masters of the tradition

Stewart

Re: masters of the tradition

Post by Stewart »

simhanada wrote:
Stewart wrote: It'.s out of print, if you look on Namsebangdzo and wisdom books carefully you'll see It's actually unavailable.

I have a PDF copy, It's an amazing book. Hopefully it will be reprinted.
I mentioned above, although I didn't reference the title, just gave a link.

It is due for a reprint, later this year. At least according to the last review on the amazon page.

Thanks for the link, didn't notice the reviews, that's great news....as I said I have a PDF copy, but I will definetly buy the paper version.

The reason I love this book is because Nyoshul Khenpo was my Guru's main Dzogchen master...and at the moment he is living life as a wandering yogi putting NK's pith instructions into practice. This book recounts his lineage of the Mengak Nyengyu Chenmo, the profound hearing lineage in detail...Mingyur Rinpoche received this from Nyoshul Khenpo, one to one, over one hundred days.
s.
deff

Post by deff »

for whoever is wondering... A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems will be available only from Tibetan Treasures when it's reprinted (this is what i heard anyways). it will be available here: http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... _Gems.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for $49 :smile:
arsent

Post by arsent »

deff wrote:for whoever is wondering... A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems will be available only from Tibetan Treasures when it's reprinted (this is what i heard anyways). it will be available here: http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... _Gems.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for $49 :smile:
If you don't have anything against scribd website usage - you can find it's scan there.

Also there is another great book : Wellsprings of the Great Perfection: The Lives and Insights of the Early Masters
http://www.amazon.com/Wellsprings-Great ... perfection
19 of 20 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A history book on marvels of the transmission of awareness May 30, 2007
By Magnus Tigerschiold
Format:HardcoverErik Pema Kunzang, the master translator, once again bring us a fantastic book. This book feels like a natural complement to the late Nyoshul Khen Rinpoches giant work "A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems". It focus on the very early masters of the Dzogchen lineage and their life's. It is a magical quality in Erik's poetic and profound translation that is difficult to find among the many translations of Dzogchen that appear these days. It takes you right into the twilight zone of the root of these thousand's of year long lineages and does open up our hearts to the amazing quality's and possibility's of these profound lineages. On the top of all this Erik adds some Dzogchen teachings never before openly publicized and a handful of songs realizations from these early masters. I recommend this book with all my heart.
heart

Post by heart »

arsent wrote:
deff wrote:for whoever is wondering... A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems will be available only from Tibetan Treasures when it's reprinted (this is what i heard anyways). it will be available here: http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... _Gems.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for $49 :smile:
If you don't have anything against scribd website usage - you can find it's scan there.

Also there is another great book : Wellsprings of the Great Perfection: The Lives and Insights of the Early Masters
http://www.amazon.com/Wellsprings-Great ... perfection
19 of 20 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A history book on marvels of the transmission of awareness May 30, 2007
By Magnus Tigerschiold
Format:HardcoverErik Pema Kunzang, the master translator, once again bring us a fantastic book. This book feels like a natural complement to the late Nyoshul Khen Rinpoches giant work "A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems". It focus on the very early masters of the Dzogchen lineage and their life's. It is a magical quality in Erik's poetic and profound translation that is difficult to find among the many translations of Dzogchen that appear these days. It takes you right into the twilight zone of the root of these thousand's of year long lineages and does open up our hearts to the amazing quality's and possibility's of these profound lineages. On the top of all this Erik adds some Dzogchen teachings never before openly publicized and a handful of songs realizations from these early masters. I recommend this book with all my heart.
:smile: I wrote that.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Is it just me or does Magnus have the most epic name ever?

Oops, back to topic!
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
heart

Post by heart »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Is it just me or does Magnus have the most epic name ever?

Oops, back to topic!
My name is from the Swedish nobility, means tiger-shield if anyone would like to know. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
udawa

Post by udawa »

heart wrote:
Pema Rigdzin wrote:Is it just me or does Magnus have the most epic name ever?

Oops, back to topic!
My name is from the Swedish nobility, means tiger-shield if anyone would like to know. :smile:

/magnus
At first glance, I read it as tiger's child.

Either way, a good name.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Kris

Post by Kris »

reading dzogchen the self perfected state

excellent
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Sherlock wrote:OK, from the khandro.net link

After a year she left for Kawa Karpo, a mountain in Southern Tibet which had been indicated by Trulzhi Rinpoche as the place she should go to. I later heard that she lived there for many years and had many students. Then in the Year of the Iron Boar, 1911, she took the body of light at the age of seventy-four.

by ChNN himself.
Hi Sherlock,

I had some confusion here too about Ayu Khandro but a little different than your confusion, because of the note on page 67 of the book "Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light" where it says in a note on page sixty seven, quote:

"Twentieth century practitioners of Dzogchen who have attained the Body of Light include the teacher and family members of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche for example his uncles Urgyen Tenzin (Togden) his two teachers Changchub Dorje and Ayu Khandro, and Changchub Dorje's master, Nyala Pema Dündul."

However CHNN never said that, it was a note probably by the editor, so I thought for a while that CHNN had said that Ayu Khandro had manifested rainbow body because the book is pretty well diffused among Dzogchen practitioners, and says it is by Namkhai Norbu, but then I didn't hear him actually say that during teachings etc... so Norbu Rinpoche didn't ever actually say that because CHNN wrote and said " I never said Ayu Khandro manifested rainbow body. Maybe some one confused to listen that her friend lady, she manifested rainbow body.

