Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby tomamundsen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:31 am

Hi,

I'm trying to put together a curriculum for myself to study Nyingma scriptures. I know that the Guhyagarbha Tantra and Longchenpa's Treasuries are important, but not much else other than that. I have also found the curriculum at Namdroling's shedra. Does anyone else have input on what texts are important to study for Nyingmapas, and in what order?

Thanks!
User avatar
tomamundsen
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby deff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:48 am

i'm far from an expert on this - but my teacher emphasizes the study of the Bodhicharyavatara by Shantideva, the Madhyamakavatara by Chandrakirti, and the Uttaratantra Shastra by Maitreya as far as sutra-level studies goes (these are the main three he emphasizes).

then there's also the famous red book by Dudjom Rinpoche on the history and fundamentals of the Nyingma school

and there's Jigme Lingpa's Treasury of Precious Qualities which covers the entire sutra and tantra path including Dzogchen (the first sutra half is published in english and the second tantra half will be published next april). In the intro, HHDL says he recommends the study of this text to those who wish to follow the Nyingma teachings and Dzogchen in particular, as they're easier to approach than Longchenpa's works. (or something to this effect) :smile:
deff
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby Yudron » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:02 am

deff wrote:i'm far from an expert on this - but my teacher emphasizes the study of the Bodhicharyavatara by Shantideva, the Madhyamakavatara by Chandrakirti, and the Uttaratantra Shastra by Maitreya as far as sutra-level studies goes (these are the main three he emphasizes).

then there's also the famous red book by Dudjom Rinpoche on the history and fundamentals of the Nyingma school

and there's Jigme Lingpa's Treasury of Precious Qualities which covers the entire sutra and tantra path including Dzogchen (the first sutra half is published in english and the second tantra half will be published next april). In the intro, HHDL says he recommends the study of this text to those who wish to follow the Nyingma teachings and Dzogchen in particular, as they're easier to approach than Longchenpa's works. (or something to this effect) :smile:


I don't want to be a brat, but since you have limited free time, why not emphasize practice and reading Namthars. If you feel you have to study, the most important studying you could do would be to learning to read classical Tibetan fluently while you are young. Every year you get older, language acquisition gets harder. :soapbox:
Yudron
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm
Location: Sunny California

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby deff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:10 am

good advice :thumbsup:
deff
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby tomamundsen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:12 am

Yudron wrote:
deff wrote:i'm far from an expert on this - but my teacher emphasizes the study of the Bodhicharyavatara by Shantideva, the Madhyamakavatara by Chandrakirti, and the Uttaratantra Shastra by Maitreya as far as sutra-level studies goes (these are the main three he emphasizes).

then there's also the famous red book by Dudjom Rinpoche on the history and fundamentals of the Nyingma school

and there's Jigme Lingpa's Treasury of Precious Qualities which covers the entire sutra and tantra path including Dzogchen (the first sutra half is published in english and the second tantra half will be published next april). In the intro, HHDL says he recommends the study of this text to those who wish to follow the Nyingma teachings and Dzogchen in particular, as they're easier to approach than Longchenpa's works. (or something to this effect) :smile:


I don't want to be a brat, but since you have limited free time, why not emphasize practice and reading Namthars. If you feel you have to study, the most important studying you could do would be to learning to read classical Tibetan fluently while you are young. Every year you get older, language acquisition gets harder. :soapbox:

Hi Yudron. Thank you for your advice, I understand. Yes, I am learning to read Tibetan now. My plan is to read the texts in Tibetan. I'm just kind of getting carried away making plans in advance for studying, which is how I always approach everything. :oops:
User avatar
tomamundsen
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby deepbluehum » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:12 am

tomamundsen wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to put together a curriculum for myself to study Nyingma scriptures. I know that the Guhyagarbha Tantra and Longchenpa's Treasuries are important, but not much else other than that. I have also found the curriculum at Namdroling's shedra. Does anyone else have input on what texts are important to study for Nyingmapas, and in what order?

Thanks!


