YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Thai Abortion Laws - Dhamma Wheel

Thai Abortion Laws

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
clw_uk

Thai Abortion Laws

Postby clw_uk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Hello

Just read this article on abortion laws and Theravada Buddhism

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... m-thailand

Any thoughts?

My self I think abortion should be legal and people given the right to choose
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

KonstantKarma

Re: Thai Abortion Laws

Postby KonstantKarma » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Opening an abortion topic thread on a web forum is always going to end in disaster.

Personally, I'm not sure how followers of a mindful religion or philosophy would be able to stand by and not take an active stance against abortion.

Skillful practices would include not rushing to sex at the heat of the moment - waiting until contraceptives are handy, and getting pregnant only when prepared and ready. I can't imagine the horror, fear and agony of finding out I were going to be a parent. So I never did.

Skillfulness should be taught and practiced, not the violent practice of abortion.

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:53 pm

Well said KonstantKarma. Someone will of course raise the issue of rape and incest, but those issues need seperate and careful reflection.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:59 pm

In Thailand it doesn't really matter what's on the books...anything (with a capital A) goes...a person has to have some pretty thick skin not to be shaken by these two thousand babies being ripped from the womb and binned...just one in a long list of ills that indicates humanity is definitely circling the drain...looking at it from another perspective, they may have gotten off luckily...morbid thought that that is...

KonstantKarma

Postby KonstantKarma » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Namaste Sanghamitta and Appicchato...

I wasn't expecting agreement, honestly...

According to statistics (which of course aren't entirely accurate), 1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons. (Guttmacher Institute,"Induced Abortion Facts in Brief"). I agree those 7% would require more reflection. The other 93% is what's horrendous.

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Quite so. Who exercises the "right to choose" for the embryo ?
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:39 pm

It is a difficult issue, i used to be pro-life then pro-choice and now I cant decide atm

I would say thought shouldnt people be allowed to choose? I also dont think Buddha wanted the monks to be caught up in political affairds of a state
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

KonstantKarma

Postby KonstantKarma » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:32 pm

I started out pro-life because as an evangelistic Christian it was the moral highground, then too leaned pro-choice because I didn't feel it was the governments responsibility to determine our ethics and tell us we couldn't kill if we chose. At the moment, I am not terribly compassionate, and could still kill someone in cold blood if I felt justified. I'm working on that, because nurturing compassion is the buddhist thing to do. However, I've never found justification in killing innocents, especially the very old and very young.

I don't think people have the 'right' to choose whether their offpsring lives or dies. You as an adult wouldn't want me to have the right to put my '45 to your forehead and blow it apart on a whim, simply because I felt you were a burden on me or society and I didn't want you around.

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:52 pm

I think focussing on abortion as a moral issue is closing the gate after the horse is bolted.

Surely the real issue is the prevalence of people having unprotected sex when they don't want a baby, together with the very large sex industry in Thailand.

This is disappointing when a country is supposedly Buddhist but I don't think as Buddhists we have the right to try and impose Buddhist morality on those who aren't really interested.

It's all very well to say we shouldn't kill and abortion is killing, the reality of it is though these people made a mistake and what will be the consequences of making a another worse mistake and keeping the child. I think the anti abortion lobby is hypocritical, if they really believed what they say they'd offer to take care of the children.

If I were in the situation where I had to make a decision like this I would choose not to abort, that's my moral code and I don't impose it on others, however knowing that I'm wise enough never to have unprotected sex when I don't want children.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”