lerab lingpa's commentary on chetsun Nyingthig

mingweicello

lerab lingpa's commentary on chetsun Nyingthig

Post by mingweicello »

hi everyone. I just received an 7 days teachings on chetsun nyingthig from my lama. he gave the teachings based on Jamgon Kongtrul's commentary. after the sessions, he told me the best and most comprehensive commentary on the main parts of chetsun Nyingthig was actually written by lerab lingpa instead of Kongtrul. Since I don't read tibetan, I just wondering has the commentary by lerab lingpa already been translated in any other languages? if so is that possible to get one? thank you very much!
mutsuk

Re: lerab lingpa's commentary on chetsun Nyingthig

Post by mutsuk »

The Vital Essence of Primordial Consciousness, translated by A. Wallace in Open Mind. Quite good in my opinion, very fluid.
mingweicello

Post by mingweicello »

thank you! do you know where can I get the copy?
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

mingweicello wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:41 pm thank you! do you know where can I get the copy?
Where are you based? Open Mind by B. Alan Wallace is on Amazon
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

It is indeed on Amazon. You can get it there :

https://www.amazon.com/Open-Mind-Medita ... 71&sr=8-2
The book also has a series of several other shorter works which are really interesting.
Pero

Post by Pero »

mutsuk wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:58 pm It is indeed on Amazon. You can get it there :

The book also has a series of several other shorter works which are really interesting.
There's a pretty damning review there though. Next to not having transmission for this (although got the lung for Kongtrul's since) and having too many books I haven't read yet, it was why I didn't get this book so far.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Pero wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:14 pm
mutsuk wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:58 pm It is indeed on Amazon. You can get it there :

There's a pretty damning review there though. Next to not having transmission for this (although got the lung for Kongtrul's since) and having too many books I haven't read yet, it was why I didn't get this book so far.
Yes a very bad review. I have the book and I found the text strange. I prefer Richard Barron's translation.

(magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Well he certainly seems to have a grudge towards alan lol. Aversion is a bitch
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

heart wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:41 pm I prefer Richard Barron's translation.
What's the title? And where was it published?
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Ok, I found it. It's The Sphere of Timeless Awareness, published by Turquoise Dragon, 1999, 105pp.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Just by comparing the first paragraph of the original tibetan text, it appears Wallace is closer to the meaning and structure, while Barron renders only the meaning. It should start as something like : "From among the infinite, vast and profound religious precepts of the three Series of Mind, Expanse, and Precepts of the Great Perfection Clear-Light, that the great master Vimalamitra has mastered in his mind (i.e., committed to memory), the king of all precepts...etc."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mutsuk wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:10 pm while Barron renders only the meaning.
sort of...
mingweicello

Post by mingweicello »

heart wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:41 pm

Yes a very bad review. I have the book and I found the text strange. I prefer Richard Barron's translation.

(magnus
haha yes.I read the review, it almost imply that alan break samayas. but I will get it anyway. I have an transcribed oral teachings by the late H.H. Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok based on lerab lingpa's commentary in Chinese, though incomplete, it is worth to compare the two.
Passing By

Post by Passing By »

mingweicello wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:22 am
heart wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:41 pm

(magnus
haha yes.I read the review, it almost imply that alan break samayas. but I will get it anyway. I have an transcribed oral teachings by the late H.H. Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok based on lerab lingpa's commentary in Chinese, though incomplete, it is worth to compare the two.

What's Chetsun Nyingthik in Chinese?
Danny

Post by Danny »

The Lamentation of Rudra

Would be interested to know a little about this. Nothing specific, just in general.

Thanks
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Danny wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:09 pm The Lamentation of Rudra

Would be interested to know a little about this. Nothing specific, just in general.

Thanks
It is a chapter from the Stainless Confession Tantra. The Inexpressible confession chapter is more profound, however.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:12 pm

Thanks
It is a chapter from the Stainless Confession Tantra. The Inexpressible confession chapter is more profound, however.
Thanks bro. I’ll look into it.
So I’m guessing that would be an inserted aspect of a “ngondro” for the Chetsun? Like a purification.
Shower of blessings type of thing?
Danny

Post by Danny »

This is actually a very nice thread. It’s opened my eyes to some interesting connections.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Danny wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:32 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:12 pm

Thanks
Thanks bro. I’ll look into it.
So I’m guessing that would be an inserted aspect of a “ngondro” for the Chetsun? Like a purification.
Shower of blessings type of thing?
it is often recited following Vajrasattva practice, or is inserted in the confession part of the Ganapuja in many Nyingma sadhanas.

Return to “Dzogchen”