Words of My Perfect Teacher
deepbluehum
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:05 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby Yudron » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:26 am

tomamundsen wrote:
Yudron wrote:
deff wrote:i'm far from an expert on this - but my teacher emphasizes the study of the Bodhicharyavatara by Shantideva, the Madhyamakavatara by Chandrakirti, and the Uttaratantra Shastra by Maitreya as far as sutra-level studies goes (these are the main three he emphasizes).

then there's also the famous red book by Dudjom Rinpoche on the history and fundamentals of the Nyingma school

and there's Jigme Lingpa's Treasury of Precious Qualities which covers the entire sutra and tantra path including Dzogchen (the first sutra half is published in english and the second tantra half will be published next april). In the intro, HHDL says he recommends the study of this text to those who wish to follow the Nyingma teachings and Dzogchen in particular, as they're easier to approach than Longchenpa's works. (or something to this effect) :smile:


I don't want to be a brat, but since you have limited free time, why not emphasize practice and reading Namthars. If you feel you have to study, the most important studying you could do would be to learning to read classical Tibetan fluently while you are young. Every year you get older, language acquisition gets harder. :soapbox:

Hi Yudron. Thank you for your advice, I understand. Yes, I am learning to read Tibetan now. My plan is to read the texts in Tibetan. I'm just kind of getting carried away making plans in advance for studying, which is how I always approach everything. :oops:


Me, too, darlin'! I've been exactly like you in this way, but I wasted some time that way and my lamas have redirected me. I'm really glad you are learning Tibetan. Most great lamas focus on a few great texts, such as the Kunsang Lama'i Shelung and the Cho Ying Dzod and read them over and over. Don't forget the short text "Ri Chö" (Mountain Retreat) by Dudjom Rinpoche--that text alone is really sufficient in itself.
Yudron
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm
Location: Sunny California

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby tomamundsen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:40 am

Yudron wrote:Me, too, darlin'! I've been exactly like you in this way, but I wasted some time that way and my lamas have redirected me. I'm really glad you are learning Tibetan. Most great lamas focus on a few great texts, such as the Kunsang Lama'i Shelung and the Cho Ying Dzod and read them over and over.

Thanks! Yes, I should just focus more on learning the language. I thought that immediately after posting this. Because I'm sure it will take me years before I can really attempt to read any of these texts.
User avatar
tomamundsen
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:34 am

Just for your information, the curriculum at Namdroling Monastery. It is the biggest Nyingma Shedra in India, of the late Penor Rinpoche in the Palyul sub-lineage.

http://www.palyul.org/eng_shed04_academic.htm

LOWER SUTRA COURSE - 1st year

Major Subjects:
1. Domsum Narmnge (Ascertaining the Three Vows) Panchen Pema Wangyel
2. Commentary,"Rigzin Jugngog" (The Track of Vidyadharas) Khenpo Yönten Gyatso
3. Bodhisattvacharyavatara (Engaging in the conducts of Bodhisattva) Acharya Shantideva
4. Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa


Minor Subjects:
5. Lungtenpai Tsawa Sumchupa (Tibetan Grammar; "Thirty Verses") Thumi Sambota
6. Commentary, "Norbui Melong" (Mirror of Gems) Or Khenpo Tsundrue
Commentary, "Trulgi Demig" (Miraculous Key) Shenphen Thaye
7. Mula Sarvastivadin Sramanera Karika (Verses on the Precepts of Novice) Acharya Nargajuna
8. Commentary, "Norbui Trengwa" (Rosary of Gems) Mipham Rinpoche
9. Vishekhastava (Praise of Distinction to the Buddha) Udbhatasiddhaswami
10. Commentary Prajna Varma
11. Tagrig (Dialectical Syllogism) Khenpo Tsundrue
12. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part I) Dudjom
13. English Language


LOWER SUTRA COURSE — 2nd year

Major Subjects:
1. Madhyamakalankara Karika (The Ornament of the Middle Way) Acharya Shantarakshita
2. Commentary, "Jamyang Lama Gyepai Shellung"
(Words of the delighted Master Manjugosha) Mipham
3. Khepai Tsulla Jugpai Go (Entrance to the Ways of the Wise) Mipham


