Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Dronma

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Dronma »

pensum wrote: however, unfortunately Nook is apparently not compatible with Shangshung ebooks. I wrote to them which led to them detailing compatibilities on their site (see http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... w&p=ebooks). i also received a very detailed and considerate reply. overall, though disappointed in the approach they have opted to take in regard to locking ebooks which i personally feel is flawed (for example not being able to print a copy for personal use),
I think that printing the ebook in a personal printer costs much more than buying directly from SSI the paper format of the same book. Not to mention the quality of the printing... ;)
pensum wrote: i am sympathetic to their concerns and impressed by their intentions as well as their openness to dialogue.

Of course, we are all in the same community which in fact is the Mandala of ChNN. We must help and respect each other. :smile:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
pensum

Post by pensum »

Dronma wrote:
pensum wrote: however, unfortunately Nook is apparently not compatible with Shangshung ebooks. I wrote to them which led to them detailing compatibilities on their site (see http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... w&p=ebooks). i also received a very detailed and considerate reply. overall, though disappointed in the approach they have opted to take in regard to locking ebooks which i personally feel is flawed (for example not being able to print a copy for personal use),
I think that printing the ebook in a personal printer costs much more than buying directly from SSI the paper format of the same book. Not to mention the quality of the printing... ;)

however the financial cost of shipping, man hours and the overall carbon footprint, not to mention the time it takes for delivery, make purchasing the printed version the less attractive option, especially when one may only want to print the practices themselves for easy reference.

anyway, i was merely sharing information for those who might be considering purchasing the electronic version, so that they can make an informed decision.
Josef

Post by Josef »

I have no problem with reading it on my macbook.
But then again I find the whole ereader phenomenon to be completely useless if you have a macbook.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Does anyone have a good idea of which Ganapuja will be after the Transmission tonight? The Short, Medium, Long, or the Short Ganapuja of Jigme Lingpa? I'd like to follow along with the correct text. Also, is a red wine and some barley bread (for example) and meat enough for Ganapuja?

By the way, if you are Receiving Direct Introduction for the first time, don't sweat not participating in the Ganapuja as I'm sure you don't need it to Receive the Transmission. Ganapuja is great for Purification and repairing any possible broken Samaya though. Which I probably didn't need to mention as it was likely mentioned in the explanation of the Worldwide Transmission.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I've come to expect snags in the webcasts, so it didn't surprise me at all when Song of The Vajra turned into the same song that was playing on a loop prior to the webcast. However, I don't understand why the actual practice doesn't match the practice text for the transmission. I assume refuge is done silently but printed so you get the idea. However the last line of each Garab Dorge verse was repeated 3x rather than 2x as it's printed. Okay, no big deal, either. But, then, there were 7 As rather than 6. 6 is what's printed and what is explained in the explanation of the booklet. So, when A #7 comes around, I am wondering if I counted wrong and quickly realizing I didn't and then wondering what I'm supposed to be doing on this 7th one. Throws me in a nice state of confusion rather than calm prior to the transmission. Pretty sure this always is how he does it because I can recall being confused every time pretty much about what the order is. However this time, in the comfort of my own home, I prepared well in advance and knew what I was doing on each step. So, why? What is with the 7 As instead of 6 and what am I supposed to be doing on A #7?
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Josef

Post by Josef »

padma norbu wrote:I've come to expect snags in the webcasts, so it didn't surprise me at all when Song of The Vajra turned into the same song that was playing on a loop prior to the webcast. However, I don't understand why the actual practice doesn't match the practice text for the transmission. I assume refuge is done silently but printed so you get the idea. However the last line of each Garab Dorge verse was repeated 3x rather than 2x as it's printed. Okay, no big deal, either. But, then, there were 7 As rather than 6. 6 is what's printed and what is explained in the explanation of the booklet. So, when A #7 comes around, I am wondering if I counted wrong and quickly realizing I didn't and then wondering what I'm supposed to be doing on this 7th one. Throws me in a nice state of confusion rather than calm prior to the transmission. Pretty sure this always is how he does it because I can recall being confused every time pretty much about what the order is. However this time, in the comfort of my own home, I prepared well in advance and knew what I was doing on each step. So, why? What is with the 7 As instead of 6 and what am I supposed to be doing on A #7?
Next time try not to count.

In the years that I have been doing this with many different sanghas I can count on one hand the number of times I have seem translations or texts of practices that are perfect. It's challenging, especially when it is done quickly and for free.

I understand wanting to get everything right, but, the important thing is to share in the experience with the teacher, not the text.

