Coupla Personal Dudjom Shrines

Tsultrim T.

Re: Coupla Personal Dudjom Shrines

Post by Tsultrim T. »

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forums here and thought I would share some photos of some tormas I had made by a friend. He is a Bhutanese practitioner who is a student of HH Chatral Rinpoche and makes tormas out of a wood/clay combo and then hand paints them. I had most of the tormas for Dudjom tersar made although he can do Longchen Nyingtig, Palyul, Mindroling, or pretty much any Nyingma linage tormas as far as I know. He also carves very high quality wooden phurbas too (i'll see if I can find a picture).

PS-Sorry for the poor picture quality.
Attachments
Throma additional tormas
Throma additional tormas
DSCN1810.JPG (66.73 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
Throma main torma
Throma main torma
DSCN1810_2.JPG (61.1 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Any contact info?

Yudron, BTW, I recently purchased one of Rinchen Barwa's Lha-gya Tor-chig and it is beautiful. IMO, well worth the money. Thanks for starting this thread.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

pemachophel wrote:Any contact info?

Yudron, BTW, I recently purchased one of Rinchen Barwa's Lha-gya Tor-chig and it is beautiful. IMO, well worth the money. Thanks for starting this thread.

I'm really impressed with how solid it is, too.
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

pemachophel wrote:Any contact info?

At this point no really. I had a friend order and ship them for me since the artist takes a long time to make them. If you are interested in them pm me and I can see about setting it up.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

I spent several hours on Saturday trying to make tormas out of Sculpey. This turned out to be much more difficult than I had anticipated. The Sculpey got very taffy-like and hard to work with. It was too sticky. Each time I tried to lift it off the surface I was working on, it pulled the torma out of shape. I found that, if I let each torma sit for a while between trying to shape it, it was not so plastic, but this had it's own drawbacks. Anyone have any tips for working with Sculpey?
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

pemachophel wrote:I spent several hours on Saturday trying to make tormas out of Sculpey. This turned out to be much more difficult than I had anticipated. The Sculpey got very taffy-like and hard to work with. It was too sticky. Each time I tried to lift it off the surface I was working on, it pulled the torma out of shape. I found that, if I let each torma sit for a while between trying to shape it, it was not so plastic, but this had it's own drawbacks. Anyone have any tips for working with Sculpey?
It's been a while since I did. For tormas you always want to use "super sculpy" not just sculpy. I don't find it being sticky at all. Is is hard when it is cold, but gets softer when you work it (when it warms up a little--but of course after it is baked it is permanently solidified).

You might also want to check out the epoxy clay products from http://www.avesstudio.com. These people are the only ones who make these products and they are not really scary smelly like epoxy itself. You can see people on YouTube working with these products. The problem with them is that they are only workable for a few hours.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Thanks Yudron, I'll try one of their products. :anjali:

Return to “Nyingma”