their work terma.

Personally, I have never heard or seen the term mi-lam ter-ma before in any Tibetan description or discussion of the various types of terma.

:namaste:

Ter shad is there in Longsal.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Never seen rmi-lam gter in traditional literature on the subject.

mnal-chos is the expression used in the english prefaces of ChNNR's Klong-gsal.
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

T. Chokyi wrote:Ter shad is there in Longsal.
that's right -- for example, in the Longsal book vol. 2 it even says: "... written with molten gold, followed by these verses in excelent Tibetan uchen script with two dots, one on the top and the other, separating each syllable, and the terma sign at the end of each line."
mutsuk wrote:mnal-chos is the expression used in the english prefaces of ChNNR's Klong-gsal.
that's right, too.
pemachophel wrote:Personally, I have never heard or seen the term mi-lam ter-ma before in any Tibetan description or discussion of the various types of terma.
mutsuk wrote:Never seen rmi-lam gter in traditional literature on the subject.
hmm... THAT is rather strange... actually, the next question I wanted to ask was: then what's the difference between "rmi lam gter" and "mnal chos"? but after trying in vain to find any further information about "rmi lam gter", and after reading your two responses, I got to wonder: are Jim Valby and Vajranatha really the only people who use or know this term??? And Mutsuk, are you really sure that mnal chos is generally not considered as terma? Because even in the DC glossary by Jakob Winkler, he clearly says: "Klong chen 'od gsal mkha' 'gro'i snying thig = "Heart Essence of the Dakinis of the Radiant Universe", cycle of terma teaching by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu"...
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Bhusuku wrote: And Mutsuk, are you really sure that mnal chos is generally not considered as terma?
It is traditionally associated with pure visions (dag snang).
heart

Post by heart »

mutsuk wrote:
Bhusuku wrote: And Mutsuk, are you really sure that mnal chos is generally not considered as terma?
It is traditionally associated with pure visions (dag snang).
http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Pure_Vision

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

This wiki definition is actually misleading since not all dag-snang can be classified as gter-ma. It however clearly distinguishes nye-brgyud gter-ma (short lineage treasures) from zab-mo dag snang (profound pure visions). But as said, not all persons who have dag-snang can be or must be considered as gter-ston.
It would seem that ChNNR has other cycles of revealed teachings (such as those associated with the Bla med snying thig) which are clearly gter-ma.

Return to “Nyingma”