Institutional Buddhism

heart

Re: Institutional Buddhism

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
kirtu wrote:we have to embrace renunciation
Not in Dzogchen.
eh? how about the lodjongs in the Vima Nyinthig? that is real meaning of renunciation.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
kirtu wrote:we have to embrace renunciation
Not in Dzogchen.
eh? how about the lodjongs in the Vima Nyinthig? that is real meaning of renunciation.

/magnus
I see the first fout more as an encouragement not to waste time or energy on useless things. But I don't see them as a encouraging a path of renunciation.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm wrote: I see the first fout more as an encouragement not to waste time or energy on useless things. But I don't see them as a encouraging a path of renunciation.
What is not useless besides practicing?
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Malcolm wrote:
Adamantine wrote:However, I do believe there are quite a few more than the one you are promoting. . .
Sure, but we don't have a lot of time, and time is passing.
But if they didn't have the connection with ChNN, then time would be passing until they found their karmic Guru, even if they stayed with ChNN out of fear that time was passing... or isn't it? Anyway, I would have imagined you'd be of the opinion that the 4 thoughts was a trivial sutra approach for a Dzogchenpa! :tongue:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Pero

Post by Pero »

Malcolm wrote:
Pero wrote: This was said by Padmasambhava and Norbu Rinpoche mentions it often, it's an important practice. So you guys should be careful in what you say...
The onus is on the teacher's side to be honest. Conceptually deciding that Dipshit Rinpoche and Geshe Unctuous is a Buddha when all his actions indicate the contrary is just plain stupid and deluded. When Dipshit Rinpoche and Geshe Unctuous encourage their students into such beliefs, it just creates cults.

M
Sure, but that's not what you said at first.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
xylem

Post by xylem »

"encouragement not to waste time or energy on useless things" is the pith essence of renunciation even in the sutra tradition.
i'm starting to think people just want to fight here.
there is really only one dharma.

-xy
Malcolm wrote: I see the first four (lojongs of vima nyigthig) more as an encouragement not to waste time or energy on useless things. But I don't see them as a encouraging a path of renunciation.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Adamantine wrote:However, I do believe there are quite a few more than the one you are promoting. . .
But if they didn't have the connection with ChNN, then time would be passing until they found their karmic Guru, even if they stayed with ChNN out of fear that time was passing... or isn't it?
Such a person would be like a man who did not like the shape the gold nugget he has found, and discards it to look for another, more attractive one.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pero wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Pero wrote: This was said by Padmasambhava and Norbu Rinpoche mentions it often, it's an important practice. So you guys should be careful in what you say...
The onus is on the teacher's side to be honest. Conceptually deciding that Dipshit Rinpoche and Geshe Unctuous is a Buddha when all his actions indicate the contrary is just plain stupid and deluded. When Dipshit Rinpoche and Geshe Unctuous encourage their students into such beliefs, it just creates cults.

M

Sure it is. I was saying that teachers who recognize that they are not realized should completely discourage their students from perceiving them as Buddhas.
Last edited by Malcolm on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

I am being very careful - and very truthful. The teachers I was referring to sucked people into a cult where any objection or even suggestion was treated as attacking a living Buddha. Imagine teachers with little training giving Action Tantra empowerments and others rushed into giving HYT empowerments at short notice because the last two 'holy beings' apparently got sacked for sexual predation.

Tibetan empowerments given within an organisation denying it is TB, offering no training in TB Vajra Master terms yet using the mystical allure of such empowerments to snare the unwary.

It is a VERY important practice, hence the abuses of it are even more heinous. ;)
Last edited by Blue Garuda on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

xylem wrote:"encouragement not to waste time or energy on useless things" is the pith essence of renunciation even in the sutra tradition.

-xy
Malcolm wrote: I see the first four (lojongs of vima nyigthig) more as an encouragement not to waste time or energy on useless things. But I don't see them as a encouraging a path of renunciation.
Not really xylem-- the motive is really quite different. In Sutrayāna teachings, desire for example is regarded as poison, etc. Dzogchen is not a path of renunciation, as you know. Suggesting that in order to understand Dzogchen you must engage in path of renunciation practices is, my opinion, just not so.

