Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche Fanboys

Dronma

Re: Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche Fanboys

Post by Dronma »

Dechen Norbu wrote:It's a bit of a nonsensical topic... I feel temped to put it to rest. :lol:
I agree with Dechen Norbu. :twothumbsup:
I see no reason why this nonsense exists in Dharma Wheel.
It is very offensive so long as the name "Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche" is on the title! :guns:
Delete the name and write something else like "balls and tits fun...boys", then write what you like. :tongue:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Dronma,

The whole premise of this thread is how profound the "fanboys" feel Rinpoche's teachings are. Since those teachings spring from his wisdom, the point of the thread is to praise Rinpoche.

Secondly, are the proverbial balls and tits somehow impure in your Dzogchen view? Aren't they and all other conventional appearances simply the tsal of rigpa?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

"Profound as balls", and so on is language. More precisely it is slang.

Look at what it is supposed to convey in the context it belongs to, instead of seeing "balls" and be offended. If I say that something is profound as balls, it means that it is a high quality stamp of approval. I wouldn't just slap that onto anything I see, really.

And I don't think anybody in this thread are trying to be offensive, or denigrating. What is going on is praise of Rinpoche's teachings, not the opposite. I'm not gonna describe what I think about his teachings in a dry and stale Victorian English, I will use what lies closest to my heart, the way I use my own language, or English. And if I know that the people I talk to are familiar to the things I'm familiar with (subculture, sociolect, slang, era, geographical location, and all of these things), then I'll use a language that everybody understands.

I know what I'd use to describe what I think about his books and teachings in my own language, and it'd really be a parallel to "profound as balls", "kicks ass" and similar.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Dronma,

The whole premise of this thread is how profound the "fanboys" feel Rinpoche's teachings are. Since those teachings spring from his wisdom, the point of the thread is to praise Rinpoche.

Firstly, does "fanboys" mean that the topic is addressed only to boys? Well, then you should write a sign "girls forbidden".... :stirthepot:
Pema Rigdzin wrote: Secondly, are the proverbial balls and tits somehow impure in your Dzogchen view?
Do you really want to discuss here about "my Dzogchen view"? :meditate:
Pema Rigdzin wrote: Aren't they and all other conventional appearances simply the tsal of rigpa?

Is Samsara and ignorance appearances of rigpa?
Putting the question more specifically with the example: if somebody stab you in the back, is himself, his action and the result of his action in the state of rigpa? :jawdrop:
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Objecting to term "fanboys" is mere political correctness.

Sure, the topic could have "fangirls" also in it (why not?), but I really take it as it stands, to be all-inclusive of everybody who are fans of Rinpoche, so to speak, using that term of phrase.

But then maybe we should take it even further, say that only using -boys and -girls is offensive, as we should use -person...

And at that point in time if so were to happen, I will sigh loudly and wonder if someone perhaps missed the whole point of it all.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Norwegian wrote:"Profound as balls", and so on is language. More precisely it is slang.

Look at what it is supposed to convey in the context it belongs to, instead of seeing "balls" and be offended. If I say that something is profound as balls, it means that it is a high quality stamp of approval. I wouldn't just slap that onto anything I see, really.

And I don't think anybody in this thread are trying to be offensive, or denigrating. What is going on is praise of Rinpoche's teachings, not the opposite. I'm not gonna describe what I think about his teachings in a dry and stale Victorian English, I will use what lies closest to my heart, the way I use my own language, or English. And if I know that the people I talk to are familiar to the things I'm familiar with (subculture, sociolect, slang, era, geographical location, and all of these things), then I'll use a language that everybody understands.

I know what I'd use to describe what I think about his books and teachings in my own language, and it'd really be a parallel to "profound as balls", "kicks ass" and similar.
It should be probably OK if somebody was saying once "profound as balls". Although, in my language when we say in slang that something is like "balls", that means we seriously depreciate it! Balls are not profound in Greek.... :tongue:
So, problem number 1 appears: Here we are sharing "Dharma Wheel" different people, of different culture and with different approach of life.
Some people before me had posted kindly their objections, but instead of listen to them and respect them, the "funny boys" were sarcastic towards them! Which gives us the problem number 2.
The problem number 3 is: Almost 2 pages of this topic are full of silly babble with no reference to Rinpoche or the teachings.
Of course, everybody is free to express him/herself the way he/she likes, but it is always important to respect others!!! :namaste:
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Dronma wrote:
Firstly, does "fanboys" mean that the topic is addressed only to boys? Well, then you should write a sign "girls forbidden".... :stirthepot: [/color]
I think this question arises from a very minor language barrier, even though I must say you have a beautiful command of the English language. In this case, the difficulty has to do with you not understanding our use of American idiom or slang.

