Pls introduce me to Dzogchen

oldbob

Re: Pls introduce me to Dzogchen

Post by oldbob »

Wesley1982 wrote:3) It seems like the world of Buddhism produces a garden variety of different types of Buddhists, why would Dzogchen be suitable for me?
I don't think you will be able to determine if Dzogchen is suitable for you until you take a "pointing out instruction; direct introduction," and then see how "meeting the Teacher," and "direct introduction," affects you.

You can also pursue Dzogchen through the gradual path if that is appropriate for you. The most accessible Dzogchen Master is Choegyal Namkhai Norbu RInpoche.

http://tsegyalgar.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might also contact Tsegyalgar and ask them when it is possible to receive the world wide transmission, over the web, if i is not possible to meet a Dzogchen Master in person.

Good fortune to all and All.

ob
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Wesley1982 wrote:2) Does correct Dzogchen practice produce a visible buddha?..
yes!

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

So it is not "new-age" but hundreds of years old from Tibetan traditions?..
krodha

Post by krodha »

Wesley1982 wrote:So it is not "new-age" but hundreds of years old from Tibetan traditions?..
Garab Dorje who is considered by most to be the first human teacher of dzogchen lived circa 55 CE, but some believe there were human teachers before him. Dzogchen is also said to have always existed, but that statement is meant to reflect the timeless aspect of the natural state, and that the nature of mind is essentially "all that is" (though it transcends the four extremes). Dzogchen is far from new-age, but "new agers" do commonly misinterpret it's message as mirroring their own teachings.

Garab Dorje
Mañjuśrīmitra
Shri Singha
Vairotsana
Vimalimitra
Padmasambhava

Are the originators.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

a) What's the proper way to pronounce the word dzogchen? doh-Ch-en?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Zog chen
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

zOAk-chen
Last edited by Stewart on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I'm deaf/hearing-impaired - what if you can't hear or understand the teacher of the class?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Wesley1982 wrote:I'm deaf/hearing-impaired - what if you can't hear or understand the teacher of the class?
In many instances they will make accomodations, allowing you to sit up front etc. Sometimes, a transcript might be available. And there are also many, many, good books touching on Dzogchen.

Kevin
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

a) So . .What is the Dzogchen response to the "I" of self-imputed existence?..
krodha

Post by krodha »

Wesley1982 wrote:a) So . .What is the Dzogchen response to the "I" of self-imputed existence?..
Illusion, it's all illusory.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

asunthatneversets wrote:Illusion, it's all illusory.
If the idea "i" of the self is illusory, isn't a house still a house and a car a car and a tree still a tree?..
krodha

Post by krodha »

Wesley1982 wrote:
asunthatneversets wrote:Illusion, it's all illusory.
If the idea "i" of the self is illusory, isn't a house still a house and a car a car and a tree still a tree?..
They are illusory as well. Of course if that stays on the level of the intellect then it's no better than believing things truly exist, it's a truth to be experienced and actualized. Nothing is what you take it to be. Everything is your own display, not you as "Wesley", but your primordial nature.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Wesley1982 wrote:So it is not "new-age" but hundreds of years old from Tibetan traditions?..

Tashi delek,

Dzogchen is much older than the Tibetan Traditions from after 600.
The oldest Tibetan Tradition is Bon and Bon has also a very old Dzogchen Tradition called the Zhang Zhung Nyen Gyud which stems from the old kingdom called Zhang Zhung. That is not new aged but old aged.

Then we have the Dzogchen Traditions from outside Tibet which sources are northern India or Uddhiyana.

Well all those traditions are here aboard also present and are:
Nyingma and the Dzogchen Teachings from ChNN. Last mentioned ChNN does it more in the modern fashion.

So here do you have a broad offer of Dzogchen Traditions and you could make an investigation about all of them, could follow all of them or take out one special Dzogchen Master which whom you have a good connection. That could be then your Guru.

But when i may ask what are you at the moment practising?

Mutsog Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

kalden yungdrung wrote:
So here do you have a broad offer of Dzogchen Traditions and you could make an investigation about all of them, could follow all of them or take out one special Dzogchen Master which whom you have a good connection. That could be then your Guru.

But when i may ask what are you at the moment practising?

Mutsog Marro
KY
-Medicine Buddha Dharma- and a very broad,general introduction to the basics of Buddhism. Probably an orthodox Tibetan tradition.
krodha

Post by krodha »

Wesley1982 wrote: -Medicine Buddha Dharma- and a very broad,general introduction to the basics of Buddhism. Probably an orthodox Tibetan tradition.
All of which is compatible (and can be integrated) with dzogchen practice. And doing so won't compromise the integrity of the original practices at all :smile:
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

And two great Dzogchen Teachers have even written books about the Medicine Buddha, Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche and H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche.

http://www.namsebangdzo.com/Sadhana_of_ ... /18052.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.namsebangdzo.com/Medicine_Bu ... /12745.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche often gives the Lung transmission for the Medicine Buddha as well (of course we don't need the Lung transmission in order to practice a Sutra version of the Medicine Buddha Sadhana).
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Maybe I'll ask Jesus and follow him to whichever Lama/Guru is best for me.
krodha

Post by krodha »

Wesley1982 wrote:Maybe I'll ask Jesus and follow him to whichever Lama/Guru is best for me.
And what would constitute a legitimate guru suggestion from jesus? Perhaps he's already showing you.

What are you drawn to? What speaks to you? You seem interested in dzogchen, why not hear what it's about from a realized master? There's no commitment, many individuals receive teachings from multiple masters. It's not a blood in blood out type thing.

The only thing that truly creates a heart connection is when/if you choose to receive direct introduction. The teacher who gives you introduction will then always be your root teacher. But that isn't a blood in blood out type thing either.
Last edited by krodha on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

asunthatneversets wrote: And what would constitute a legitimate guru suggestion from jesus? Perhaps he's already showing you.

If that is true - then I could turn the home office into a place of devotion to studies and ritual meditation.

Return to “Dzogchen”