The Freedoms and Endowments For Dzogchen Practice

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: The Freedoms and Endowments For Dzogchen Practice

Postby dakini_boi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Lhug-Pa wrote:
is simply sitting down and practicing everyday despite many doubts (whether it be about ourselves, the teachings, or both), a valid way to approach practicing? Or is already having strong faith beforehand required?

I think sitting down and practicing despite doubts is a good thing. As long as we are subject to dualistic vision, our attitude about practice (and about anything else) is going to be some mix of faith/doubt, hope/fear, etc. When I have observed feelings of doubt about my teachers, the practice, my circumstances, etc, I have always found that they are actually projections of my own self-doubt. When I face my own self-doubt, I realize that I have the option to practice with doubt, or not practice at all. In my experience, choosing to practice is better. At one point when I was feeling very hopeless, I just told myself that no matter what, I would complete 1,200,000 vajra guru mantras. Sticking to practice has turned out to be beneficial, and there are always ups and downs - but less and less often do I find myself in despair about practice.

Lhug-Pa wrote:In summary, the best that can be done at this point, is to abandon hope and fear; and pray for various aspects of success (which seems to contradict the abandoning of hope part) for the sake of all sentient beings (which makes abandoning hope not contradictory to praying for success), yes?

Well, you might not be able to "abandon hope and fear" at will. I would say, just observe your hope and fear, and realize that they are the blood and bones of samsara at work. . . and yes, pray for success, and for all the resources, circumstances, and relationships needed for your practice to be successful.
dakini_boi

Postby Lhug-Pa » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks again Dakini Boi.

It sounds like doing your best is what has gotten you through thus far on your Path.

So I think the gist of my situation is that, instead of pretending to do my best, I really need to start doing my best.

:anjali:
Lhug-Pa

Postby Sönam » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:10 am

dakini_boi wrote:
Lhug-Pa wrote:
is simply sitting down and practicing everyday despite many doubts (whether it be about ourselves, the teachings, or both), a valid way to approach practicing? Or is already having strong faith beforehand required?

I think sitting down and practicing despite doubts is a good thing.

... and it's the best (only) way to eradicate doubts !

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Postby dakini_boi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Lhug-Pa wrote:Thanks again Dakini Boi.

It sounds like doing your best is what has gotten you through thus far on your Path.

So I think the gist of my situation is that, instead of pretending to do my best, I really need to start doing my best.

:anjali:

Yes. And at times your best might seem extremely poor. Still practice, and dedicate the practice. Even dedicate your pathetic attempts. Just think about the merit necessary to even have the concept in your mind of happiness free from conditions for every being. We take it for granted, but even being able to think about dharma, or great dharma teachers - even if we're in inner turmoil - is a result of inconceivable merit. Think about all the harmful actions people engage as a result of their poisons. . . you have chosen instead to think about dharma, want to practice better, express doubt about your abilities, seek help. . . that in itself is worth celebrating, Lhug-Pa.
dakini_boi

Postby Lhug-Pa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:11 am

:good:

So attitude is key then.

All I can say about this for right now, is that I need to start practicing again as soon as possible.

Regarding some of the apparent obstacles related to that, I think maybe I'll address it later in the Ganapuja thread I started, or in this thread.

Or maybe it's about time I just shut my mouth, finish studying the Drajyor book in order to pronounce the practice texts correctly; and from there, wing it if I have to, and do my best to have Right Intention (right attitude) as the foundation stone.
Lhug-Pa

Postby Josef » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:44 am

Lhug-Pa wrote:Or maybe it's about time I just shut my mouth, finish studying the Drajyor book in order to pronounce the practice texts correctly; and from there, wing it if I have to, and do my best to have Right Intention (right attitude) as the foundation stone.

As Captain Picard would say, "Make it so number one."
Josef

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:43 am

Nangwa wrote:
Lhug-Pa wrote:Or maybe it's about time I just shut my mouth, finish studying the Drajyor book in order to pronounce the practice texts correctly; and from there, wing it if I have to, and do my best to have Right Intention (right attitude) as the foundation stone.

As Captain Picard would say, "Make it so number one."

This ^
Pema Rigdzin

Previous

Return to Dzogchen