Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Mr. G

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Mr. G »

Sherlock wrote:I couldn't type the action mantra of Dorje Drolod in time, can someone PM it to me?
You can download it from the files tab on the webcast page.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Did I mishear on the webcast today, or did Rinpoche mention there was a CD or DVD with the pronunciation of mantras for all the practices he gave teachings on in the past? I didn't see this in the bookstore. For example, I didn't see a CD or DVD for with the pronunciation for the two mantras of Avalokitesvara Korwa Tongtrug.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Josef

Post by Josef »

Mr. G wrote:Did I mishear on the webcast today, or did Rinpoche mention there was a CD or DVD with the pronunciation of mantras for all the practices he gave teachings on in the past? I didn't see this in the bookstore. For example, I didn't see a CD or DVD for with the pronunciation for the two mantras of Avalokitesvara Korwa Tongtrug.
You heard right Mr. G.
The impression I got was that it contains just about everything Rinpoche has transmitted with the exception of Drolo.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Hey all, I really want to learn how to do the Mandarava and chudlen practice. Can anyone provide a link to the most comprehensive resource for that in the SSI bookstore?

Also, I know there are medium and long versions of this sadhana available, but I remember Rinpoche saying something about a short, essential practice. Is there a practice text that includes all 3?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
MrDistracted

Post by MrDistracted »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Hey all, I really want to learn how to do the Mandarava and chudlen practice. Can anyone provide a link to the most comprehensive resource for that in the SSI bookstore?

Also, I know there are medium and long versions of this sadhana available, but I remember Rinpoche saying something about a short, essential practice. Is there a practice text that includes all 3?

Nice one.
Pema, if an answer to this comes to you via PM, please could you forward me the info aswell?
Thanks
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

MrDistracted wrote:
Pema Rigdzin wrote:Hey all, I really want to learn how to do the Mandarava and chudlen practice. Can anyone provide a link to the most comprehensive resource for that in the SSI bookstore?

Nice one.
Pema, if an answer to this comes to you via PM, please could you forward me the info aswell?
Thanks
Funny! :rolling:
I am trying to learn Mandarava practice for years now and I am not still sure that I know much.... :tongue:
Well, Pema Rigdzin, if you are seriously interested, then you have to follow a course with a qualified instructor of Mandarava practice - there are only a few in the whole Dzogchen Community who are doing courses from time to time.
Or at least, you should ask for help from the Dzogchen Community Ling that exists in your area. :namaste:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I was going to ask about a condensed Mandarava practice as well. Please let us know.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

padma norbu wrote:I was going to ask about a condensed Mandarava practice as well. Please let us know.
It is not difficult to find the text of the practice. It is already in the "Restricted File Archive" area of the Webcast and you can download it for free:
http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webc ... ricted.php
There is also Mandarava Practice Audio and Video there.
Of course, you have first to be a member of Dzogchen Community and have a password! ;)
The difficult part comes when you have to learn the visualization, the melody, the tune of damaru and bell, the mudras... not to mention the chudlen, the breathing etc.
Then it is necessary a qualified instructor or better Rinpoche himself - if you have got the karma! :smile:
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

padma norbu wrote:I was going to ask about a condensed Mandarava practice as well. Please let us know.
The condensed Mandarava practice is here:
http://www.freezecast.com/webcast/index ... :Mandarava
But you have to be a member of Dzogchen Community, as well. :smile:
Pero

Post by Pero »

Dronma wrote:I am trying to learn Mandarava practice for years now and I am not still sure that I know much.... :tongue:
Well, Pema Rigdzin, if you are seriously interested, then you have to follow a course with a qualified instructor of Mandarava practice - there are only a few in the whole Dzogchen Community who are doing courses from time to time.
I don't agree. You can learn it just fine without going to a course.

PR, I was going to say that you should get a DVD but since the video of the practice is on the webcast site it's not necessary. Maybe next to Mandarava book Sonam gave link to (practice text not necessary, it is also on webcast site) you could also get the Mandarava Tsalung practices book. It has better explanation of Chudlen breathing (which requires kumbhaka btw). Perhaps getting the tsalung book would be sufficient as half of it is explanation of the Mandarava practice, I'd have to go through both books a bit to say for sure, can do tomorrow.
In the practice text there is long version. The medium version leaves out some invocations (you can see in the text which ones). The short version is mantras only but I think it's slightly different than just leaving out all invocations. I think Rinpoche gives lung for it at the end of retreats but not sure, will check during the weekend and if it's what I'm thinking (Rinpoche taught it during a retreat couple years back) maybe I have the text for it or I can type it out for you. The essential version is described in the Tsalung book but if you don't get that I can tell you as it's really simple.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Post by Pero »

Dronma wrote:
The condensed Mandarava practice is here:
http://www.freezecast.com/webcast/index ... :Mandarava
But you have to be a member of Dzogchen Community, as well. :smile:
Have you tried downloading it? I can't, says I have to use the webcast website. Same for every other text there.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I did Mandarava following the webcast when ChNN was sick in roughly the same way I used to perform other group rituals: just trying to chant along without knowing what I'm doing really. I think doing a condensed Mandarava practice the best we can based on our knowledge and ability is probably fine. I'm sure it's beneficial.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

padma norbu wrote:I did Mandarava following the webcast when ChNN was sick in roughly the same way I used to perform other group rituals: just trying to chant along without knowing what I'm doing really. I think doing a condensed Mandarava practice the best we can based on our knowledge and ability is probably fine. I'm sure it's beneficial.

