Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

HandsomeMonkeyking

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by HandsomeMonkeyking »

When searching for groups near me I found this group. I wanted to start a new thread but then found this one. Please excuse that I read only some and not all of the 187 pages in this thread :-)

From what I saw online it seems that they do a lot of Yantra Yoga and Varja dance, which I only know since reading the description.
Both are very new things to me and I am curious, is this the main practise? Is it needed to do this?
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

They are secondary practices.

Take a look here for some discussion of the "main practices."

http://melong.com/?p=13
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

HandsomeMonkeyking wrote:When searching for groups near me I found this group. I wanted to start a new thread but then found this one. Please excuse that I read only some and not all of the 187 pages in this thread :-)

From what I saw online it seems that they do a lot of Yantra Yoga and Varja dance, which I only know since reading the description.
Both are very new things to me and I am curious, is this the main practice? Is it needed to do this?
(Note: for Monkey Kings: the peach garden of ChNNR is inexhaustible.)

It is not necessary to do either YY or VD to follow ChNNR. I've tried both and found them interesting, and helpful, but not necessary.

Perhaps YY is an adaptation of the enlightened Tsa Lung exercises, as taught by ChNNR, as seen through the dimension of some of ChNNR's students who have a strong hatha yoga dimension. For practitioners who have a strong hatha yoga dimension, they may find YY to be a very effective and ideal way to learn the breathing techniques, physical exercises and special techniques of tsa lung. Perhaps you can try this out at a retreat and see if it works for you. There are also many books and DVDs available.

Vajra Dance is an enlightened teaching of ChNNR whose principle is integration with movement. For those who follow this practice, this practice is a very strong support for integration with movement. One drawback is the requirement to have access to a Vajra Dance mandala. This limits many people who want to follow this practice. Still, you can try this out at a retreat and see if it works for you. The mandala is not so hard to construct and the construction is a practice in itself.

There are many secondary practices. if you do an "advanced search" with both of the words of "secondary practices" required, you will find many postings on this subject, and among them:

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... es#p165748

:heart:
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

oldbob wrote:Perhaps YY is an adaptation of the enlightened Tsa Lung exercises, as taught by ChNNR, as seen through the dimension of some of ChNNR's students who have a strong hatha yoga dimension. For practitioners who have a strong hatha yoga dimension, they may find YY to be a very effective and ideal way to learn the breathing techniques, physical exercises and special techniques of tsa lung. Perhaps you can try this out at a retreat and see if it works for you. There are also many books and DVDs available.
Yantra is older than hatha as far as can be ascertained from texts; so technically it's hatha yogis who have a strong yantra yoga dimension. Additionally, as stated in the preface of the YY book:

"The yantra exercises, which engage all three aspects of body, voice and mind, comprise an exceptional means to enable relaxation. Consequently, they should not be deemed solely a secondary means for secret practices such as tummo".
"...by controlling the vajra body by means of physical movements... the natural balance of the mind facilitates the arising of profound contemplation."
"So, all those who are aware of the functions of the body, voice and mind that constitute the individual should be interested in this practice, regardless of whether or not they are already practitioners of Mantrayana. I believe this is really important".

So whilst yantra shouldn't be seen as a requirement, it shouldn't be downplayed either.
(Note: for Monkey Kings: the peach garden of ChNNR is inexhaustible.)
:twothumbsup:

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Ayu on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo on request.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
zrianc

Post by zrianc »

I am a Zen Buddhist but I also have been interested in Dzogchen for many years.
A few years ago (I don't remember exactly when) I watched one of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu web World Wide Transmission but I didn't feel or understood anything from it.
I did read a pdf file describing the transmission before and tried to follow the instructions as best as I could but it all felt as a meaningless ritual and I was expecting some teaching or some practice to be given after but it was just singing in a foreign language (I don't even know if it was Tibetan or Sanskrit) and that's all so I just returned to Zen after.
The pdf file didn't explain much, it was mostly just the texts of what he was saying and it required visualization of the Tibetan letter A, but since I can't do any kind of visualization I just looked at it.
It also spoke of purification practices to be done before but I don't know what are those so I just did some zazen before.
A few months later I tried again but this time the webcast site died in the middle of the transmission.
Now after reading a few more books about Dzogchen I am thinking of participating again in the next transmission on February 22 but I have some questions:

1)What exactly should I do before, during and after the next transmission?

2)Considering that I have already participated once does this mean that I have received direct introduction and am now allowed/empowered to practice Dzogchen even if I didn't understood anything?

3)I assume that after participating in a transmission there are some practices I should/could do, what are they and where can I find their detailed description?

