Memorization of Dzogchen Tantras/Upadeshas/Texts

Rinchen Dorje

Memorization of Dzogchen Tantras/Upadeshas/Texts

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I can see the benefit in doing this to help develop and clarify ones View/Tawa but I can also see the opposite. Would like to hear others thoughts on this...
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Re: Memorization of Dzogchen Tantras/Upadeshas/Texts

Post by Malcolm »

Fa Dao wrote:I can see the benefit in doing this to help develop and clarify ones View/Tawa but I can also see the opposite. Would like to hear others thoughts on this...

Memorizing a short text like the aspiration of Samantabhadra is only helpful, never harmful.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Namdrol wrote: Memorizing a short text like the aspiration of Samantabhadra is only helpful, never harmful.
Does it plant a seed for future lives?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
Namdrol wrote: Memorizing a short text like the aspiration of Samantabhadra is only helpful, never harmful.
Does it plant a seed for future lives?

Kirt
Most assuredly.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Namdrol, you wouldnt happen to know of a good translation for that would you? :D
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Fa Dao wrote:Namdrol, you wouldnt happen to know of a good translation for that would you? :D

Well, it will probably be posted online when Rinpoche does the webcast in a few days times.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have found memorising short definitions from people like Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche to be very useful indeed. Even memorising a texts structure is useful I think - they are often laid out in a specific manner to reflect various stages.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

Return to “Dzogchen”