FAQ: Dzogchen Community of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Simon E.

Re: FAQ: Dzogchen Community of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Post by Simon E. »

Pero wrote:
Norwegian wrote:This is not proper to discuss in public.
+1
+ 2
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Don't ya just love the thought-police?? :group:
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Lhasa,

Such a remark is not helpful. It is not about being thought-police, it's about informing those who seemingly do not know (or perhaps do not care), that certain things should not be discussed publically. Certain things definitely can however. This is not it though. Vajrayana and Dzogchen practice is a private matter, not a public matter. Chogyal Namkhai Norbu has commented on this several times. Many times. We must respect the transmission and the teachings, that is all. One of the ways to not do so, is by discussing practice details publically.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I recall that at one time ChNN asked for no discussion AT AII concerning D.C. on a particular website.
I am sure no one wants that repeated here on DW.

Pero

Post by Pero »

RikudouSennin wrote:please excuse my question that may be taboo to be asked in public, Im working my way through 'The Stairway to Liberation' and came across this term.
No that's not taboo, I just wasn't sure of the answer. It means "training the three doors" and I suppose you could say it's the secret rushan (at least in that book, there are some different classification).
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Kris

Post by Kris »

When performing inner ru shan or for any visualization which method is correct:

a)visualize the syllable like you are looking at a computer screen or a book(as if viewing it objectively, or in front )

b)visualize the syllable as if the syllable is looking at a computer screen(as if the syllable is looking outwardly, so the syllable switches sides
for instance lets say b= ba but when you become the ba looking out into the objective world appears like d=da or am i tripping lol)

hope this makes sense

Edit: if you would like to pm please go ahead
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I have pm'd you.

:namaste:

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I don't think most of the Dzogchen Community actually participate in online forums, do they? Seems like only a couple dozen regulars I see and the attitude I get from fellow practitioners in person seems to be that they really don't talk about their personal practice, especially online.

Malcolm or someone familiar with the DC membership numbers would be able to give an approximation of how many DC members actually post online with any regularity. If anyone knows, I'm curious to find out. I don't think I've ever seen a post from Jim Valby or Naomi Zeits or anyone I've actually met in person. I remember asking a few people when I first started meeting NY and MA members in person and everyone was like "nah, you shouldn't go to those forums, Rinpoche asks us not to." Obviously, I didn't heed that advice for some reason, but oh well...
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Pero

Post by Pero »

padma norbu wrote:I don't think most of the Dzogchen Community actually participate in online forums, do they? Seems like only a couple dozen regulars I see and the attitude I get from fellow practitioners in person seems to be that they really don't talk about their personal practice, especially online.
Well I haven't seen anyone online talk about their personal practice either.
Malcolm or someone familiar with the DC membership numbers would be able to give an approximation of how many DC members actually post online with any regularity.
I think it's just like you said.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Pero wrote:
padma norbu wrote:I don't think most of the Dzogchen Community actually participate in online forums, do they? Seems like only a couple dozen regulars I see and the attitude I get from fellow practitioners in person seems to be that they really don't talk about their personal practice, especially online.
Well I haven't seen anyone online talk about their personal practice either.
Hm, I guess you're right about that. I think I meant it just doesn't seem like they would talk about dzogchen on forums at all based on their reactions when I brought it up.

But, now that you mention it, is there some reason that practitioners don't speak to each other in person about their practice? I guess there's not much to really say, but when I was a new student, I felt pretty awkward doing these group practices and then afterward just talking about the weather or something.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa »

padma norbu wrote: But, now that you mention it, is there some reason that practitioners don't speak to each other in person about their practice? I guess there's not much to really say, but when I was a new student, I felt pretty awkward doing these group practices and then afterward just talking about the weather or something.
One of the reasons I think is that by talking about personal experiences quite fast feelings of competition, jealousy etc. could arise.
Feeding the ego this way would lead many go astray.
But there is more to it, that does not belong to a public forum.
Soap-Bubble

Post by Soap-Bubble »

Padma Norbu, judging from my own experience in DC, there are lots of practitioners speaking to each other online. But not in public places like forums. Mostly via Skype, Facebook, and similar services that grant privacy.

I think that's because it's so easy to meet living and breathing people! You go to retreats, make new friends, then you talk online to them. It creates a very close level of online relationship, to which forum discussions with strangers are losing in comparison in every way. After all, DC exists for a reason. And the fact that most of its members don't feel lonely enough to resort to forums is a sign of its success.

Actually, when I see someone online talking to strangers about practices and ideas, instead of asking their own local DC members for details of practices and clarifications, I start thinking that the person in question has a problem. Why is he or she lonely and confused, if there's a local DC to provide a friendly group with enough old practitioners to explain everything in more detail than ever possible online? Either the person is not serious, or refuses to be a part of community for whatever misguided reason, or is not aware of how helpful DC is.

On topic of personal experiences, there's nothing to completely forbid talking about them. But if your purpose is sharing, it's rather useless, because most of the time they aren't describable and sharable. When you realize you can't communicate your experience to another, the wish to do so for its own sake weakens considerably.
a soap-bubble represents radiant emptiness

Return to “Dzogchen”