Minor Subiects:
4. Yidshin Zöth Drubdue
(Condensed Tenet Concepts from the Treasury of Wish-fulfilling Gem) Mipham
5. Datroeth Taggi Jugpa (Tibetan Grammar, "The Conjugation of Genders" ) Thumi Sambota
6. Commentary, "Norbui Melong" (Mirror of Gems) Khenpo Tsundrue

Commentary, "Trulgi Demig" (Miraculous Key) Shenphen Thaye
7. Tibetan Political History (Until Trisöng's Reign) Dudjom
8. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part II and III) Dudjom
9. English Language


LOWER SUTRA COURSE — 3rd year

Major Subjects:
1. Madhyamakavatara (Entering the Middle Way) Acharya Chandrakirti
2. Commentary Acharya Chandrakirti
3. Madhyamaka Prajna Mula Karika
(Root Verses on the Middle Way called Wisdom) Acharya Nagarjuna
4. Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
5. Catur Sataka Karika (Four Hundred Verses on the Middle Way) Acharya Aryadeva
6. Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
Minor Subiects:
7. Pramana Nyaya Prabhesha (Door to Dialectical Logic) Acharya Dignaga
8. Dben Natmige Sherub Ralch (Ascertaining the facts called Sword of Wisdom) Mipham
9. Kabyadarsha (First half of the middle chapter)
(Treatise on Poetry & Composition called Mirror) Acharya Dandi
10. Commentary Mipham
11. Tibetan Political History (From Trisöng's reign to Langdar's reign) Dudjom
12. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part IV) Dudjom
13. English Language


LOWER SUTRA COURSE — 4th year

Major Subjects:
1. Abhidharma Kosa Karika (Treasury of Explicit Teachings) Acharya Vasubhandu
2. Commentary, "Rinchen Doshel" (Jewel Necklace) Or Mipham Rinpoche
Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
3. Pramana Vartika (2nd Chapter) (Interpretative Treatise on Valid Cognition) Acharya Dharmakirti
4. Commentary," Legshed Nangwai Ter" (The Treasury of Illustrious Saying) Mipham


Minor Subjects:
5. Pratimoksha Sutra (Sutra of Individual Liberation) Lord Buddha
6. Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
7. Sherub Luedrelpa Ketaka (Commentary on the Wisdom Chapter called Ketaka) Mipham
8. Biography of Palyul Throne-Holders Lama Jampel Zangpo
9. Kabyadarsha (Second half of the middle chapter)
(Treatise on Poetry & Composition called Mirror) Acharya Dandi
10. Commentary Mipham
11. Tibetan Political History (From Langdar's reign to the end) Dudjom
12. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part V) Dudjom
13. English Language


HIGHER SUTRA COURSE—5th year

Major Subjects:
1. Mahayana Uttara Tantra Karika (Supreme Teachings on the Greater Vehicle) Lord Maitreya
2. Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
3. Tongthun Sengei Ngaro (Exegesis on the Sugata Garbha called, "Lion's Roar") Mipham
4. Sutralankara Karika (The Ornament of Sutras) Lord Maitreya
5. Commentary, "Thegchog Duetsie Gatöen"
(The Feast of Ambrosia of the Greater Vehicle) Mipham
6. Pramana Vartika (1st Chapter)
(Interpretative Treatise on Valid Cognition) Acharya Dharmakirti
7. Commentary, "Legshed Nangwai Ter" (The Treasury of Illustrious Saying) Mipham


Minor Subjects:
8. Ngeshe Drönme (Lamp of Definite Understanding) Mipham
9. Commentary Khenpo Kunpal or Troshu Jamdor
10. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part VI) Dudjom
11. English Language


HIGHER SUTRA COURSE — 6th year

Major Subjects:
1. Abhisamayalankara Karika (The Ornament of the Explicit Realization) Lord Maitreya
2. Commentary called "Clear Meaning" Acharya Haribhadra
3. Exegesis on Abhisamayalankara Karika Patrul
4. Pramana Vartika (3rd Chapter) (Interpretative Treatise on Valid Cognition) Acharya Dharmakirti
5. Commentary, "Legshed Nangwai Ter" (The Treasury of Illustrious Saying Mipham