On another note:

Does anyone know if the Invocation of Garab Dorje is written by Rinpoche?
It's an absolutely amazing and profound invocation in my opinion.
Last edited by Josef on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Nangwa wrote:
padma norbu wrote:I've come to expect snags in the webcasts, so it didn't surprise me at all when Song of The Vajra turned into the same song that was playing on a loop prior to the webcast. However, I don't understand why the actual practice doesn't match the practice text for the transmission. I assume refuge is done silently but printed so you get the idea. However the last line of each Garab Dorge verse was repeated 3x rather than 2x as it's printed. Okay, no big deal, either. But, then, there were 7 As rather than 6. 6 is what's printed and what is explained in the explanation of the booklet. So, when A #7 comes around, I am wondering if I counted wrong and quickly realizing I didn't and then wondering what I'm supposed to be doing on this 7th one. Throws me in a nice state of confusion rather than calm prior to the transmission. Pretty sure this always is how he does it because I can recall being confused every time pretty much about what the order is. However this time, in the comfort of my own home, I prepared well in advance and knew what I was doing on each step. So, why? What is with the 7 As instead of 6 and what am I supposed to be doing on A #7?
Haha, funny. I did. It was 7. Next time try to count. EDIT: Whoops, sorry I read your comment wrong. There is a stage for each A and I want to do it correctly, not just "my best' and oh well if I eff it up.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Josef

Post by Josef »

padma norbu wrote:
Haha, funny. I did. It was 7. Next time try to count. EDIT: Whoops, sorry I read your comment wrong. There is a stage for each A and I want to do it correctly, not just "my best' and oh well if I eff it up.[/quote]

:smile:
No worries.
I added more to the post as well.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Ah forget it. Moderator, please delete last comments. I'm never commenting on these things again.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

I only remember 6 A's, personally... In any case, I can understand your frustration, but maybe in those moments of confusion and frustration, if you don't know what you should be doing, maybe observe yourself and ask "who is having this confusion/frustration/etc?" and see what you notice. And then relax... Above all, curve balls or not, you need to relax. You're not very likely to get very far until you learn to relax and be open, come what may. And even when you think you're already relaxed, if you observe yourself a little, you may notice there's still some unnoticed tension... Or some subtle tension may creep back in even after you've relaxed. Relaxation really is key.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Nangwa wrote:
It really is very special. I'd love to know whether Rinpoche wrote it too.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

padma norbu wrote: Haha, funny. I did. It was 7. Next time try to count.

My count gave me exactly 6 A!!! :D
I did not really count by numbers, but I was doing the visualization step by step and everything was in order.
The video connection was crawling with little interruptions...
And yes, that music suddenly in the middle of the Song of Vajra!? !? :rolling:
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Dronma wrote: And yes, that music suddenly in the middle of the Song of Vajra!? !? :rolling: [/color]
:lol:
krodha

Post by krodha »

I counted 6 A's too... That music was wild that popped up, everyone was laughing
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Guess it's possible my transmission stuttered. I read the steps carefully and double-checked once more just before to make sure I had it down. As with the 3 verses prior, I found myself sitting there waiting when all of a sudden another round started up. This sort of thing in general seems to happen a lot at webcasts. Oh well, like I said, I'm never going to bother to comment on this sort of thing again as I realize there is absolutely no point. What could be resolved by any discussion that did not directly involve Namkhai Norbu himself who could explain why he does something different? I've been in the group settings before when all of a sudden, the organizing older students look confused and start flipping pages furiously and everything goes quiet for a while and they explain afterward that he threw something else in there or skipped something. Whatever, no point thinking about it.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Nangwa wrote:Does anyone know if the Invocation of Garab Dorje is written by Rinpoche?
I don't know what you mean, it's his terma.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Josef

Post by Josef »

Pero wrote:
Nangwa wrote:Does anyone know if the Invocation of Garab Dorje is written by Rinpoche?
You answered my question.
I just wanted to know if it was his or someone elses.
thanks
Pero

Post by Pero »

Nangwa wrote:
Pero wrote:
You answered my question.
I just wanted to know if it was his or someone elses.
thanks
Oh haha. Yeah, I wasn't sure because he wrote it but then he didn't haha.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Josef

Post by Josef »

Does anyone know if there is going to be a Mandarava book that is built like the Book of Tun?

It would be outstanding if we could get a similar printing but with the short, middle, and complete Mandarava practices with mudras and visualizations in the same style as the Book of Tun and Ganapuja.

I want it!
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

padma norbu wrote: I've just received transmission a bunch of times over the years and each year that goes by I understand things I can't put into words more and more. However, like one of the tales of the 84 Mahasiddhas I relate to, I am a bad and forgetful student. To prove the point, I forget which Mahasiddha it was exactly, but it made me feel good that there was one who actually said he forgets every damn thing he ever learns and so he was given an appropriate sadhana for his condition and he went on to achieve the "dakini's paradise." That's me in a nutshell.
Padma norbu, I think you judge yourself very strictly.
None is "perfect"! And this is normal and makes our existence interesting! ;)
I like very much your sincerity, which shows no fear and no strong ego-clinging. These are precious qualities for any dedicated practitioner! :smile:

Return to “Dzogchen”