How Many Transmissions?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

How Many Transmissions?

Postby wisdom » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:00 am

How many transmissions can a Dzogchen student receive?
Should one strive to receive transmission from as many Gurus as possible when the opportunity arises?
Also assuming that you receive transmission from a Guru who is very busy and travels, how does one know when/how to progress with teachings when the teacher might be practically inaccessible due to traveling and having hundreds or thousands of students?
wisdom

Re: How Many Transmissions?

Postby heart » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:04 am

wisdom wrote:How many transmissions can a Dzogchen student receive?
Should one strive to receive transmission from as many Gurus as possible when the opportunity arises?
Also assuming that you receive transmission from a Guru who is very busy and travels, how does one know when/how to progress with teachings when the teacher might be practically inaccessible due to traveling and having hundreds or thousands of students?

1. Many
2. Not necessary.
3. That is the situation with most Dzogchen teachers visiting the west. You use whatever means you can and follow the instructions you have received. Don't expect being treated like a very close disciple, in fact don't expect anything just do the best you can from every situation.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Sönam » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:26 am

heart wrote:
wisdom wrote:...

3. That is the situation with most Dzogchen teachers visiting the west. You use whatever means you can and follow the instructions you have received. Don't expect being treated like a very close disciple, in fact don't expect anything just do the best you can from every situation.

/magnus

also practicing Guru Yoga, the buddha inside may tell you what to do ... if you trust him.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Sönam

Postby Malcolm » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:55 pm

wisdom wrote:How many transmissions can a Dzogchen student receive?

Limitless.

That depends on you. I have received teachings from perhaps forty gurus. Most of them Nyingma. I received Dzogchen transmission from seven of them. Three of them I am close to and have received may transmissions from. One is my primary root guru, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu, though in reality for me they are all Vajrasattva, but in the end, I am a Dzogchen Community person.
Rely on your vajra brothers and sisters. They will help you.

N
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby wisdom » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks everyone! I am taking transmission on the 20th from ChNN. I'll also be meeting some local students this weekend for an explanation.
wisdom

Postby Pero » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:54 pm

wisdom wrote:Thanks everyone! I am taking transmission on the 20th from ChNN. I'll also be meeting some local students this weekend for an explanation.

:twothumbsup:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Return to Dzogchen