Transmission on the Internet

Mr. G

Re: ChNNR Dorje Drolo retreat

Post by Mr. G »

Namdrol wrote:To all people freaking out about wether they got this or not, relax, you did.

As long as you participated as best you could you got it.
:thumbsup:

• How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Pero wrote: No, of course it has. But I just don't immediately jump to the conclusion it's a software problem. Because if it was then webcast connection would be crappy every retreat and it isn't. At least for me that is, I don't usually have problems with it.
You'll have to forgive me because I am an IT snob. I work in the IT field as a Network Administrator where critical outage situations are time sensitive, root-cause analyses are taken, and actions are performed so similar problematic situations don't occur again in the future. If the internet infrastructure in Argentina is not up to par with the rest of Latin America, then sure, nothing can be done. However, if this is happening in other areas that are well developed like Europe, well, it shouldn't be ignored.

Seems like Ustream and Livestream may be more stable.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Pero

Post by Pero »

Mr. G wrote:
Pero wrote: No, of course it has. But I just don't immediately jump to the conclusion it's a software problem. Because if it was then webcast connection would be crappy every retreat and it isn't. At least for me that is, I don't usually have problems with it.
You'll have to forgive me because I am an IT snob.
:rolling:

I work in the IT field as a Network Administrator where critical outage situations are time sensitive, root-cause analyses are taken, and actions are performed so similar problematic situations don't occur again in the future. If the internet infrastructure in Argentina is not up to par with the rest of Latin America, then sure, nothing can be done. However, if this is happening in other areas that are well developed like Europe, well, it shouldn't be ignored.
I'm afraid I don't remember so well when/where there are/were problems to say anything for certain. :shrug:

P.S.: Ironically, just when I wanted to post this an hour ago, I became unable to connect to Dharmawheel till now.

P.P.S.: BTW, topic is not really about "transmission" on the internet. :D
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Pero wrote:
P.P.S.: BTW, topic is not really about "transmission" on the internet. :D
Sure it is. General questions, comments and issues.
Pero wrote: I'm afraid I don't remember so well when/where there are/were problems to say anything for certain. :shrug:
Which is why a deep dive into the root cause should be performed.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Pero

Post by Pero »

Mr. G wrote:Which is why a deep dive into the root cause should be performed.
Would be good but perhaps it does not happen often enough for them to think it that important?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Pero wrote:
Would be good but perhaps it does not happen often enough for them to think it that important?
Which is why people should email them to tell them there are issues when it happens. I don't think the webcast team even reads these forums.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Pero

Post by Pero »

Mr. G wrote:
Pero wrote:
Which is why people should email them to tell them there are issues when it happens. I don't think the webcast team even reads these forums.
Yeah I don't think they do (why would they). I only emailed them once if I remember right, at the very beginning, because they messed up with my last name. I didn't receive a reply and so since the beginning they have me under a completely different last name than my real one lol...
- Shabkar
Sherlock

Re: Transmission on the Internet

Post by Sherlock »

Actually I have a question about "intention" and the validity of the transmission through webcast. Does this then mean that watching old webcasts with the intention to receive the teachings would be valid?
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Sherlock wrote:Does this then mean that watching old webcasts with the intention to receive the teachings would be valid?
Namdrol has mentioned in the past that watching a replay that is not live (regardless of delay) is not valid.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
daelm

Post by daelm »

alpha wrote:i have similar issue with my login details.

I have become a member of DC in august last year and i am still waiting for my login details.
I have sent several emails to people who should know these things requesting their advice but nothing happened so far.

It seems that the ones responsible for this situation are the ones in Merigar.
THis IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS..
I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY ARE SO USELESS.
I THINK THIS IS GONE TOO FAR.

This makes me absolutely furious that after so many months they are still unable to create those bloody details.

I now find myself unable to take part in this webcast and obviously to listen to replays.
dude, you need to chill. while i appreciate that it can be frustrating and i've also gone through it, you have to remember that the only reason you have the opportunity to participate at all is because of the same people you're berating.

by all means, help it get fixed, but constructively.

d
daelm

Post by daelm »

[quote="Pero""]
Could be. Are you saying intermittent video or audio has never happened outside of Argentina?
No, of course it has. But I just don't immediately jump to the conclusion it's a software problem. Because if it was then webcast connection would be crappy every retreat and it isn't. At least for me that is, I don't usually have problems with it.[/quote]

audio's usually stable for me, with some exceptions. but today was pretty bad. and it was bad on both connections i had open, using different ISP's (one ADSL line and one mobile 3g connection). both connections went down at the same spots all the time, which says to me it's a problem at source.