I am sorry if I am asking questions that where probably asked before but this thread and this forum is pretty big so I can't read everything and even though I already have some idea about the answers to my questions I would like to be sure and that's why I am asking them.
I didn't send this by email to their official address because I am not sure if I want to begin seriously practicing Dzogchen mainly because I don't have faith in anything supernatural and in Zen that's ok but I assume that in Vajrayana/Dzogchen that's not ok.
But I am still curious and would like to have some direct experience of what Dzogchen is because just reading from books is not enough.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

There's no problem doing another WWT and following along as the pdf describes, however it sounds like you'd get more out of the regular broadcasts, where Rinpoche details what exactly Dzogchen is about and gives a less formalised direct introduction. The next general webcast is the Mandarava drubchen from Feb 9-22 which runs a bit differently from the normal teaching retreats, as everyday after a short teaching there's a somewhat lengthy practice, but the explanations on Dzogchen will still be there beforehand.

http://melong.com/?events_listing=spain ... -9-22-2016
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Kris

Post by Kris »

Mother's Lap wrote:There's no problem doing another WWT and following along as the pdf describes...

I actually found (for me) not following along with the PDF useful. Of course knowing what to recite visualize is important, but remaining open and receptive is more important.
Or maybe because I didn't follow the PDF the bija was extremely effective because I my mind did not expect such intense explosion.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Has anyone here done any personal retreat at Kunselling? [U.K]

If so,would you reccomend it as a retreat location and how does it compare to any others you've been too?

Still scouting around to find the best combination of open, spacious environment & overall cost of retreat.

Maybe wild-camping could be a cost-effective option. :thinking:
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I would recommend it..although it's some time since I was there and I think it's less spartan nowadays.

Whether that's a good thing is of course subjective. :smile:

It's quiet and in a ruggedly beautiful setting.
Vasana wrote:Has anyone here done any personal retreat at Kunselling? [U.K]

If so,would you reccomend it as a retreat location and how does it compare to any others you've been too?

Still scouting around to find the best combination of open, spacious environment & overall cost of retreat.

Maybe wild-camping could be a cost-effective option. :thinking:
Its rural Wales, so you need weatherproof clothes and footwear, whatever time of year
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Cool, cheers Simon. I work outdoors most of the time so outdoor wear shouldn't be an issue. Although it's nice to be warm and dry!

Going to have a word with a french buddy and see if he can help me find anything in France.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

I plan to recive transmition on the 22 feberuary. Are there some instructions before that?
heart

Post by heart »

TaTa wrote:I plan to recive transmition on the 22 feberuary. Are there some instructions before that?
Yes, you need this (there is also a book but maybe you don't get it in time) : http://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/en ... 00930.html
Best would be if you could talk with someone that know the procedur.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

TaTa wrote:I plan to recive transmition on the 22 feberuary. Are there some instructions before that?
There are sometimes Skype calls on how to be able to follow along correctly. You should also read the WWT pdfs on the webcast resources page if you haven't already.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

Question about mala use: I remember during one of my first visits to my local Ling, someone in the sangha mentioned that I should always roll the beads of the mala in counterclockwise faction, similar to how you would circumambulate a stupa. If you're doing a yidam practice with a mantra rotating clockwise, can you change the way you move your malabeads? I find it can be a little confusing for my visualization otherwise!
heart

Post by heart »

chimechodra wrote:Question about mala use: I remember during one of my first visits to my local Ling, someone in the sangha mentioned that I should always roll the beads of the mala in counterclockwise faction, similar to how you would circumambulate a stupa. If you're doing a yidam practice with a mantra rotating clockwise, can you change the way you move your malabeads? I find it can be a little confusing for my visualization otherwise!
You actually circumambulate a stupa clockwise, unless you are Bön. I been taught that you never pass over the Guru bead, you turn and go back again so that advice make no sense to me.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

heart wrote:
chimechodra wrote:Question about mala use: I remember during one of my first visits to my local Ling, someone in the sangha mentioned that I should always roll the beads of the mala in counterclockwise faction, similar to how you would circumambulate a stupa. If you're doing a yidam practice with a mantra rotating clockwise, can you change the way you move your malabeads? I find it can be a little confusing for my visualization otherwise!
You actually circumambulate a stupa clockwise, unless you are Bön. I been taught that you never pass over the Guru bead, you turn and go back again so that advice make no sense to me.

/magnus
Whoops, you're write about the direction! But this advice was more related into how the thumb moves around each of the individual beads, not over the course of the whole mala.

Regarding the guru bead, I remember reading in a separate discussion on Vajracakra that ChNN doesn't teach skipping over the bead, but I still flip my mala every time I come to the guru bead, it helps to keep me non-distracted!
heart

Post by heart »

chimechodra wrote: Whoops, you're write about the direction! But this advice was more related into how the thumb moves around each of the individual beads, not over the course of the whole mala.
:smile: I I have no idea how my thumb move...

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

TaTa

Post by TaTa »

heart wrote:
Yes, you need this (there is also a book but maybe you don't get it in time) : http://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/en ... 00930.html
Best would be if you could talk with someone that know the procedur.

/magnus
I dont have the time or resoruces to buy this at this moment. I live in a retret center with no internet and i wont be able to get online till sunday. I would very much apriciate if someone could help out via PM. I have recived in person direct introduction from him, it was a form of guruyoga involving garab dorje, i remember it well. If its the same i wont have any problem. Anyone can help?
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Anyone?
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Anyone? It would mean a lot!

Return to “Dzogchen”