Minor Subjects:
6. Madhyanta Vibhanga Karika (Distinguishing the Middle and Extremes) Lord Maitreya
7. Annotated Commentary Mipham/Shenphen Nangwa
8. Dharmadharmata Vibhanga Karika (Distinguishing the Phenomena and Reality) Lord Maitreya
9. Commentary Mipham / Shenphen Nangwa
10. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part VII &VIII) Dudjom
11. English Language


TANTRA COURSE — 7th year
1. Vinaya Sutra Karika (Upper Section) (Verses on Vinaya Discipline) Acharya Guna Prabha
2. Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
3. Pramana Vartika (IVth Chapter) (Interpretative Treatise on Valid Cognition) Acharya Dharmakirti
4. Commentary, "Legshed Nangwai Ter" (The Treasury of Illustrious Saying) Mipham
5. Yönten Rinpochei Zoeth Gawai Chhar
(Treasury of Good Qualities called "Shower of Joy" Jigmed Lingpa
6. Commentary, "Nyimai Odser & Dawai Odser"
(The Rays of the Moon & The Rays of the Sun) Khenpo Yönten Gyatso
7. Sang Nying Chidön "Odsel Nyingpo"
(Essence of Clear Light; an exegesis on Guhyagarbha tantra) Mipham
8. Commentary on Abhiprayasamaja tantra
(Esoteric Doctrine of Condensed Divine Thoughts) Khenpo Nueden
9. English Language


TANTRA COURSE — 8th year
1. Vinaya Sutra Karika (Lower Section) (Verses on Vinaya Discipline) Acharya Guna Prabha
2. Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
3. Nangwa Lhadrup (Establishing the Appearance as the Divinity) Rongzompa
4. Men Ngag Tatreng (Rosary of Instructions on the Views) Padmasambhava
5. Yidshin Rinpochei Zöth (Treasury of Wish fulfilling Gems) Longchenpa
6. Yidshin Zöth Rangdrel, "Pema Karpo" (Commentary, "White Lotus") Or Longchenpa
Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
7. Sang Nying Chidön, "Zothki Demig" (Key to the Treasury; an exegesis on Guhyagarbha tantra) Dodup Tenpai Nyima
8. English Language


TANTRA COURSE — 9th year
1. Dzogpa Chenpo Sem Nyid Nyalso (Relaxing in the Reality of Mind; exposition on the teachings of the Great Perfection) Longchenpa
2. Commentary Longchenpa
3. Kagyed Namshed, "Ngödrup Nyingpo" (Explanation of Eight Pronouncement called "The Heart of Accomplishment") Mipham
4. Kyerim Ögmin Dröthpai Themke (Instructions on the Development Stage called the Steps to Akanistha Heaven) Jimed Lingpa
5. Sögdom Zershie Menngag (The Instructions on the Four Rivets of Meditation) Patrul
6. Dzogpa Chenpo Rangdröl Korsum (Treatise on the Great Perfection called "The Trilogy of Self Liberation") Longchenpa
7. English Language
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 8:28 am
Location: the Netherlands and India

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby tomamundsen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 am

JKhedrup wrote:Just for your information, the curriculum at Namdroling Monastery. It is the biggest Nyingma Shedra in India, of the late Penor Rinpoche in the Palyul sub-lineage.

http://www.palyul.org/eng_shed04_academic.htm

LOWER SUTRA COURSE - 1st year

Major Subjects:
1. Domsum Narmnge (Ascertaining the Three Vows) Panchen Pema Wangyel
2. Commentary,"Rigzin Jugngog" (The Track of Vidyadharas) Khenpo Yönten Gyatso
3. Bodhisattvacharyavatara (Engaging in the conducts of Bodhisattva) Acharya Shantideva
4. Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa


Minor Subjects:
5. Lungtenpai Tsawa Sumchupa (Tibetan Grammar; "Thirty Verses") Thumi Sambota
6. Commentary, "Norbui Melong" (Mirror of Gems) Or Khenpo Tsundrue
Commentary, "Trulgi Demig" (Miraculous Key) Shenphen Thaye
7. Mula Sarvastivadin Sramanera Karika (Verses on the Precepts of Novice) Acharya Nargajuna
8. Commentary, "Norbui Trengwa" (Rosary of Gems) Mipham Rinpoche
9. Vishekhastava (Praise of Distinction to the Buddha) Udbhatasiddhaswami
10. Commentary Prajna Varma
11. Tagrig (Dialectical Syllogism) Khenpo Tsundrue
12. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part I) Dudjom
13. English Language