The slang term "fanboy" is usually used to kind of make fun of guys who have an unnatural attachment to, or obsession with, something - like a certain brand of products - and who are vigorously loyal to and defensive about it, and who kind of make spectacles of themselves through their adoration of these things. Like somebody might be an Apple computer fanboy or something. I think we American guys tend to imagine you ladies as being more mature and above this kind of silly behavior--whether or not that's actually the case--so we typically say fanboy rather than fangirl. :tongue:

Anyway, so I think Tom, the creator of this thread was kind of comically teasing himself for being so blown away by Rinpoche and his teachings. He read Crystal and the Way of Light and maybe it made him feel like going to the top of a mountain and shouting to the world how amazing it was haha. So it was a good thing. So, I'm pretty sure he never seriously thought of this topic in terms of male and female, and it wasn't meant to exclude you ladies.
Dronma wrote:
Do you really want to discuss here about "my Dzogchen view"? :meditate: [/color]
I guess I was being a little sarcastic based on my perception of the type of advice you sometimes give others on this forum, advice that it seemed like you weren't following when you got a little bent out of shape in this thread. I mostly meant to tease you, but it was still a bit sarcastic, which is not so nice for me to do, especially since we're vajra siblings. So I'm sorry for being like that.
Dronma wrote:
Putting the question more specifically with the example: if somebody stab you in the back, is himself, his action and the result of his action in the state of rigpa? :jawdrop:

Well, rigpa is knowing the true nature of oneself and all phenomena... According to Dzogchen, all phenomena are the radiance the energy of the true nature. Experientially, if I'm able to be in that knowledge when something like you mentioned happens, then yes, it's all rigpa. If I'm not able, then I will have a point of view, so for me, conventionally, it will seem like samsara. But according to the way things truly are, in the words of the great Dzogchenpa Tsasum Lingpa--who, unlike me, actually realized this-- "samsara and nirvana are the same; one's perspective is the main difference."

Anyway, all that aside, sorry for being a little sarcastic toward you. :namaste:
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dronma wrote:Balls are not profound in Greek.... :tongue:
Τι λες ρε Dronma, στα Ελληνικα οταν λεμε οτι: "αυτος/αυτη εχει αρχιδια" δε ειναι θετικη δηλωση; Ενταξει τωρα, να συνδεουμε αρχιδια με τον Namkhai Norbu παει πολυ, αλλα τι περιμενεις απο μια ομαδα αγοριων (και κυριος Αμερικανακια); :smile: Καλοσωρισες στο DharmaWheel, εχεις να ακουσεις και να δεις ακομα... (εαν αντεξεις!)

Sorry for the Greek interlude people, back to profound topic of linking the name of a vidyadhara with male reproductive glands.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

This thread is obviously meant to be light-hearted.

For more serious discussion, we have a 40+ page thread here:

Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

not only light-hearted ... also profound as (what ever comes to your mind ... as anyway it is all mind)

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

You guys surely have a lot of time on your hands! :lol:
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Dronma wrote:Balls are not profound in Greek.... :tongue:
Τι λες ρε Dronma, στα Ελληνικα οταν λεμε οτι: "αυτος/αυτη εχει αρχιδια" δε ειναι θετικη δηλωση; Ενταξει τωρα, να συνδεουμε αρχιδια με τον Namkhai Norbu παει πολυ, αλλα τι περιμενεις απο μια ομαδα αγοριων (και κυριος Αμερικανακια); :smile: Καλοσωρισες στο DharmaWheel, εχεις να ακουσεις και να δεις ακομα... (εαν αντεξεις!)

Sorry for the Greek interlude people, back to profound topic of linking the name of a vidyadhara with male reproductive glands.
:namaste:

For your comment in Greek, I shall reply you with PM.
Last edited by Dronma on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Dronma wrote:
Firstly, does "fanboys" mean that the topic is addressed only to boys? Well, then you should write a sign "girls forbidden".... :stirthepot: [/color]
I think this question arises from a very minor language barrier, even though I must say you have a beautiful command of the English language. In this case, the difficulty has to do with you not understanding our use of American idiom or slang.

The slang term "fanboy" is usually used to kind of make fun of guys who have an unnatural attachment to, or obsession with, something - like a certain brand of products - and who are vigorously loyal to and defensive about it, and who kind of make spectacles of themselves through their adoration of these things. Like somebody might be an Apple computer fanboy or something. I think we American guys tend to imagine you ladies as being more mature and above this kind of silly behavior--whether or not that's actually the case--so we typically say fanboy rather than fangirl. :tongue:

Anyway, so I think Tom, the creator of this thread was kind of comically teasing himself for being so blown away by Rinpoche and his teachings. He read Crystal and the Way of Light and maybe it made him feel like going to the top of a mountain and shouting to the world how amazing it was haha. So it was a good thing. So, I'm pretty sure he never seriously thought of this topic in terms of male and female, and it wasn't meant to exclude you ladies.
Dronma wrote:
Do you really want to discuss here about "my Dzogchen view"? :meditate: [/color]
I guess I was being a little sarcastic based on my perception of the type of advice you sometimes give others on this forum, advice that it seemed like you weren't following when you got a little bent out of shape in this thread. I mostly meant to tease you, but it was still a bit sarcastic, which is not so nice for me to do, especially since we're vajra siblings. So I'm sorry for being like that.
Dronma wrote:

Well, rigpa is knowing the true nature of oneself and all phenomena... According to Dzogchen, all phenomena are the radiance the energy of the true nature. Experientially, if I'm able to be in that knowledge when something like you mentioned happens, then yes, it's all rigpa. If I'm not able, then I will have a point of view, so for me, conventionally, it will seem like samsara. But according to the way things truly are, in the words of the great Dzogchenpa Tsasum Lingpa--who, unlike me, actually realized this-- "samsara and nirvana are the same; one's perspective is the main difference."

Anyway, all that aside, sorry for being a little sarcastic toward you. :namaste:
Apologies accepted. Thank you!
As for the state of Rigpa, I prefer to keep silent and stop here. Since Rigpa is matter of realization and not of beautiful words which often are used from people for feeding their self-righteousness. :namaste:

Return to “Dzogchen”