Dilgo Khyentse on Dzogchen

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Dilgo Khyentse on Dzogchen

Postby mint » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Nangwa wrote:Dilgo Khyentse's teaching are far more valuable than Trungpa's if you ask me.

What is Dilgo Khyentse's best work concerning Dzogchen?
mint

Re: Dilgo Khyentse on Dzogchen

Postby Josef » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:36 pm

I would say Zurchungpa's Testament is the best place for you to start.
Josef

Postby Paul » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:41 pm

Nangwa wrote:Zurchungpa's Testament

BTW, this was originally available as a separate book, but is now also available in vol. 3 of the collected works: http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=21871

"Do not block your six senses; delight in them with joy and ease.
All that you take pleasure in will strengthen the awakened state.
With such a confidence, empowered by the regal state of natural mind,
The training now is simply this: lets your six senses be at ease and free." - Princess Parani
Paul

Postby heart » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:42 am

Paul wrote:
Nangwa wrote:Zurchungpa's Testament

BTW, this was originally available as a separate book, but is now also available in vol. 3 of the collected works: http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=21871

Yes, that volume also contain a teaching on the testament of Garab Dorje that previously was restricted, "Primordial Purity".

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby mint » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:01 pm

It sounds like Vol. 3 is thematically arranged to include most texts dealing with Tantra/Dzogchen, yes?

For someone taking DT from ChNNR, could Dilgo Khyentse's books be read immediately after and still reap similar benefits as reading ChNNR's books on the subject? Not that I never plan on reading ChNNR's books, but I'm trying to prioritize.

There's also some others I'm looking at:
Self-Liberation through Seeing with Naked Awareness with commentary by John Mrydhin Reynolds
Natural Liberation: Padmasambhava's Teachings on the Six Bardos with commentary by Gyatrul Rinpoche
mint

Postby Josef » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 pm

mint wrote:It sounds like Vol. 3 is thematically arranged to include most texts dealing with Tantra/Dzogchen, yes?

For someone taking DT from ChNNR, could Dilgo Khyentse's books be read immediately after and still reap similar benefits as reading ChNNR's books on the subject? Not that I never plan on reading ChNNR's books, but I'm trying to prioritize.

There's also some others I'm looking at:
Self-Liberation through Seeing with Naked Awareness with commentary by John Mrydhin Reynolds
Natural Liberation: Padmasambhava's Teachings on the Six Bardos with commentary by Gyatrul Rinpoche

DKR's books would be great to read before or after your DT.

I would wait on the other two books. The Gyatrul Rinpoche translation and commentary is interesting but in my opinion not all that useful when one is just getting started. Same goes for Self-Liberation Through Seeing.
You might just find them confusing and a bit frustrating without the foundation being built first.
Josef

Postby Clarence » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:22 pm

You can get Zurchungpa's Testament from Buddhisttorrents.
Clarence

Postby Josef » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Clarence wrote:You can get Zurchungpa's Testament from Buddhisttorrents.

Buddhist Torrents is a very slippery site. Those books are under copyright and are basically being stolen when uploaded and downloaded.
Ones karma is better protected by purchasing the books.
Josef

Postby Clarence » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Nangwa wrote:Buddhist Torrents is a very slippery site. Those books are under copyright and are basically being stolen when uploaded and downloaded.

I kind of agree.
Clarence

Postby arsent » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:19 am

One can find it on Amazon in paper and Kindle versions.
arsent

Postby Pero » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Nangwa wrote:
Clarence wrote:You can get Zurchungpa's Testament from Buddhisttorrents.

Buddhist Torrents is a very slippery site. Those books are under copyright and are basically being stolen when uploaded and downloaded.

I think it's good if you want to check books out. Then if you like them, buy them. And, I also like downloading books I have already bought. I actually bought the paper version of Zurchungpa's Testament first and then when when it became available downloaded the pdf version. I like to have PDF versions of books because they're much easier to search through (if they're OCR'd).

edit: Zurchungpa's Testament and Primordial Purity are both excellent.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Return to Dzogchen