Well, I have received Mandarava transmission and teaching some times from Rinpoche.
And replying to Pero: I have all DVDs and books here as well. But I still do not think that I know much... :juggling:
Maybe I am perfectionist.... :D
But seriously now, if I had not received all detailed instructions from Rinpoche, I should be like padma norbu writes: "without knowing what I'm really doing". And I hate that.....!!!!!!! :twisted:
That's why I am saying to the people who are really interested: move on and find a qualified instructor, if not Rinpoche himself who is the perfect source for real knowledge!!! :namaste:
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Dronma wrote:
padma norbu wrote:I did Mandarava following the webcast when ChNN was sick in roughly the same way I used to perform other group rituals: just trying to chant along without knowing what I'm doing really. I think doing a condensed Mandarava practice the best we can based on our knowledge and ability is probably fine. I'm sure it's beneficial.

Well, I have received Mandarava transmission and teaching some times from Rinpoche.
And replying to Pero: I have all DVDs and books here as well. But I still do not think that I know much... :juggling:
Maybe I am perfectionist.... :D
But seriously now, if I had not received all detailed instructions from Rinpoche, I should be like padma norbu writes: "without knowing what I'm really doing". And I hate that.....!!!!!!! :twisted:
That's why I am saying to the people who are really interested: move on and find a qualified instructor, if not Rinpoche himself who is the perfect source for real knowledge!!! :namaste:
In my experience, there are plenty of people in DC who have received transmission and are doing practices without really knowing what they're doing. There's no other way to start, really, because access to Rinpoche is limited. When he teaches on the webcast, I'm pretty sure he teaches the same thing in person since he has made comments before about people who come up and ask for special 1-on-1 teachings and he says "weren't you listening?" Stuff like that. I have the DVD of Tara and he is teaching his community when it is being filmed; if it was webcast would it be any different? I don't think so.

And, yes, you sound like you are being perfectionist and, no, that's not really good because you can always think you're not doing it "right" when there is only so much "right" you can get. You can do it perfectly and not notice any result so you will think you are doing it wrong and get discouraged.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

padma norbu wrote: In my experience, there are plenty of people in DC who have received transmission and are doing practices without really knowing what they're doing. There's no other way to start, really, because access to Rinpoche is limited. When he teaches on the webcast, I'm pretty sure he teaches the same thing in person since he has made comments before about people who come up and ask for special 1-on-1 teachings and he says "weren't you listening?" Stuff like that. I have the DVD of Tara and he is teaching his community when it is being filmed; if it was webcast would it be any different? I don't think so.

Exactly! Transmission through webcast is almost the same like being really there!
Being there, does not mean that we ask Rinpoche for a personal meeting for transmitting privately to us (to one person). It means that we are all receiving together the same transmission and if we are serious, it is enough.
When we watch a DVD, we cannot receive transmission, but we can study and learn a practice very well. During webcasts the transmission is alive because Rinpoche is teaching at that moment, even if he is miles away from us!

padma norbu wrote: And, yes, you sound like you are being perfectionist and, no, that's not really good because you can always think you're not doing it "right" when there is only so much "right" you can get. You can do it perfectly and not notice any result so you will think you are doing it wrong and get discouraged.

Too much thinking and analyzing about useless things like "being this" or "not being that", does not help anybody.
So, I was only joking!!!! I do often that.... :mrgreen:
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

Pema Rigdzin,
Elio Guarisco is one of the members of the Dzogchen Community who is authorized to teach Mandarava practice. I have heard via the grapevine that he is scheduled to teach in Portland during the weekend of March 8th. I haven't heard yet what he will be teaching but you might want to contact them and find out.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Nina Robinson also holds a lot of Mandarava retreats too.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Thanks a lot, everyone! So appreciate the info.
Ah Pero, I had no idea that chudlen involved khumbaka. Thanks for noting that! So since I haven't learned khumbaka yet and need to learn it from a DC teacher in person, I guess I'll have to look into upcoming teachings for that. Maybe the observant and astute Malabeads' tip about Elio's teaching in March will be the key to that. Thanks, again everyone!
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Pero wrote:
Dronma wrote:I am trying to learn Mandarava practice for years now and I am not still sure that I know much.... :tongue:
I don't agree. You can learn it just fine without going to a course.

PR, I was going to say that you should get a DVD but since the video of the practice is on the webcast site it's not necessary. Maybe next to Mandarava book Sonam gave link to (practice text not necessary, it is also on webcast site) you could also get the Mandarava Tsalung practices book. It has better explanation of Chudlen breathing (which requires kumbhaka btw). Perhaps getting the tsalung book would be sufficient as half of it is explanation of the Mandarava practice, I'd have to go through both books a bit to say for sure, can do tomorrow.
In the practice text there is long version. The medium version leaves out some invocations (you can see in the text which ones). The short version is mantras only but I think it's slightly different than just leaving out all invocations. I think Rinpoche gives lung for it at the end of retreats but not sure, will check during the weekend and if it's what I'm thinking (Rinpoche taught it during a retreat couple years back) maybe I have the text for it or I can type it out for you. The essential version is described in the Tsalung book but if you don't get that I can tell you as it's really simple.
Thanks a lot, man! Take your time since school has me pretty busy for the next couple weeks and I have another long life sadhana I already know that I can do for now (it just lacks the chudlen, or at least if it does have it I lack the instructions on it).

Return to “Dzogchen”