FAQ: Dzogchen Community of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Kris

Re: FAQ: Dzogchen Community of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Post by Kris »

futerko wrote:
RikudouSennin wrote:I'm studying, and this question keeps arising
Is GY and SOV all that is required to recognize Dzogchen?

I know there are other/secondary practices, from my understanding the most important are rushan, semdzin and lojongs, and these are important for trechod and thogal practices, if i'm not mistaken which lead to rainbow body.

since my mind is easily distracted, I would like to keep the practices as simple as possible but with full benefit.

i hope I have made myself clear

peace

Three Essential Practices in Daily Life
http://www.melong.com/
gratitude :thumbsup:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
SuryaMitra

Post by SuryaMitra »

I`m curious how other great lamas perceive ChNN and his style. I heard that there was some criticism from certain teachers. I find Rinpoche`s style wonderful, but somewhat unorthodox in many ways, so I can imagine, that to some lamas it might be just difficult to swallow...

Also in the closed topic about Dzogchen Community, there was someone who mention that XVI Karmapa told some great things about ChNN to Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche. For me, as for one with Karma Kagyu background, it would be great to know what Gyalwa Karmapa said. So please, anybody who knows, share the story...
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Lamas who have endorsed Chögyal Namkhai Norbu:

H.H. the Dalai Lama
H.E. Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak
H.H. Sakya Trizin
H.H. the Sixteenth Karmapa
Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche
Chatral Rinpoche
Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche
Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodro

And others....

Also, see this post:
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... =+#p152156

Over the years Merigar West has played host to the teachings of some of the most important Masters of the Tibetan spiritual tradition, including His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, Penor Rinpoche, Sakya Trizin, Jetsun Chimed Luding, the Twelfth Tai Situpa, the Twelfth Gyalwang Drugpa, Sögyal Rinpoche, Lopön Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche, Drugu Chögyal Rinpoche, Dorzong Rinpoche, Ontul Rinpoche, Ayang Rinpoche, Trogawa Rinpoche and Sey Rinpoche.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

is the practice text for the next WWT available somewhere online as pdf?
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

KonchokZoepa wrote:is the practice text for the next WWT available somewhere online as pdf?
http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/files.php
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

which one is it? Padmasambhava or Adzom Drugpa?
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

afaik the next one will be adzom drugpa
Lost In Transmission
futerko

Post by futerko »

KonchokZoepa wrote:which one is it? Padmasambhava or Adzom Drugpa?
If you look at both you will see that one file has the practice and the other has instructions.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

lelopa wrote:afaik the next one will be adzom drugpa

The Padmasambhava and Adzom transmissions are identical in every respect apart from the date.
Snovid

Post by Snovid »

On Thursday, 28.11 falls anniversary of the great Dzogchen master Adzama Drugpy. That day, in the chair. 13:00 Polish time (19:00 am Eastern Time in Tibet) Chogyal Namkhai Norbu provide direct entry into the Natural State.

My almost wife :D wants to participate
Anyone could speak with her before?
I mean,explain her what to do when master will give transmission?
I am from Poland I use google translator I do not know English
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I can't remember if I've asked this before, but...

I have read that "you either have transmission or you don't" and "once you receive transmission, you got it. So, don't worry about that. You may not recognize your real nature right away, but you have received transmission and once you get it, you can't lose it. It may take a lifetime to ripen or it may happen instantly."

But, I also commonly hear that it's "good to refresh transmission."

I don't think these statements jibe very well together. What am I misunderstanding? If you never lose a transmission, why "refresh it?"

I used to participate in every transmission for a while, but after I received it 6 or 7 times, I stopped. I believe I've received all 3 transmissions at least twice. I wish I would have been able to receive transmission just once without an explanation so the surprise factor was there during the transmission part. The more I participated in the worldwide transmissions, the less heddawa I felt.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
futerko

Post by futerko »

padma norbu wrote:I wish I would have been able to receive transmission just once without an explanation so the surprise factor was there during the transmission part. The more I participated in the worldwide transmissions, the less heddawa I felt.
Seems like a couple of issues there, firstly with expectations, and secondly with the idea of heddawa, which I think is only a means to gain a glimpse of the nature of mind, not the aim itself.

It can be difficult when you know he is going to shout, and yet I have seen people literally jump several inches off their cushions (maybe their backs weren't straight! lol).

I think you need to achieve a certain state prior to the shout rather than think about what you are supposed to be doing or what is going to happen next.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

futerko wrote:
padma norbu wrote:I wish I would have been able to receive transmission just once without an explanation so the surprise factor was there during the transmission part. The more I participated in the worldwide transmissions, the less heddawa I felt.
Seems like a couple of issues there, firstly with expectations, and secondly with the idea of heddawa, which I think is only a means to gain a glimpse of the nature of mind, not the aim itself.

