Is Dzogchen Compatible with the Madhyamika Prasangika POV ?

Malcolm

Re: Is Dzogchen Compatible with the Madhyamika Prasangika POV ?

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
conebeckham wrote:I think it's more correct to say that the basis in gzhan stong (Shentong) is "Buddha Nature," which is not EXACTLY equivalent with emptiness, at least according to Dolpopa's presentation.
It is exactly emptiness precisely in the fashion that I described it, even in Dolbuwa's presentation.
I think there's a subtle point here. Shentong does say Buddha Nature is "Emptiness," but also discusses a basis beyond conceptual mind. This is from the POV of post-equipoise dialectics, though--I agree that the meditation is the same. "Prasangikas," that Tibetan invention, do not discuss a "basis" at all.

Yes?
No, they do discuss a basis. That basis is emptiness.

"Where emptiness is possible...", etc.
conebeckham

Re: Is Dzogchen Compatible with the Madhyamika Prasangika POV ?

Post by conebeckham »

Okay, Malcolm.....but it's not "mere" emptiness, is it?
What, in your opinion, is the "difference" between so-called Rangtong and Shentong?

This is all in an effort to clarify for the original poster.....good to keep that in mind.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Dzogchen”