Is receiving transmission via webcast a farce?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Is receiving transmission via webcast a farce?

Postby asunthatneversets » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:39 pm

Food_Eatah wrote:What is the difference between a "transmission" and watching a teaching?

Transmission is a direct experiential introduction to the nature of your mind... watching or listening to a teaching is understanding an intellectual description of whatever the teaching is on. There's different types of transmission (and some are symbolic using the intellect) the type norbu uses is a physical method that shows you the nature of your mind. That doesn't mean one will "get it" or understand what it's pointing to every time, depends on the capacity of the practitioner. Some see it right away the first time.. some need a few transmissions to assimilate it... and for some other routes like symbolic and intellectual understanding is better. No way is wrong or right, just depends on the person... like in every day learning some people like to "see" a graph or have instructions written out to understand something and some can just listen. Doesn't matter really... all roads lead to rome.
asunthatneversets

Postby TenzinDorje » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Since I currently have only ordinary perception, I have nothing to say about webcasts.

I my personal deluded experience, I respond better to a more structured environment and approach, as well as being in the same room at times with my Guru.

Just sayin... :smile:
TenzinDorje

Postby Mr. G » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:09 pm

As the OP's questions have been answered, this thread will be locked. The discussion is drifting into Dzogchen practices of ChNN, and we can discuss this further in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4052

or a separate thread on specific practices can be started.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Previous

Return to Dzogchen