LOWER SUTRA COURSE — 2nd year

Major Subjects:
1. Madhyamakalankara Karika (The Ornament of the Middle Way) Acharya Shantarakshita
2. Commentary, "Jamyang Lama Gyepai Shellung"
(Words of the delighted Master Manjugosha) Mipham
3. Khepai Tsulla Jugpai Go (Entrance to the Ways of the Wise) Mipham


Minor Subiects:
4. Yidshin Zöth Drubdue
(Condensed Tenet Concepts from the Treasury of Wish-fulfilling Gem) Mipham
5. Datroeth Taggi Jugpa (Tibetan Grammar, "The Conjugation of Genders" ) Thumi Sambota
6. Commentary, "Norbui Melong" (Mirror of Gems) Khenpo Tsundrue

Commentary, "Trulgi Demig" (Miraculous Key) Shenphen Thaye
7. Tibetan Political History (Until Trisöng's Reign) Dudjom
8. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part II and III) Dudjom
9. English Language


LOWER SUTRA COURSE — 3rd year

Major Subjects:
1. Madhyamakavatara (Entering the Middle Way) Acharya Chandrakirti
2. Commentary Acharya Chandrakirti
3. Madhyamaka Prajna Mula Karika
(Root Verses on the Middle Way called Wisdom) Acharya Nagarjuna
4. Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
5. Catur Sataka Karika (Four Hundred Verses on the Middle Way) Acharya Aryadeva
6. Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
Minor Subiects:
7. Pramana Nyaya Prabhesha (Door to Dialectical Logic) Acharya Dignaga
8. Dben Natmige Sherub Ralch (Ascertaining the facts called Sword of Wisdom) Mipham
9. Kabyadarsha (First half of the middle chapter)
(Treatise on Poetry & Composition called Mirror) Acharya Dandi
10. Commentary Mipham
11. Tibetan Political History (From Trisöng's reign to Langdar's reign) Dudjom
12. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part IV) Dudjom
13. English Language


LOWER SUTRA COURSE — 4th year

Major Subjects:
1. Abhidharma Kosa Karika (Treasury of Explicit Teachings) Acharya Vasubhandu
2. Commentary, "Rinchen Doshel" (Jewel Necklace) Or Mipham Rinpoche
Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
3. Pramana Vartika (2nd Chapter) (Interpretative Treatise on Valid Cognition) Acharya Dharmakirti
4. Commentary," Legshed Nangwai Ter" (The Treasury of Illustrious Saying) Mipham


Minor Subjects:
5. Pratimoksha Sutra (Sutra of Individual Liberation) Lord Buddha
6. Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
7. Sherub Luedrelpa Ketaka (Commentary on the Wisdom Chapter called Ketaka) Mipham
8. Biography of Palyul Throne-Holders Lama Jampel Zangpo
9. Kabyadarsha (Second half of the middle chapter)
(Treatise on Poetry & Composition called Mirror) Acharya Dandi
10. Commentary Mipham
11. Tibetan Political History (From Langdar's reign to the end) Dudjom
12. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part V) Dudjom
13. English Language


HIGHER SUTRA COURSE—5th year

Major Subjects:
1. Mahayana Uttara Tantra Karika (Supreme Teachings on the Greater Vehicle) Lord Maitreya
2. Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
3. Tongthun Sengei Ngaro (Exegesis on the Sugata Garbha called, "Lion's Roar") Mipham
4. Sutralankara Karika (The Ornament of Sutras) Lord Maitreya
5. Commentary, "Thegchog Duetsie Gatöen"
(The Feast of Ambrosia of the Greater Vehicle) Mipham
6. Pramana Vartika (1st Chapter)
(Interpretative Treatise on Valid Cognition) Acharya Dharmakirti
7. Commentary, "Legshed Nangwai Ter" (The Treasury of Illustrious Saying) Mipham


Minor Subjects:
8. Ngeshe Drönme (Lamp of Definite Understanding) Mipham
9. Commentary Khenpo Kunpal or Troshu Jamdor
10. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part VI) Dudjom
11. English Language


