James Low & Simply Being

booker

Re: James Low & Simply Being

Post by booker »

kalden yungdrung wrote:
If Rigpa is encompassing everything it can also be aware of illusion.
If Rigpa is everything it can also be illusion.
If Rigpa is everything it can also be dualistic etc
Are you sure of this? I think there is a great deal in the teachings where one suppose to have a clear understanding what is Rigpa and what is the ordinary moving mind, and reach the point of no doubt about it. If Rigpa can be dualistic and illusion then it's not Rigpa, it's Marigpa, right?
kalden yungdrung wrote: How it did happen in the time without time? This is finally not so important, more important is the way back home. :applause:
Agree :)
"Be Buddhist or be Buddha"
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

booker wrote:
Sönam wrote:
booker wrote:Hm I think the problem is how is that Primordial Wisdom is obscured in the first place (what gives a rise to sentient beings like us).
may by not (re) cognizing ... that's why there is innate ignorance.

Sönam
Yes, but I guess this boils down to the fact, that since it's a self-aware wisdom, how come the ignorance could possibly happen.
Well, there is one really good reason -- there is no such thing as a "self-aware wisdom" -- it's a translation botch.

so sor rang gyis rig pa'i ye she is the translation of a common term in Mahāyāna Buddhism namely, "pratyatmyavedanajñāna" which means "personally (pratyatmya) intuited (vedana) gnosis (jñāna)" or in simpler terms "wisdom that one knows personally", wisdom that one personally experiences, and so on.

Therefore, contradiction solved.

N
booker

Post by booker »

Cheers Namdrol :)
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

booker wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:
If Rigpa is encompassing everything it can also be aware of illusion.
If Rigpa is everything it can also be illusion.
If Rigpa is everything it can also be dualistic etc
Are you sure of this? I think there is a great deal in the teachings where one suppose to have a clear understanding what is Rigpa and what is the ordinary moving mind, and reach the point of no doubt about it. If Rigpa can be dualistic and illusion then it's not Rigpa, it's Marigpa, right?
{quote]

Tashi delek,

EVERYTHING comes out of the Natural State
Abides for a while
and dissolves back into the Natural State

Furhter is this (can this be ) explained as:
Ma (Mother), Bu (Son) and Tsal (Energy)

In Nyingma:
Ngo (essence)
Rang bzhin (Nature)
rThugs rje (Energy

Mutsog Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
booker

Post by booker »

Hold on a minute :)

Natural State unrecognised is a base for Samsara.
Natural State recognised is a base for Nirvana.

Right?

If Rigpa can be also dualistic and ilussion it would be also a base for Samsara, but it's not. Right? Marigpa is a base of Samsara, and is never a base of Nirvana. And Rigpa is never base of Samsara, is only for Nirvana. So Rigpa can not be dualistic and illusion. Margipa is.

Right?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

booker wrote:Hold on a minute :)

Right?

If Rigpa can be also dualistic and ilussion it would be also a base for Samsara, but it's not. Right? Marigpa is a base of Samsara, and is never a base of Nirvana. And Rigpa is never base of Samsara, is only for Nirvana. So Rigpa can not be dualistic and illusion. Margipa is.

Right?

Natural state is not rigpa. Rigpa is one's knowledge, or recognition, of the natural state.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Right?

KY wrote:
Samsara and Nirvana are not two or dualistic seen in the Natural State
The base of everything is the Mother / Ma together with Bu and Tsal
Nirvana is only a name to indicate that there is something more than Samsara

Right?

KY wrote:
Everything is clear and pure and not dualistic of origen. The dualism is a mistake / error. So the ünseen"source is always Rigpa but covered by Ma rigpa.
So Rigpa covers Ma rigpa but the one in Ma rigpa does not see/ is aware of Rigpa whereas all is Rigpa. Further are Samsara and Nirvana one and not two.
Rigpa or the Mother is that where all comes out and like Namdrol did explained, when i am right the Rigpa has inside a not-recognizing factor which is inherent present because the base has all there is. I hope to have understood the meaning of Namdrol and i can agree to that because it is also a part of Bon Dzogchen.

Last edited by kalden yungdrung on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best meditation is no meditation
booker

Post by booker »

Namdrol wrote:

Right?

