Dzogchen Blog (formerly Dzogchen World)...

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Dzogchen Blog (formerly Dzogchen World)...

Postby Dechen Norbu » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:39 am

:twothumbsup: Great having you there!
Dechen Norbu

Postby Dronma » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:48 pm

I just received this message while I was trying to visit the home page of Dzogchen Blog:

"Warning: Something's Not Right Here!
dzogchenworld.ning.com contains content from http://www.ustream.tv, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else.
We have already notified http://www.ustream.tv that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on http://www.ustream.tv, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page."

Does anybody else have the same problem?
"My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour"
~ Padmasambhava ~
Dronma

Postby Norwegian » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:21 pm

It seems your anti-virus software or malware protection software is acting strange.

USTREAM is a legit website, and has a global audience - just like YouTube. It is not "known" to distribute malware at all.

What is going on however, is that Google has flagged USTREAM as a dangerous site that may possibly harm your computer. And what is the competing site of USTREAM? YouTube. Who does YouTube have a partnership with? Google. So, easy solution for Google then, go with the smear-campaign: Flag any and all links from USTREAM as "dangerous".

My anti-virus software and malware protection software has no problems with USTREAM at all.
Norwegian

Postby Dronma » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Norwegian wrote:It seems your anti-virus software or malware protection software is acting strange.

USTREAM is a legit website, and has a global audience - just like YouTube. It is not "known" to distribute malware at all.

What is going on however, is that Google has flagged USTREAM as a dangerous site that may possibly harm your computer. And what is the competing site of USTREAM? YouTube. Who does YouTube have a partnership with? Google. So, easy solution for Google then, go with the smear-campaign: Flag any and all links from USTREAM as "dangerous".

My anti-virus software and malware protection software has no problems with USTREAM at all.

It might be like you say. But I visit very often DB and I never had any problem until today. So I thought to ask if anybody else received the same warning.... :shrug:
You know, it is not rare for a legit website to be hacked..... ;)
~ Padmasambhava ~
Dronma

Postby Fa Dao » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Dronma, I got the same message too..I just ignored it for the reasons listed above. In fact there was a virus a while back called the "google redirect virus" and by a few other names. If you were using any other browser besides google chrome you would do a google search and when you clicked on the link it would take you to some totally unrelated site. Did it on IE and even on Firefox. I am almost convinced that somebody at google created it. The virus came out not long after google chrome was created. That virus is damn near impossible to get rid of.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Fa Dao

Postby Dronma » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Fa Dao wrote:Dronma, I got the same message too..I just ignored it for the reasons listed above. In fact there was a virus a while back called the "google redirect virus" and by a few other names. If you were using any other browser besides google chrome you would do a google search and when you clicked on the link it would take you to some totally unrelated site. Did it on IE and even on Firefox. I am almost convinced that somebody at google created it. The virus came out not long after google chrome was created. That virus is damn near impossible to get rid of.

Thank you, Fa Dao! Last months I am using always Google Chrome and it never gave me such warning before, only today. This is what makes me wonder....
In any case, I'll check again the page later. :smile:
~ Padmasambhava ~
Dronma

Postby MalaBeads » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Something happened on Ustream this morning. Malware warnings were everywhere. Ustream is aware of the problem and has been working to fix it. I don't know what happened and won't speculate. I'm still using Ustream. Better not to transmit sensitive info though.
MalaBeads

Postby Karma Dorje » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:46 am

It was simply reported as suspicious to Google Safe Browsing. It should be fine now. Go here to check:

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diag ... ustream.tv

There is no malware being served by Ustream and this is not a redirect.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
~Arthur Carlson
Karma Dorje

Previous

Return to Dzogchen