it is really worth looking at, but - for me - the main problem is going to be that it's not worth the local center doing anything about it, because wherever it is, they're on site. so it's hard to make anyone pay attention. i'm in South Africa, so who cares whether my reception is any good? for example. so honestly, bitching about it won't have any effect, because there's no-one to receive that bitching. it'll be solved if someone figures out a solution. when they do, I'll help implement it, if i can.

d
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

daelm wrote:so honestly, bitching about it won't have any effect, because there's no-one to receive that bitching. it'll be solved if someone figures out a solution.
I think emailing the webcast team and Merigar to let them know problems are actually occurring are constructive and will have a positive effect in the future.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
daelm

Post by daelm »

Mr. G wrote:
daelm wrote:so honestly, bitching about it won't have any effect, because there's no-one to receive that bitching. it'll be solved if someone figures out a solution.
I think emailing the webcast team and Merigar to let them know problems are actually occurring are constructive and will have a positive effect in the future.

i hope so. also think it might be up to us, though.

d
krodha

Post by krodha »

I'll tell you what, that connection this morning was shot. Jeopardized assimilation of the whole teaching going on for anyone who wasn't in the same room as Rinpoche. I resorted to just remaining focused and open to rinpoche because I know he was putting it out there to be received. I do hope whatever the nature of the problem is with the connection gets resolved. Other than that it's been an informative and interesting retreat!
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

I've been reading the whole thread ... many laments and inconveniences. No one simply notice that all what happens (or not) was simply our circumstances, that we hear what we were supposed to hear, at the right place, at the right moment.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Sönam wrote:No one simply notice that all what happens (or not) was simply our circumstances, that we hear what we were supposed to hear, at the right place, at the right moment.

Sönam
No, I noticed it Sonam. However, it doesn't mean we become fatalists, for improvements can be put in place for the future
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Mr. G wrote:
Sönam wrote:No one simply notice that all what happens (or not) was simply our circumstances, that we hear what we were supposed to hear, at the right place, at the right moment.

Sönam
No, I noticed it Sonam. However, it doesn't mean we become fatalists, for improvements can be put in place for the future
I am for improvement too ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Kilaya.

Post by Kilaya. »

I just received this email. We became famous. :)
Greetings to all of community members!

I do not know to whom to address this message, but if anybody know, please forward it to IT tech group who supports webcasts.
I want to remind everyone about today's issues with online webcast transmission of the teachings. A lot of people that was connected online was suffering from this tech issues all the way, and basically a some of them have concerns now about did they get the transmission at all or not.
If interesting, please just take a few minutes to read through discussion on dharmawheel forum about this. http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone could say that it is karmic staff, that somebody didn't get the transmission or have doubt after it, and it will takes later better time for him and he will be able to get it, but I think that may be it could be better way of preparation for upcoming web casts from tech group (testing hardware and software in different configurations or trying another software - Ustream for example) to avoid in a future such problems. Or may be if it was overloading all the time with upcoming connections from anonymous users it is good to have different streams or servers for members and nonmembers?
Look at those charlatans, madly engaged
in fervent argument.
- Milarepa
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Kilaya. wrote:I just received this email. We became famous. :)
Greetings to all of community members!

I do not know to whom to address this message, but if anybody know, please forward it to IT tech group who supports webcasts.
I want to remind everyone about today's issues with online webcast transmission of the teachings. A lot of people that was connected online was suffering from this tech issues all the way, and basically a some of them have concerns now about did they get the transmission at all or not.
If interesting, please just take a few minutes to read through discussion on dharmawheel forum about this. http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone could say that it is karmic staff, that somebody didn't get the transmission or have doubt after it, and it will takes later better time for him and he will be able to get it, but I think that may be it could be better way of preparation for upcoming web casts from tech group (testing hardware and software in different configurations or trying another software - Ustream for example) to avoid in a future such problems. Or may be if it was overloading all the time with upcoming connections from anonymous users it is good to have different streams or servers for members and nonmembers?
You just received this email Kilaya? Was this in response to an email you sent them?
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Kilaya.

Post by Kilaya. »

Mr. G wrote:You just received this email Kilaya? Was this in response to an email you sent them?
No, it came from Norbunet email list.
Look at those charlatans, madly engaged
in fervent argument.
- Milarepa

Return to “Dzogchen”