Right?

Natural state is not rigpa. Rigpa is one's knowledge, or recognition, of the natural state.
Yes.

So there can't be one has Rigpa which is dualistic and illusion, right? Otherwise this doesn't make any sense.

To rephrase:

Natural State unrecognised is Ma rigpa and is a base for Samsara.
Natural State recognised is Rigpa and is a base for Nirvana.

And can't be otherwise, right?

Or do I get that wrong?
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Conventionally you're right. But ultimately in rigpa there's no rigpa or marigpa, just emptiness=display.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

booker wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Right?

Right?

Yes.

So there can't be one has Rigpa which is dualistic and illusion, right? Otherwise this doesn't make any sense.

To rephrase:

Natural State unrecognised is Ma rigpa and is a base for Samsara.
Natural State recognised is Rigpa and is a base for Nirvana.

And can't be otherwise, right?

Or do I get that wrong?
How about: the recognition of the natural state is rigpa, the basis for nirvana -- just a slight tweak.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Namdrol wrote:Natural state is not rigpa. Rigpa is one's knowledge, or recognition, of the natural state.
That makes sense. :twothumbsup:
There is a problem then with the use of the word.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Last edited by Martijn on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Martijn wrote:
How can remembrance be forgotten? by Atmananda Krishna Menon
Every thought merges into Consciousness and remains not as thought, but as Consciousness, pure. So your searching in that Consciousness for the resurrection of any thought, merged therein, is in vain. It can only result in your first forgetting your real nature of pure Consciousness, and in the subsequent creation of an entirely new thought, as though experienced some time earlier.

[
This is Advaita, not Dzogchen.
booker

Post by booker »

Namdrol wrote:
booker wrote: Natural State recognised is Rigpa and is a base for Nirvana.
How about: the recognition of the natural state is rigpa, the basis for nirvana -- just a slight tweak.
No prob.

Is there a difference in meaning of these two statements?
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

booker wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
booker wrote: Natural State recognised is Rigpa and is a base for Nirvana.
No prob.

Is there a difference in meaning of these two statements?
Yes, although it's subtle and easy to miss. Your statement technically is saying that the natural state, having been correctly recognized, is rigpa, whereas Namdrol's is more precisely saying that it is actually the recognition or knowledge itself which is referred to as rigpa.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:[
Yes, although it's subtle and easy to miss. Your statement technically is saying that the natural state, having been correctly recognized, is rigpa, whereas Namdrol's is more precisely saying that it is actually the recognition or knowledge itself which is referred to as rigpa.
At the moment of recognition, is there a difference between the two?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Clarence wrote:
Pema Rigdzin wrote:[
At the moment of recognition, is there a difference between the two?
Yes. Mostly because you can become distracted, and that is ignorance.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Namdrol wrote: Yes. Mostly because you can become distracted, and that is ignorance.
I think I start to understand. I am quite the same as some others here. When I look, nothing is found. Resting in that, thoughts come up. Then it is gone, until I remember.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Clarence wrote:
Namdrol wrote: Yes. Mostly because you can become distracted, and that is ignorance.
I think I start to understand. I am quite the same as some others here. When I look, nothing is found. Resting in that, thoughts come up. Then it is gone, until I remember.
Rigpa is something that one slowly develops over time, until one has complete confidence in the meaning of the teachings.

The term rigpa is used in different ways in Dzogchen teachings, so one has to be very specific. It does not have univerally applied meaning like "consciousness" for example. This is because Rig is both a noun and a verb in Tibetan, depending on the word ending.

N
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Namdrol wrote: Rigpa is something that one slowly develops over time, until one has complete confidence in the meaning of the teachings.

The term rigpa is used in different ways in Dzogchen teachings, so one has to be very specific. It does not have univerally applied meaning like "consciousness" for example. This is because Rig is both a noun and a verb in Tibetan, depending on the word ending.

N
Aha, I see. That actually makes sense if Rigpa is the knowledge of the recognition of the Natural State. You can develop knowledge. Even with thoughts racing, one can remain in the knowledge. Do I understand that right?

This is where MM and DC make a difference between Rigpa and the Natural State.

Thanks once again, C

Return to “Dzogchen”