It can be difficult when you know he is going to shout, and yet I have seen people literally jump several inches off their cushions (maybe their backs weren't straight! lol).

I think you need to achieve a certain state prior to the shout rather than think about what you are supposed to be doing or what is going to happen next.
I was pointing to the fact that I developed expectations to begin with based on the explanation beforehand. As far as jumping several inches or even a centimeter, that has never happened to me. And I know it's not the aim itself. I think I would perhaps have been better at catching a glimpse without the explanation. It's like pretending you don't know about a surprise party after someone spilled the beans; hardly the same thing as actually being surprised. For example, I don't think Tilopa told Naropa he was going to hit him with the sandal. It probably would have been a very different experience if he had. I am saying that if it has to be explained or it won't work, fine; but I would have preferred to give it a shot once first without explanation and maybe have it explained to me after.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
futerko

Post by futerko »

padma norbu wrote:I was pointing to the fact that I developed expectations to begin with based on the explanation beforehand. As far as jumping several inches or even a centimeter, that has never happened to me. And I know it's not the aim itself. I think I would perhaps have been better at catching a glimpse without the explanation. It's like pretending you don't know about a surprise party after someone spilled the beans; hardly the same thing as actually being surprised. For example, I don't think Tilopa told Naropa he was going to hit him with the sandal. It probably would have been a very different experience if he had. I am saying that if it has to be explained or it won't work, fine; but I would have preferred to give it a shot once first without explanation and maybe have it explained to me after.
Then, errr... boo and stuff!

You don't really need to be surprised, that is just one way to "stop" thoughts. There are several different types of transmissions given, and yet it may still remain a subtly intellectual view even after transmission. Even Nagarjuna is enough to differentiate "in mind" and "beyond mind" at an intellectual level. Transmission is simply a demonstration of that in action.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

futerko wrote:You don't really need to be surprised, that is just one way to "stop" thoughts.
I know.
futerko wrote:There are several different types of transmissions given, and yet it may still remain a subtly intellectual view even after transmission.
ChNN always uses this method for all three WWT, though.
futerko wrote:Even Nagarjuna is enough to differentiate "in mind" and "beyond mind" at an intellectual level.
Did you miss a verb in this sentence? I don't know what "Even Nagarjuna is enough" means unless you meant "Even reading Nagarjuna is enough" or something.
futerko wrote: Transmission is simply a demonstration of that in action
Yes, it's "simply" discovering what can only be pointed out to you by a master. Btw, I'm sure I've received transmission, so there's no problem here. If I wasn't sure, I would probably keep "refreshing" my transmissions, which was pretty much the real question here, in case you missed that. Any reason you can see in "refreshing" the transmission?
futerko

Post by futerko »

padma norbu wrote:Any reason you can see in "refreshing" the transmission?
I guess that for me it is about practicing together rather than sitting alone in my cave being a solitary realiser, but then I guess it would be different for people who weren't sure if they'd "got it" or not. Sorry, I wasn't sure if that was what you meant earlier.
Paul

Post by Paul »

As far as I understand it from what I remember Rinpoche saying, whenever we practice with him and other students there is an effect due to everybody being in the same state together. If someone has little experience it can give them something of a 'leg up'.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

futerko wrote:
padma norbu wrote:Any reason you can see in "refreshing" the transmission?
I guess that for me it is about practicing together rather than sitting alone in my cave being a solitary realiser, but then I guess it would be different for people who weren't sure if they'd "got it" or not. Sorry, I wasn't sure if that was what you meant earlier.
So, that's for you, but I hear a lot that "it's good to refresh the transmission" and I don't think the people who say this are just referring to practicing together. Maybe it is, like Paul said, supposed to give you a "leg up" by all being in the same state together. It might also be one of those things that Namkhai Norbu doesn't really explain in detail, so people just have this idea that it's good for some reason; if nothing else, practicing together. A lot of people don't have a local gar so "sitting alone in a cave" isn't really an option for them. Practicing together is probably great, if you can do it. Rinpoche always seems to talk in favor of it.
Kris

Post by Kris »

so i'm working with the text Introduction to the Practice of Contemplation, as well as The Stairway to Liberation, and I have some questions I would like clarified, so please send me a pm if you can be of help. thanks
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

at what time on the 28th is the WWT? is it 14:00 finnish time?

and through what venue will the transmission come through.

shangshunginstitute.com/webcast site ?

also does anyone have a picture of the padmasambhava Nangsi Silnön or how do you pronounce it, the emanation used in this visualization during the transmission.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

Return to “Dzogchen”