ChNNR Dorje Drolo retreat

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: ChNNR Dorje Drolo retreat

Postby heart » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Namdrol wrote:
heart wrote:
Thank you Namdrol! So from the the longer and shorter sadhanas and activity manuals Rinpoche is giving the essence of the concise daily practice?

/magnus

This another sadhana, called the rgyun khyer, page 133-135. This is what he again gave the short lung for today.

Then of course, one can do it in the short thun, etc., in all the ways rinpoche mentioned.

Thank you again Namdrol!

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:49 am

Sherlock wrote:So which lungs did Rinpoche just give besides the usual ones from the tun book?

Odzer Chenma
Mandarava
Korwa Tongtrug
Gomadevi
Chod
Naga practice
Vajrapani

Did I miss any?

Also these:
Tara
Red Garuda
Dorje Kotrab and mantras for reversing inauspicious days
Purification of the 6 lokas
25 spaces of Samantabhadra
Shitro
Lung for empowering lungta and namkha
Invocation of the lamp
Sang
Serkyem to the 8 classes

That's all I can remember for sure.
Pema Rigdzin

Postby Pero » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:21 am

alpha wrote:It seems that the connection died completely...

I was unable to listen from work (for the first 45 min, then I just gave up trying). Did anyone else have a problem yesterday? I wasn't sure if there's no connection or if it's somehow blocked at work (the webcast page opened just fine though).
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby ratna » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:26 am

I had more or less perfect connection the whole time yesterday.

Pero wrote:

I was unable to listen from work (for the first 45 min, then I just gave up trying). Did anyone else have a problem yesterday? I wasn't sure if there's no connection or if it's somehow blocked at work (the webcast page opened just fine though).
ratna

Postby simhanada » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:50 am

Pero wrote:

my connection was fine for the most part, no dropouts but a little stalling but then I'm on a mobile network which is not always great. I usually can't listen at work as some streaming stuff doesn't work.
simhanada

Postby Sönam » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:08 am

Pero wrote:

Quite perfect yesterday ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Postby alpha » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19 am

well...what i meant was that the connection during Ganapuja dropped.Just after Namkha i think.It never recovered unfortunately.My internet connection was fine though...It could have been a local problem.

But the connection during teaching was perfect.
AOM
alpha

Postby Pero » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks. Guess it was some kind of block at work then.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby alpha » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:50 pm

Can someone Pm me with a brief summary of the anuyoga style Dorje Drollo given in the second day?

I got lost at the point where Rinpoche started to mention the action mantra and just before blue Hung or the 3 Hung's.And how do you conclude the practice?He doenst say.

And in this short version are we visualizing the mantra as he explained before when he said that we can do the practice of Dorje Drollo like in Tun when we replace Guru Thragpur?

Also in the 3rd day i didnt understand a word he said when he started to explain the very esential practice with the Hung in the Ati style.There was lots of Dzogchen jargon in there and i got completely lost.What are you supposed to do in this practice?

I would really appreciate it .
Thanks.
AOM
alpha

Postby Malcolm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:06 pm

alpha wrote:Can someone Pm me with a brief summary of the anuyoga style Dorje Drollo given in the second day?

I got lost at the point where Rinpoche started to mention the action mantra and just before blue Hung or the 3 Hung's.And how do you conclude the practice?He doenst say.

And in this short version are we visualizing the mantra as he explained before when he said that we can do the practice of Dorje Drollo like in Tun when we replace Guru Thragpur?

Also in the 3rd day i didnt understand a word he said when he started to explain the very esential practice with the Hung in the Ati style.There was lots of Dzogchen jargon in there and i got completely lost.What are you supposed to do in this practice?

Thanks.

Just put it in the short or medium thuns, substituting it for Dragphur.

I will pm you seperately on the other.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby alpha » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:08 pm

Thank you very much Namdrol
I appreciate it.
AOM
alpha

Postby padma norbu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:27 pm

I don't understand the pronunciation of these two based on the spelling: Dragphur and Drolo. Namkhai Norbu seems to shift the "r" to a different location, similar to the way Brett Favre's last name is pronouced "Farv" which is clearly transposing the "v" and "r".
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby Malcolm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:10 pm

padma norbu wrote:I don't understand the pronunciation of these two based on the spelling: Dragphur and Drolo. Namkhai Norbu seems to shift the "r" to a different location, similar to the way Brett Favre's last name is pronouced "Farv" which is clearly transposing the "v" and "r".

གྲོ་བོ་ལོཏ is pronounced:

drōlöt

Elongate the first ō to double the length. So it is not "dro wo" as pronounced in some other traditions. ChNN clearly explained that in this case, the 'wo' (བོ) is merely elongating the o sound and the 'w' part is elided in pronunciation.

Second o has an umlaut, this is a feature of Tibetan prounciation of o when there is a final consonant that sounds to us like it has a 'r' sound in it, but it doesn't.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby padma norbu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:13 pm

I just sounds like he's saying "Torlay" to me. Dorje Torlay. Is that right?

I'm asking because the mantra has "guru grovolod" in it and I know it's not going to be easy to decipher by listening to the replay.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby MrDistracted » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi

The 'grovolod' is a transliteration from the tibetan, phonetically it is different.
Namdrol's post above is, as usual, spot on.
Last edited by MrDistracted on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrDistracted

Postby daelm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Namdrol wrote:
alpha wrote:Can someone Pm me with a brief summary of the anuyoga style Dorje Drollo given in the second day?

Thanks.

Just put it in the short or medium thuns, substituting it for Dragphur.

I will pm you seperately on the other.

please send me that pm too or better, email. :)

thanks

d
daelm

Postby Malcolm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:36 pm

padma norbu wrote:I just sounds like he's saying "Torlay" to me. Dorje Torlay. Is that right?

I'm asking because the mantra has "guru grovolod" in it and I know it's not going to be easy to decipher by listening to the replay.

No,he is saying Dorje Drolö.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby Dronma » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Namdrol wrote:drōlöt

Elongate the first ō to double the length. So it is not "dro wo" as pronounced in some other traditions. ChNN clearly explained that in this case, the 'wo' (བོ) is merely elongating the o sound and the 'w' part is elided in pronunciation.

Second o has an umlaut, this is a feature of Tibetan prounciation of o when there is a final consonant that sounds to us like it has a 'r' sound in it, but it doesn't.

I agree with Namdrol. The pronunciation is exactly like this!
The same confusion comes out very often when we try to pronounce correctly some Tibetan words. Not to mention there are major varieties on the way of pronunciation in between the different regions of Tibet. :applause:
For example, a very common mis-pronunciation is of the seed syllable of the Padma family: HRI.
Rinpoche has a special way to say it. But people who have no idea about Tibetan language, they often pronounce it SHRI which in fact is another Tibetan word with totally different meaning and spelling! Even though Rinpoche gave detailed explanation about this a long time ago, I am still hearing in retreats some people say it loudly: SsssHriii..... :tantrum:
"My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour"
~ Padmasambhava ~
Dronma

Postby Fa Dao » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Rinpoche is always saying that it is important to know the meaning/purpose of doing a particular practice. So, while I caught the part on how to do it I did not catch the part on the why. I feel a strong connection to this practice and have very little idea what its for other than the obvious basic that it is similar to Guru Tragphur and Simhamukha for clearing obstacles. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Fa Dao

Postby Mr. G » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 pm

padma norbu wrote:I know it's not going to be easy to decipher by listening to the replay.

Actually, I think you'll get it...he was pretty clear on the audio.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

PreviousNext

Return to Dzogchen