As to your other observation, yes it is true, people really mostly want to have arguments here. Hence my decreasing participation.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Clarence wrote:
Malcolm wrote: I see the first fout more as an encouragement not to waste time or energy on useless things. But I don't see them as a encouraging a path of renunciation.

Enjoying your life, having a nice glass of wine, a juicy steak, a good woman (or man) at your side, nice music, flowers, herbs, etc.

All these things are important and necessary (depending on your preferences and health, etc.)

M
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm wrote:
Clarence wrote:

Enjoying your life, having a nice glass of wine, a juicy steak, a good woman (or man) at your side, nice music, flowers, herbs, etc.

All these things are important and necessary (depending on your preferences and health, etc.)

M
Thanks. I will try to start understanding how that works in the paradigm of practicing Dzogchen. Still a little ways away from that.
xylem

Post by xylem »

malcolm-la...

i agree with you. you are correct.

i keep coming back to there being one dharma. for me, all of these conflicts between methodologies collapse in such an approach. take renunciation. i'd say all buddhists practice that in this spirit of there being on essential practice, one dharma. in the lower vehicles phenomena are avoided because they are poison. a more hidden understanding on the tantric path is renunciation is abandoning contaminated appearances. on a deeper level renunciation is withdrawing the winds into the central channel. far deeper it is the separation and thorough cut.

maybe it's just a difference in teaching styles of great lamas. my late root teacher and current root teacher always bring things to a single point.

-xy

Malcolm wrote:
xylem wrote:"encouragement not to waste time or energy on useless things" is the pith essence of renunciation even in the sutra tradition.

-xy
Not really xylem-- the motive is really quite different. In Sutrayāna teachings, desire for example is regarded as poison, etc. Dzogchen is not a path of renunciation, as you know. Suggesting that in order to understand Dzogchen you must engage in path of renunciation practices is, my opinion, just not so.

As to your other observation, yes it is true, people really mostly want to have arguments here. Hence my decreasing participation.
uan

Post by uan »

Malcolm wrote:
really? very linear concept. I guess we only have this one life then the flame goes out forever.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

uan wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
really? very linear concept. I guess we only have this one life then the flame goes out forever.

Flame? No? Opportunity, very likely.
krodha

Post by krodha »

uan wrote:
All concepts are linear.
greentreee

Post by greentreee »

asunthatneversets wrote:
uan wrote:
All concepts are linear.

concepts are of mind,
as we move through precious time.
what's back there, is fine.

breath well.
scratching thick hair'd head,
"if air can be conditioned,
like where's the shampoo?"

"greentreee"
Pero

Post by Pero »

Malcolm wrote:
Pero wrote:
Malcolm wrote: The onus is on the teacher's side to be honest. Conceptually deciding that Dipshit Rinpoche and Geshe Unctuous is a Buddha when all his actions indicate the contrary is just plain stupid and deluded. When Dipshit Rinpoche and Geshe Unctuous encourage their students into such beliefs, it just creates cults.

M

Sure it is. I was saying that teachers who recognize that they are not realized should completely discourage their students from perceiving them as Buddhas.
That's not the same thing. Above that you say that when the teacher's actions indicate the contrary. Below you say in all cases if they aren't realized. That would be wrong.
Last edited by Pero on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hi Pero:

I think it is a total joke for unrealized teachers to permit their students to perceive them as Buddhas. This is encouraging people to believe in fantasies.

You can think it wrong all you like. That is what I think. So we will agree to disagree.

M
Pero

Post by Pero »

Malcolm wrote:Hi Pero:

I think it is a total joke for unrealized teachers to permit their students to perceive them as Buddhas. This is encouraging people to believe in fantasies.

You can think it wrong all you like. That is what I think. So we will agree to disagree.
Ok, though it's not like I don't get where you're coming from. But I still wonder what you think of the saying that "if you view the teacher as a realized being..." then?
- Shabkar

Return to “Dzogchen”