ChNN's pronunciation

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

ChNN's pronunciation

Postby Sherlock » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:35 pm

I notice that his pronunciation of Sanskrit is a lot closer to the original than most Tibetans (e.g. Vajra instead of "benzar"). Is he atypical in this way or maybe it's just my own limited exposure to lamas?

Also, is his Tibetan pronunciation is more-or-less standard? I think the pronunciation handbook published by SSI said that "ky", "gy" in standard pronunciation were more or less "g" + "y" combined together, but Rinpoche pronounces it like Hanyu Pinyin "j", and going through Tournadre's textbook with recordings, it's just like Rinpoche's pronunciation. However, according to the book "dzogchen" is pronounced with an audible "k" while Rinpoche seems to just pronounce it with a long vowel.
Sherlock

Re: ChNN's pronunciation

Postby Malcolm » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Sherlock wrote:I notice that his pronunciation of Sanskrit is a lot closer to the original than most Tibetans (e.g. Vajra instead of "benzar"). Is he atypical in this way or maybe it's just my own limited exposure to lamas?

He studied Sanskrit at Derge, and also has taken a keen interest in languages his whole life.

His pronunciation is Derge dialect from East Tibet.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby mindyourmind » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Namdrol wrote:
Sherlock wrote:I notice that his pronunciation of Sanskrit is a lot closer to the original than most Tibetans (e.g. Vajra instead of "benzar"). Is he atypical in this way or maybe it's just my own limited exposure to lamas?

He studied Sanskrit at Derge, and also has taken a keen interest in languages his whole life.

...with a wonderful tinge of Italian thrown in there somewhere :namaste:
As bad as bad becomes its not a part of you

Talk Talk
mindyourmind

Postby Malcolm » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:00 pm

mindyourmind wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Yes, that is true.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby padma norbu » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:08 pm

When I consider that Namkhai Norbu learned Italian and English in such a short time and has accomplished so much, it's extreeeemely impressive. I have heard some other Tibetan teachers trying to speak English and it is very hard to follow, even after being in America for several years. Some, I literally couldn't understand a single sentence.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby heart » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:19 pm

mindyourmind wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

More than a tinge, his Italian is flawless.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby heart » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:22 pm

padma norbu wrote:When I consider that Namkhai Norbu learned Italian and English in such a short time and has accomplished so much, it's extreeeemely impressive. I have heard some other Tibetan teachers trying to speak English and it is very hard to follow, even after being in America for several years. Some, I literally couldn't understand a single sentence.

Khandro Rinpoche is the only one I know that is speaking really great English. It for sure makes the message come through easier, she is a knockout.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby padma norbu » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Yes, she is fantastic!! I heard about her through this forum and am blown away by her Youtubes.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby Mr. G » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:34 pm

H.H. Sakya Trizin speaks English incredibly well.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Paul » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:14 pm

heart wrote:
padma norbu wrote:When I consider that Namkhai Norbu learned Italian and English in such a short time and has accomplished so much, it's extreeeemely impressive. I have heard some other Tibetan teachers trying to speak English and it is very hard to follow, even after being in America for several years. Some, I literally couldn't understand a single sentence.

Khandro Rinpoche is the only one I know that is speaking really great English. It for sure makes the message come through easier, she is a knockout.

/magnus

Khandro Rinpoche's is indeed excellent. As is Dzongsar Khyentse's english.

Mingyur Rinpoche also has very good english, only very rarely useing a translator for some complex words.
This nature of mind is spontaneously present.
That spontaneity I was told is the dakini aspect.
Recognizing this should help me
Not to be stuck with fear of being sued.

-Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
Paul

Return to Dzogchen