Guardians of the Teaching

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Guardians of the Teaching

Postby Stewart » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:15 pm

No, but I have heard that some of the deities in an Enlightened protectors retinue can 'take offence' if their Torma isn't offered.

To be honest, I took the Empowerments on advice of my Guru in order to support certain other practices he had given me. Otherwise I wouldn't have took the commitment lightly.
Last edited by Stewart on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
s.
Stewart

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:28 pm

This thread is like the samaya breaking party of the year!
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Anders » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 am

gregkavarnos wrote:This thread is like the samaya breaking party of the year!

I suppose there is always the safe option of calling on the name of Avalokiteshvara.

(s)he listens to most anyone. :smile:
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Anders

Postby Malcolm » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:17 am

gregkavarnos wrote:This thread is like the samaya breaking party of the year!

Talking about protectors breaks samaya?
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Stewart » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:33 am

What's the problem?
s.
Stewart

Postby asunthatneversets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:15 am

mint wrote:
samdrup wrote::smile:

To be honest, I never have so I don't know!...but I would do Tsok (ganapuja) to repair Samaya.

Oh, the way you said it, it sounded as if the empowerment came with some caveats. I wouldn't want you to break your samaya and be eaten by a guardian.

You can just do chod and get eaten by a guardian, you'd be a minty fresh treat for the black troma. Mint: the appetizer, main course and dessert. She's hungry
asunthatneversets

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:43 am

Calling on protectors (stating their name) without appeasing breaks samaya. Frivolous talk about protectors and their practices breaks samaya.
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:19 am

samdrup wrote:From my experience, when I was given protector Empowerements by my Guru (Mingyur Rinpoche), I was given a short daily Torma offering that I have to do everyday, for life.

I have done this daily for over 8 years, I feel it keeps my connection strong with my Guru and the Lineage.

That's usually the case with protector empowerments-- and the samaya is heavy, so they generally aren't given often and without discernment to western students unless they've proven themselves as quite serious. .
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby Adamantine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:30 am

asunthatneversets wrote:
mint wrote:So, there's no guardians who can aid the beginning student of Dzogchen? or, it's useless? or, it's too harmful?

asunthatneversets wrote:I was told not to mess with Ekajati, Rahula or Dorje Legpa by yourself unless you're a well assimilated practitioner. That calling on them in a group setting like a ganapuja or something is cool but by yourself is not a good idea. I've also been told that if you want to call upon wrathful protectors such as those i mentioned to help you in practice you WILL attain your goal, be it realization or whatever... but you'll lose touch with everyone in your life who isn't a dharma practitioner.

Why is it not a good idea? What ill effects have been noted of calling upon these guardians by one's self? If you've received the empowerment, isn't that technically a license to call upon the guardian yidams when going solo?

I couldn't even say why it isn't a good idea, i'm merely regurgitating what someone else has told me when it comes to the rules and regulations of deity yoga. So take my statements with a grain of salt and based on what others have said on here i'll probably re-evaluate my own notions of it as well. The only thing i can say is that my source has been a dharma practitioner for 50 years and he's highly knowledgeable, well-traveled and well-informed on most things when it comes to anu/atiyoga. But that doesn't validate what's said... and it may very well be a case of different traditions having different beliefs and opinions which may contrast each other like someone said above. Stick to what your sangha practices (which sounds like it's the same community i belong to, ChNN knows whats right).

I'd say if you want to go with a guardian to aid practice in the beginning (or at any time) use Padmasambhava(Guru Rinpoche). But really if you just dedicate the merit ('om dhare dhare bhandare svaha jaya...' etc..) at the end of practice, and be sure to keep the intention in mind that you're doing practice for the benefit of all sentient beings you're golden.

Well in the Dudjom Tersar the Dharmapala practices are generally treated with caution, not recommended for people to do on their own, or if on their own than not too-often, -if their practice isn't very stabilized already. So this aligns with what your friend has said. They are never to be treated lightly I would imagine, in any lineage. ChNN as usual does something unique by offering lung for the protectors to anyone that comes to retreats or open webcasts, etc. Although in a tun he doesn't instruct you to offer serkyem, with the other tantric substances, etc. so I assume it is functioning as more of establishing a Dzogchen connection with Dzogchen protectors than the general tantric approach with all the external offerings . Maybe someone else can offer more details. I've never read the Dzogchen Community booklet on the protectors but I probably should if it clarifies these things.
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby Adamantine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:38 am

gregkavarnos wrote: Frivolous talk about protectors and their practices breaks samaya.

