How much $ are weekend retreats these days?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

How much $ are weekend retreats these days?

Postby padma norbu » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:11 pm

Unfortunately, my wife booked a mini vacation on the exact weekend Namkhai Norbu is coming to NY. Then, we have a larger vacation booked at the end of July. I am trying to figure out if I can afford to pay all cost differences to switch the mini vacation + the weekend retreat + the larger vacation. My wife is, of course, PISSED and so I am just trying to figure this out with as little drama as possible quickly (by tonight).

Thanks!
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Re: How much $ are weekend retreats these days?

Postby Mr. G » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:24 am

Well the retreat at Tashigar South was about $220. I'm not sure how much the NY one will be.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby padma norbu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:24 am

thanks and feel free to delete this if you want. kind of a waste of space, I suppose. Decided to skip the retreat. I can listen to replay (hopefully).
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby justin.hudgins » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:00 am

I'm not married nor do I have a regular job, so I'm unfamiliar with the difficulties presented by either of those, but why not just reschedule your vacation and attend Rinpoche's retreats? You spend a decent amount of time with your wife anyway and who knows when you'll next have the opportunity to spend time with Rinpoche.
justin.hudgins

Postby Sönam » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:31 am

Rinpoche did often speaks about that kind of circumstances ... even recently!

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Postby padma norbu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:42 pm

justin.hudgins wrote:I'm not married nor do I have a regular job, so I'm unfamiliar with the difficulties presented by either of those, but why not just reschedule your vacation and attend Rinpoche's retreats? You spend a decent amount of time with your wife anyway and who knows when you'll next have the opportunity to spend time with Rinpoche.

The cost involved + hurting other people's feelings. It's simple, really. I can't afford to change the mini-vacation and pay for the retreat without cancelling the later vacation which is a beach house already rented out by my wife's parents. I am very poor these days. My wife was really excited about the timing of the mini-vacation, anyway, since it is immediately after her last class and an instant break from a difficult year. On the other hand, I can listen to a replay. I've met Namkhai Norbu in person before and attended a retreat in person. I remember what it is like. I have most of the empowerments, etc. already, so the teaching is what is important and if I can listen to replay, then that's fine. Also, I am hoping to be a good boy and save up money to go to the LA or Conway retreat which will not conflict with anything and doesn't need to be decided right now.
padma norbu

Postby padma norbu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Sönam wrote:Rinpoche did often speaks about that kind of circumstances ... even recently!

Sönam

What did he say? I am familiar with the idea that when the guru is close, we should stay close, but I am also trying to work with circumstances and not be selfish about it.
padma norbu

Postby daelm » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:55 pm

padma norbu wrote:
Sönam wrote:Rinpoche did often speaks about that kind of circumstances ... even recently!

Sönam

What did he say? I am familiar with the idea that when the guru is close, we should stay close, but I am also trying to work with circumstances and not be selfish about it.

basically, he said sometimes it's tough. :)

d
daelm

Postby Sönam » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Simply that we have to deal with our circumstances and make our choices ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 pm

The more I had to give up, even dharma-related events, the more frustrated and resentful I felt.
The more and resentful I felt, the more I had to look at where those feeling came from.
The more I looked at where those feeling came from, the more I saw it was based on attachment
and when I looked at that attachment I saw it all came down to clinging to "me".

"Why should I have to give up these precious, hard to find teachings, this one-to-one contact with a great teacher,
which will no doubt turn me into an enlightened bodhisattva who will then benefit uncountable suffering sentient beings
just because I have to do some stupid bullshit that somebody else wants?"

That is when I realize how much patience and generosity it takes, and how much clinging I have to let go of.

Years later, it has paid off, and I am told , 'why don't you go off to that buddhist thing you were talking about,
while I go visit my folks?"
and now everybody is happy.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby padma norbu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Yeah, I didn't make a fuss about it at all.
padma norbu

Postby Kilaya. » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:56 pm

PadmaVonSamba wrote:The more I had to give up, even dharma-related events, the more frustrated and resentful I felt.
The more and resentful I felt, the more I had to look at where those feeling came from.
The more I looked at where those feeling came from, the more I saw it was based on attachment
and when I looked at that attachment I saw it all came down to clinging to "me".

"Why should I have to give up these precious, hard to find teachings, this one-to-one contact with a great teacher,
which will no doubt turn me into an enlightened bodhisattva who will then benefit uncountable suffering sentient beings
just because I have to do some stupid bullshit that somebody else wants?"

That is when I realize how much patience and generosity it takes, and how much clinging I have to let go of.

Years later, it has paid off, and I am told , 'why don't you go off to that buddhist thing you were talking about,
while I go visit my folks?"
and now everybody is happy.

Great post, thank you!
Kilaya.

Return to Dzogchen