Longde texts/tantras

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Longde texts/tantras

Postby Fa Dao » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Does anyone know what Longde texts/tantras have been translated into English and that are available? Seems like there is a lot of Semde and Upadesha texts that have been translated but not a lot of Longde.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
User avatar
Fa Dao
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby heart » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Jima Vaby's "Two Dzogchen Texts" contains a translation of the Longde tantra “The King of the Infinite Primordial Dimension.”

Then this might be interesting to read also http://www.duo.uio.no/sok/work.html?WOR ... 83&lang=en

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
User avatar
heart
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby Fa Dao » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Magnus, the abstract looks awesome however I cant seem to find where to download it.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
User avatar
Fa Dao
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby Greg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Fa Dao wrote:Magnus, the abstract looks awesome however I cant seem to find where to download it.


http://www.mediafire.com/?x4iruw5xjji04sd
Greg
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby Fa Dao » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:53 pm

very cool!! thanks Greg!! From the abstract it looks exatly like what I have been looking for...a comprehensive overview of the Longde section of Dzogchen. It will be very helpful in determining which direction I want to go with this. Thanks again all.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
User avatar
Fa Dao
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby Greg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Fa Dao wrote:very cool!! thanks Greg!! From the abstract it looks exatly like what I have been looking for...a comprehensive overview of the Longde section of Dzogchen. It will be very helpful in determining which direction I want to go with this. Thanks again all.


No prob, I think you will find it very informative.
Greg
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby Fa Dao » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Greg, read it. You were right, very informative. Thanks again.
Im wondering though..amongst those that teach Longde what is considered to be the essential text or Tantra that best lays out the view, path, and fruit of Longde?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
User avatar
Fa Dao
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby Greg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:37 am

Fa Dao wrote:Greg, read it. You were right, very informative. Thanks again.
Im wondering though..amongst those that teach Longde what is considered to be the essential text or Tantra that best lays out the view, path, and fruit of Longde?


My sense . .and i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong . is that nobody actually does really teach it and it's probably been 700 years since anyone did, unless NNR is trying to dust it off like he did with Semde. It's mostly a doxographical relic/placeholder in the convoluted world of the 9-yana schema, much like anuyoga.
Greg
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby Fa Dao » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:58 am

ChNNR does teach it. Both Vairocanas 4 Das and the Vajra Bridge. Though as far as I know he is the only one. I have been waiting a long time for him to teach it again. Apparently from what I hear he will be teaching it when he is in Taiwan in May...woo hoo!!!
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
User avatar
Fa Dao
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:02 am

Greg wrote:
Fa Dao wrote:Greg, read it. You were right, very informative. Thanks again.
Im wondering though..amongst those that teach Longde what is considered to be the essential text or Tantra that best lays out the view, path, and fruit of Longde?


My sense . .and i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong . is that nobody actually does really teach it and it's probably been 700 years since anyone did, unless NNR is trying to dust it off like he did with Semde. It's mostly a doxographical relic/placeholder in the convoluted world of the 9-yana schema, much like anuyoga.


ChNN definitely teaches it. In fact, if you go to tsegyalgar west's website there's a photo of the whole sangha there doing longde practice outdoors. Also, lineage holders of Chogyur Lingpa's Chogling tersar teach it via that tersar's "Dzogchen Desum" or "Three Series of Dzogchen" transmission. I'm not sure how freely Dzogchen Desum is taught, but a guy named Magnus who's a member of this forum would surely know since I think Chokling Tersar is his main lineage.
Pema Rigdzin
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby heart » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:34 am

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Greg wrote:My sense . .and i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong . is that nobody actually does really teach it and it's probably been 700 years since anyone did, unless NNR is trying to dust it off like he did with Semde. It's mostly a doxographical relic/placeholder in the convoluted world of the 9-yana schema, much like anuyoga.


ChNN definitely teaches it. In fact, if you go to tsegyalgar west's website there's a photo of the whole sangha there doing longde practice outdoors. Also, lineage holders of Chogyur Lingpa's Chogling tersar teach it via that tersar's "Dzogchen Desum" or "Three Series of Dzogchen" transmission. I'm not sure how freely Dzogchen Desum is taught, but a guy named Magnus who's a member of this forum would surely know since I think Chokling Tersar is his main lineage.


The Dzogchen Desum is taught but not very often and only in closed settings. In fact ChNNR received it from Tulku Urgyen himself. The opening practice in the Dzogchen Desum is a very short Guru Yoga on Shri Singha I have been told.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
User avatar
heart
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby Pero » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Fa Dao wrote:ChNNR does teach it. Both Vairocanas 4 Das and the Vajra Bridge. Though as far as I know he is the only one. I have been waiting a long time for him to teach it again. Apparently from what I hear he will be teaching it when he is in Taiwan in May...woo hoo!!!

Also it seems that he will teach Longde in Hongkong, just before the Taiwan retreat, as I think it will be Dzogchen Desum again. The longde practice from this is much more simple than Longsal so it might be good to attend this too.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby Lhug-Pa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:04 pm

This is great because the Taiwan and Hong Kong retreats will be during times where in the Americas many of us won't be at our jobs, even though we might have to sacrifice a lot of sleep (or even better, that we all become wealthy enough to travel to Asia physically as well). Don't know about you guys over in Europe and other places though..... I hope that all can attend one way or another.
User avatar
Lhug-Pa
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Longde texts/tantras

Postby Sönam » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:44 pm

By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
User avatar
Sönam
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: France


Return to Dzogchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Advaya, Nosta, Tod and 16 guests

>