Well, perhaps the jokes were frivolous, is that what you meant? For the most part, I think people were just trying to make sense of something in TB that is quite alien to our culture. It is natural, and better to try to understand then to live on in ignorance and then do something truly stupid.
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby alpha » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:53 am

what is the exact samaya with the protectors in DC?

Does receiving lung for the guradian practice makes it compulsory that one practices "calling upon their assistance" every day without fail?
If this doesnt happen does it mean that one has broken samaya?
AOM
alpha

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:58 am

Adamantine wrote: For the most part, I think people were just trying to make sense of something in TB that is quite alien to our culture. It is natural, and better to try to understand then to live on in ignorance and then do something truly stupid.
I agree 100% but these are not issues to be dealt with in a public forum but to be discussed directly with ones lama.
:namaste:
PS I have made similar mistakes in the past and others were kind enough to point them out to me, please do not feel that I am judging from "upon high".
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Sönam » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 am

Adamantine wrote:...
ChNN as usual does something unique by offering lung for the protectors to anyone that comes to retreats or open webcasts, etc. Although in a tun he doesn't instruct you to offer serkyem, with the other tantric substances, etc. so I assume it is functioning as more of establishing a Dzogchen connection with Dzogchen protectors than the general tantric approach with all the external offerings . Maybe someone else can offer more details. I've never read the Dzogchen Community booklet on the protectors but I probably should if it clarifies these things.

Nevertheless, when I've been told about protectors, I can remember that the instructor of the community did'nt want to pronounce any invocation (only showing it in the book) because he did'nt want to take the risk, as he did'nt prepare (condition) him self.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Postby Stewart » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:34 am

Morning Greg,

Since I didn't do either of these things: ie; Mention the protectors names or discuss the details of the practice I do, like Mantras, Visualizations etc or speak in a frivolous way regarding the Protectors, I'll assume your not referring to my posts.

I was in fact trying to stress that these are serious practices and should not be taken lightly.

s.

ps. I will add however, that I have never heard of the 'mentioning names' thing, it was made clear when I received Empowerment that my Samayas were to complete the Sadhana/Mantras everyday, and to not disclose the details of the practice to others.
Last edited by Stewart on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
s.
Stewart

Postby Malcolm » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:38 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:Calling on protectors (stating their name) without appeasing breaks samaya. Frivolous talk about protectors and their practices breaks samaya.

As I said, this all depends on the opinions of this or that Lama.

No one here is discussing the guardians frivolously.

The idea that saying the name "rahula" breaks samaya is quite ridiculous.

N
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Namdrol wrote:The idea that saying the name "rahula" breaks samaya is quite ridiculous.
You go with what your lama tells you, I'll go with what mine tells me.
If you believe it is quite okay and that it is valuable to plaster your protectors names all over a public board then go for it! I am not judging, I am merely recanting what I have been instructed.
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:43 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
Namdrol wrote:The idea that saying the name "rahula" breaks samaya is quite ridiculous.
If you believe it is quite okay and that it is valuable to plaster your protectors names all over a public board then go for it! I am not judging, I am merely recanting what I have been instructed.

I guess then we should all agree to mind our own samayas as we understand them and not try to mind others for them. It's hard enough to keep our own with out worrying about everyone elses!
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby Malcolm » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:20 am

gregkavarnos wrote:

It is so silly to make this argument considering that every name and picture of virtually every major protector has been spread far and wide on the internet.

Everyone knows knows that the ma-za-dam sum are the main protectors of Dzogchen. This is not a big secret.

N
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Sherab Dorje » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:10 am

Namdrol wrote:It is so silly to make this argument considering that every name and picture of virtually every major protector has been spread far and wide on the internet.
Yes I agree, unfortunately this is very true, but we can be part of the problem or part of the solution. ;)

Everyone knows knows that the ma-za-dam sum are the main protectors of Dzogchen. This is not a big secret.
Well, I wouldn't say EVERYONE. But now that you said it...
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Malcolm » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:33 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
Namdrol wrote:It is so silly to make this argument considering that every name and picture of virtually every major protector has been spread far and wide on the internet.
Yes I agree, unfortunately this is very true, but we can be part of the problem or part of the solution. ;)

Take it up with Rigpa Wiki:
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Ekajati
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Dza_Rahula
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Dorje_Lekpa
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

PreviousNext