HIGHER SUTRA COURSE — 6th year

Major Subjects:
1. Abhisamayalankara Karika (The Ornament of the Explicit Realization) Lord Maitreya
2. Commentary called "Clear Meaning" Acharya Haribhadra
3. Exegesis on Abhisamayalankara Karika Patrul
4. Pramana Vartika (3rd Chapter) (Interpretative Treatise on Valid Cognition) Acharya Dharmakirti
5. Commentary, "Legshed Nangwai Ter" (The Treasury of Illustrious Saying Mipham


Minor Subjects:
6. Madhyanta Vibhanga Karika (Distinguishing the Middle and Extremes) Lord Maitreya
7. Annotated Commentary Mipham/Shenphen Nangwa
8. Dharmadharmata Vibhanga Karika (Distinguishing the Phenomena and Reality) Lord Maitreya
9. Commentary Mipham / Shenphen Nangwa
10. History of Nyingma Teachings (Part VII &VIII) Dudjom
11. English Language


TANTRA COURSE — 7th year
1. Vinaya Sutra Karika (Upper Section) (Verses on Vinaya Discipline) Acharya Guna Prabha
2. Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
3. Pramana Vartika (IVth Chapter) (Interpretative Treatise on Valid Cognition) Acharya Dharmakirti
4. Commentary, "Legshed Nangwai Ter" (The Treasury of Illustrious Saying) Mipham
5. Yönten Rinpochei Zoeth Gawai Chhar
(Treasury of Good Qualities called "Shower of Joy" Jigmed Lingpa
6. Commentary, "Nyimai Odser & Dawai Odser"
(The Rays of the Moon & The Rays of the Sun) Khenpo Yönten Gyatso
7. Sang Nying Chidön "Odsel Nyingpo"
(Essence of Clear Light; an exegesis on Guhyagarbha tantra) Mipham
8. Commentary on Abhiprayasamaja tantra
(Esoteric Doctrine of Condensed Divine Thoughts) Khenpo Nueden
9. English Language


TANTRA COURSE — 8th year
1. Vinaya Sutra Karika (Lower Section) (Verses on Vinaya Discipline) Acharya Guna Prabha
2. Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
3. Nangwa Lhadrup (Establishing the Appearance as the Divinity) Rongzompa
4. Men Ngag Tatreng (Rosary of Instructions on the Views) Padmasambhava
5. Yidshin Rinpochei Zöth (Treasury of Wish fulfilling Gems) Longchenpa
6. Yidshin Zöth Rangdrel, "Pema Karpo" (Commentary, "White Lotus") Or Longchenpa
Annotated Commentary Shenphen Nangwa
7. Sang Nying Chidön, "Zothki Demig" (Key to the Treasury; an exegesis on Guhyagarbha tantra) Dodup Tenpai Nyima
8. English Language


TANTRA COURSE — 9th year
1. Dzogpa Chenpo Sem Nyid Nyalso (Relaxing in the Reality of Mind; exposition on the teachings of the Great Perfection) Longchenpa
2. Commentary Longchenpa
3. Kagyed Namshed, "Ngödrup Nyingpo" (Explanation of Eight Pronouncement called "The Heart of Accomplishment") Mipham
4. Kyerim Ögmin Dröthpai Themke (Instructions on the Development Stage called the Steps to Akanistha Heaven) Jimed Lingpa
5. Sögdom Zershie Menngag (The Instructions on the Four Rivets of Meditation) Patrul
6. Dzogpa Chenpo Rangdröl Korsum (Treatise on the Great Perfection called "The Trilogy of Self Liberation") Longchenpa
7. English Language

Yea, I linked to that list in the OP. Thank you for taking the time to post it all here. :)
User avatar
tomamundsen
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:19 am

HAHA! Sorry didn't pay attention. Up very early this morning with a bad cold!
In order to ensure my mind never comes under the power of the self-cherishing attitude,
I must obtain control over my own mind.
Therefore, amongst all empowerments, the empowerment that gives me control over my mind is the best,
and I have received the most profound empowerment with this teaching.
-Atisha Dipamkara
brtsal ba'i bkhra drin
JKhedrup
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 8:28 am
Location: the Netherlands and India

