Could you recommend some books?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Could you recommend some books?

Postby mint » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:47 pm

I've just finished reading The Crystal and The Way of Light, The Supreme Source and The Cycle of Day and Night, all by Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. I've also read Primordial Experience by Manjusrimita. Where should I go next in my studies?
mint

Re: Could you recommend some books?

Postby Paul » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:44 pm

I think the books from Rangjung Yeshe Publications are all excellent. "As It Is" (both volumes) by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche are fantastic. Tsoknyi Rinpoche's books are great, especially "Ground, Path and Fruition" - but that's restricted to those that have had pointing out instructions. "Treasures from Juniper Ridge" is an excellent, excellent book that has some good descriptions of progress in Dzogchen meditation. "Quintessential Dzogchen" is a great compilation.

If you're going to get any book get "Vivid Awareness" by Thrangu Rinpoche. It is a book I've become obsessed by. Khenpo Gangshar was clearly a very, very special person.
This nature of mind is spontaneously present.
That spontaneity I was told is the dakini aspect.
Recognizing this should help me
Not to be stuck with fear of being sued.

-Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
Paul

Postby mint » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm sort of interested in Natural Perfection: Longchenpa's Radical Dzogchen by Longchen Rabjam and Rainbow Painting: A Collection of Miscellaneous Aspects of Development and Completion by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche because I like the titles and the cover looks nice. :lol:

Are these books advised? Are they difficult to understand? Do they require a person have a more thorough knowledge of Dzogchen?
mint

Postby Paul » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Anything by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche should be considered mandatory reading when it comes to Dzogchen. He was one of the most realised masters of the last century.

As for "Natural Perfection" I'm not that keen on Keith Dowman as a translator. It might be a bit confusing unless you know what he's trying to translate.

Paul

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Hayagriva wrote:As for "Natural Perfection" I'm not that keen on Keith Dowman as a translator. It might be a bit confusing unless you know what he's trying to translate.

I also run into that problem I wish he would just translate and not let himself get all creative. A lot of very specific information seems to get all mushed together in his translations.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Silent Bob » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:30 pm

You've been given some excellent recommendations here, including the caution about Keith Dowman's translations, certainly enough to keep you occupied for quite some time. Offhand, I'd also suggest a pair of books by Tsoknyi Rinpoche, another of Tulku Urgyen's brilliant sons--"Carefree Dignity" and "Fearless Simplicity". Both of these were compiled from talks he's given and capture the flavor of his engaging teaching style.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Silent Bob

Postby mint » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Is the Tibetan Book of the Dead essential reading for understanding Dzogchen?
mint

Postby Paul » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:49 pm

mint wrote:Is the Tibetan Book of the Dead essential reading for understanding Dzogchen?

Nope, but it's interesting and the new translations good.

Paul

Postby gnegirl » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:04 pm

to OP:

Book i like: Buddhahood w/o Meditation., its even better if you get the lung for it.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
gnegirl

Postby mint » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:21 pm

I think the next Dzogchen books I will get are the terma teachings by Padmasambhava:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/086171 ... PDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Juniper ... gy_b_img_c

:thumbsup:
mint

Return to Dzogchen