With many Tashi delegs

I noticed that currently on Merigar Easts upcoming event page, at this time, there is a statement announcing Amitayus retreat which also says Ayu Khandro accomplished rainbow body, here is the link to Merigar East website, and the quote below from Merigar East website:

http://www.dzogchen.ro/weekend-retreat- ... f-amitayus

September 30 - October 2
Gompa of Merigar East

"We are inviting all people, which have transmission of Dzogchen from Chogyal Namkhai Norbu
to Merigar East for a weekend retreat of Long Life practice of Guru Amitayus.
The long-life practice Tsedrub Gongdü (Long Life of Guru Amitayus) is terma of famous
Terton Nyala Pema Dündul.Nyala Pema Dündul (1816-1872), also known as Terton Nyala Pema Duddul, was a teacher of
Dzogchen and Tantric Buddhism in Eastern Tibet. In particular, he discovered and practiced
the terma of the long-life practice of Guru Amitayus, called the Union of Primordial
Essences. Most sources state that the teacher in 1872 attained rainbow body. Many of his
students attained rainbow body (e.g. Ayu Khandro and Nyala Rinpoche Rigdzin Changchub
Dorje).
The Long Life of Guru Amitayus is very important. Guru Padmasambhava with his consort
Mandarava practiced this practice in Maratica cave and realized the Siddhi of Immortality.
For any questions, please, find our contacts here."

So what I learned from this is if you don't hear it right from Rinpoche, and remember well what you heard, then
don't think Rinpoche said something if he didn't... must say though, the book threw me off some... :smile:

:anjali:
Kris

question

Post by Kris »

hey dharma wheel members, hope all is well with you and yours :smile:

so I have a important question, and when someone gets the time, please answer :thanks:

How do you know for certain that you have experienced rigpa, even if its for a nano second?
how do you know if its not another state of mind and beyond mind?
how do you confirm it without getting caught up in concepts etc.

hope this is clear

thanks

:namaste:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

This is why it is important to have a one on one relationship with a teacher. The teacher can help remove doubts and will know if your realizaions are authentic. In the little experience that I have, I have found that you can fake yourself but there is no faking the teacher. Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for. But if I may give some advice, I would say don't worry too much about it for now. Just keep practicing with diligence and the confidence that you are on the right path. Don't worry too much about whether you "got it" or not at this point. You don't want to get too conceptual or judgemental about your practice. The important thing is to just keep practicing and let the results unfold naturally. And when you do experience rigpa in a concrete way you will know it beyond any doubt or concepts. Hope this helps, my friend.

Troy
Kris

Post by Kris »

:good:

thanks Troy
exactly what i needed to hear.

hope you've been well
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

finally got my hands on The Crystal And The Way Of Light
:twothumbsup: :reading:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

CrawfordHollow wrote:This is why it is important to have a one on one relationship with a teacher. The teacher can help remove doubts and will know if your realizaions are authentic. In the little experience that I have, I have found that you can fake yourself but there is no faking the teacher. Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for. But if I may give some advice, I would say don't worry too much about it for now. Just keep practicing with diligence and the confidence that you are on the right path. Don't worry too much about whether you "got it" or not at this point. You don't want to get too conceptual or judgemental about your practice. The important thing is to just keep practicing and let the results unfold naturally. And when you do experience rigpa in a concrete way you will know it beyond any doubt or concepts. Hope this helps, my friend.

Troy

:smile:
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

oldbob wrote:
CrawfordHollow wrote:This is why it is important to have a one on one relationship with a teacher. The teacher can help remove doubts and will know if your realizaions are authentic. In the little experience that I have, I have found that you can fake yourself but there is no faking the teacher. Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for. But if I may give some advice, I would say don't worry too much about it for now. Just keep practicing with diligence and the confidence that you are on the right path. Don't worry too much about whether you "got it" or not at this point. You don't want to get too conceptual or judgemental about your practice. The important thing is to just keep practicing and let the results unfold naturally. And when you do experience rigpa in a concrete way you will know it beyond any doubt or concepts. Hope this helps, my friend.

Troy

:smile:

:twothumbsup:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Kris

Post by Kris »

I have found my Blessed Guru
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
florin

Post by florin »

RikudouSennin wrote:I have found my Blessed Guru
Who is he ......or she?
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

I am glad to hear you have found yr guru -
It is my turn to search now.... My main teacher has recently passed on and I have to search for a new one...

There are not that many that will teach by email, are of the Nyingma-Dzogchen & Longchen Nyingthig lineage, are genuine, and speak English....
(I am at the :thinking: :tantrum: :shrug: :thinking: :tantrum: stage of the search)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

There are teachers who will communicate with you electronically (including email), speak English, and teach Dzogchen. for instance

http://dzogchencommunityuk.org

There are no teachers who will teach you *exclusively* in this way. This is because it's not possible to teach Dzogchen exclusively through media such as email, phone, text, or whatever.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Lama Yeshe Wangmo offers a lot of programs in the internet http://www.jnanasukha.org, although explicitly Dzogchen flavored, they are from a Dzogchen tradition, the Dudjom Tersar. She is on the internet a lot because she lives on an island.

Return to “Dzogchen”