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby tomamundsen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:31 am

JKhedrup wrote:HAHA! Sorry didn't pay attention. Up very early this morning with a bad cold!
Hope you feel better.
:anjali:
User avatar
tomamundsen
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby Yontan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:15 am

Tom, being Nyingma doesn't preclude any particular studies. Namdroling's curriculum will certainly steer you right, but assuming you have ngondro, three roots, etc., practice I would suggest besides focusing on that just study whatever suits you.
I really enjoy digging into Tsongkhapa, Jangya, Khedrup, Gyeltsap et al, even though I disagree with much of it. Mipham's apologetics on Shantarakshita and his commentary on Candrakirti's Avatara make a great counter to each other if you're interested in "Nyingma" madhyamaka, but Jigme Lingpa was basically a Tsongkhapaite on the subject. The Root by Nagarjuna is the bible, and belongs to know particular school.
"Important to study for Nyingmas" might be simply Words of My Perfect Teacher, The Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism, Buddha's and Padmasambhava's life story... done. Guhyagarbha commentaries and Longchenpa's Treasuries really do require oral teaching to unpack and make useful, but Longchenpa has a number of other wonderful works that are a bit easier to get into. Khenpo Shenga wrote some major commentaries on shedra studies I would love to see translated. That would be amazing.
Yontan
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:57 am

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby Bj Lhundrup » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 pm

I thought that Dzongsar Khyentse had a kinda Western Shedra for his English language students, does he not?

If so you any of you know where I may look into it?
User avatar
Bj Lhundrup
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:17 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby Matylda » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 am

Bj Lhundrup wrote:I thought that Dzongsar Khyentse had a kinda Western Shedra for his English language students, does he not?

If so you any of you know where I may look into it?


I have no idea about this shedra, though I heard of it, however the shedra for monks might be actually sakya shedra. A least one of the tulkus I know who completed Dzongsar Rinpoche shedra said something like this. Anyway Dozngsar Khyentse Rinpoche is sakya lama historically. Of course I am aware of present and past incarnation to be strongly connected to dzogchen and ningma.
Matylda
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby Bj Lhundrup » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:39 am

Dzogchen Monastery (Tibet) follows Khenpo Shenga's 13 commentaries, and so does Dzongsar but the western shedra was what I'm asking about and thats because mostly what Dzongsar Khyentse teaches is in fact Nyingma, not all, but most.

Anyone have any ideas if he does actually have a shedra for western speaking students???
User avatar
Bj Lhundrup
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:17 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby Clarence » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:44 am

JKhedrup wrote:HAHA! Sorry didn't pay attention. Up very early this morning with a bad cold!


The Dutch weather will do that to you. It has been COLD and WET. Hope you get better soon...
Clarence
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby Yudron » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Bj Lhundrup wrote:Dzogchen Monastery (Tibet) follows Khenpo Shenga's 13 commentaries, and so does Dzongsar but the western shedra was what I'm asking about and thats because mostly what Dzongsar Khyentse teaches is in fact Nyingma, not all, but most.

Anyone have any ideas if he does actually have a shedra for western speaking students???


He is affiliated with http://internationalbuddhistacademy.org/ in Nepal. People go there to study Tibetan and the classical texts from India. It is non-denominational, but given it's focus it will not address the greats associated with any one school.

Dzongsar Khyenste Rinpoche also raised funds for a Khyentse Chair at U.C. Berkeley's Buddhist Studies Doctoral Program.
Yudron
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm
Location: Sunny California

Re: Nyingma Scriptural Studies

Postby Bj Lhundrup » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:42 am

tomamundsen wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to put together a curriculum for myself to study Nyingma scriptures. I know that the Guhyagarbha Tantra and Longchenpa's Treasuries are important, but not much else other than that. I have also found the curriculum at Namdroling's shedra. Does anyone else have input on what texts are important to study for Nyingmapas, and in what order?

Thanks!


So did you want to do this in English or Tibetan?
User avatar
Bj Lhundrup
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:17 am
Location: Denver, CO


Return to Nyingma

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

>