Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

heart

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by heart »

dzogchungpa wrote:
heart wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:Felix, just go work on your khaita. You'll be fine. :smile:
Thats not really fair, khaita might look funny on video but in real life it is something else.

/magnus
OK, OK, I just thought he could be a bit more joyful. :smile:

It is interesting how things aren't always how they seem at first glance though, isn't it?
You got a point.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
makewhisper

Post by makewhisper »

Another question: How does one know whether Yantra Yoga, pranayama or kumbhaka is needed? What signs manifesting in practice suggest a need for one or more of these practices? Thanks!
ༀ་ཨཱཿ་ཧཱུྃ
Oṃ Āḥ Hūṃ
Om Ah Hung

"Whilst lacking pure renunciation there is no way to pacify
The continual thirst for pleasure in the ocean of saṃsāra,
And since all living beings are bound by their craving for existence,
You must begin by finding the determination to be free."

[from Je Tsongkhapa's Three Principal Aspects of the Path]
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Malcolm wrote: I am not sure how much time you have spent with teachers and communities outside the DC, but trust me, they generally think we are very strange.
What do they find strange about the DC?
Is it the view of dzogchen that is taught, or is the group's structure or interactional style unusual?

For many years I studied traditional Japanese martial arts in the Bujinkan organization. I was very surprised over the years to learn how we were viewed by people in the traditional Koryu ("old school" martial arts).
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

climb-up wrote:
Malcolm wrote: I am not sure how much time you have spent with teachers and communities outside the DC, but trust me, they generally think we are very strange.
Is it the view of dzogchen that is taught, or is the group's structure or interactional style unusual?
\
All of it.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

makewhisper wrote:Another question: How does one know whether Yantra Yoga, pranayama or kumbhaka is needed? What signs manifesting in practice suggest a need for one or more of these practices? Thanks!
it depends on what you are focusing, but the specific benefits of each yantra and pranayama are described in the commentary of the root text "Union of the Moon and the Sun Yantra" called "A Stainless Mirror of Jewels" -both included in the book "Yantra Yoga, The Tibetan Yoga of Movement"- at the end of each commentary -in the text-. This benefits can give us an idea for apply them in the face of a manifested sign.

i don't know anything about kumbhaka. Only that there is a pranayama for mastering it, oh, haha there is an application.
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

makewhisper wrote:Another question: How does one know whether Yantra Yoga, pranayama or kumbhaka is needed? What signs manifesting in practice suggest a need for one or more of these practices? Thanks!
Yantra Yoga is a system that includes both Pranayama and Kumbhaka, so I really don't understand your question. If you need Kumbhaka or not depends on the other practices you do or want to do. E.g. for a more complex Anu-Yoga practice it is very good if not indespensable to know how to do Kumbhaka. Pranayama is a basis for many Ati-Yoga practices and so on...

KY
Lhakpa

Post by Lhakpa »

Hi guys, I have some questions regarding the short/essential Mandarava practice, if any DC member who may be able to help can PM that would be great :) :bow:
Tongnyid Dorje

Post by Tongnyid Dorje »

climb-up wrote:

For many years I studied traditional Japanese martial arts in the Bujinkan organization. I was very surprised over the years to learn how we were viewed by people in the traditional Koryu ("old school" martial arts).
its true, that DC is full of wierdos.... dont take me bad, im also part of it. :smile:
makewhisper

Post by makewhisper »

Hiya. I got the email today about the longsal rushan retreat coming up at the end of January. It mentioned that there will be tridlungs on the last day. Can someone explain what the tridlungs are exactly? Thanks vajra siblings!
ༀ་ཨཱཿ་ཧཱུྃ
Oṃ Āḥ Hūṃ
Om Ah Hung

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

makewhisper wrote:Hiya. I got the email today about the longsal rushan retreat coming up at the end of January. It mentioned that there will be tridlungs on the last day. Can someone explain what the tridlungs are exactly? Thanks vajra siblings!
Those are lungs or permissions for many secondary practices, for example for Green Tara, and for other mantras.

Kevin
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

makewhisper wrote:Hiya. I got the email today about the longsal rushan retreat coming up at the end of January. It mentioned that there will be tridlungs on the last day. Can someone explain what the tridlungs are exactly? Thanks vajra siblings!
Basically Rinpoche will give transmission (lung) of various practices used in the Dzogchen Community, as well as also giving very brief instruction (tri) on these practices.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Can someone help me get on the mailing list? I've tried the Norbunet Google address numerous times and gotten no response. Is there some other list?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
makewhisper

Post by makewhisper »

Virgo wrote:
Those are lungs or permissions for many secondary practices, for example for Green Tara, and for other mantras.

Kevin
Thank you. Is it the case that if I participate through the webcast I receive the lungs for secondary practices as with the WWTs of guru yoga?
ༀ་ཨཱཿ་ཧཱུྃ
Oṃ Āḥ Hūṃ
Om Ah Hung

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

makewhisper wrote:
Virgo wrote:

Kevin
Thank you. Is it the case that if I participate through the webcast I receive the lungs for secondary practices as with the WWTs of guru yoga?
If you participate in the webcast from beginning til end, then you will receive transmission of the Longsal Rushen teachings of Rinpoche given in this particular retreat, as well as direct introduction - since Rinpoche always gives this - as well as his trilungs at the final day. You will be able to practice all of the things you receive in this retreat, if you participate in the webcast live.
Last edited by Norwegian on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Can someone help me get on the mailing list? I've tried the Norbunet Google address numerous times and gotten no response. Is there some other list?
Sent a PM.
makewhisper

Post by makewhisper »

Norwegian wrote:
makewhisper wrote:
Virgo wrote: Those are lungs or permissions for many secondary practices, for example for Green Tara, and for other mantras.

Kevin
If you participate in the webcast from beginning til end, then you will receive transmission of the Longsal Rushen teachings of Rinpoche given in this particular retreat, as well as direct introduction - since Rinpoche always gives this - as well as his trilungs at the final day. You will be able to practice all of the things you receive in this retreat, if you participate in the webcast live.
Thank you, Norwegian. Is there a practice that needs to be prepared for to receive direct introduction as with WWT? For example, the WWT I participated in back in November included direct introduction as part of a Guru Nangsi Silnon practice.
ༀ་ཨཱཿ་ཧཱུྃ
Oṃ Āḥ Hūṃ
Om Ah Hung

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

makewhisper wrote:
Norwegian wrote:
makewhisper wrote:Thank you. Is it the case that if I participate through the webcast I receive the lungs for secondary practices as with the WWTs of guru yoga?
Thank you, Norwegian. Is there a practice that needs to be prepared for to receive direct introduction as with WWT? For example, the WWT I participated in back in November included direct introduction as part of a Guru Nangsi Silnon practice.
No. Direct introduction is not bound by any specific text. It can be formal (as with the WWT), or it can be informal. It can be elaborate, or extremely unelaborate.

As Rinpoche always says, he always gives direct introduction in every retreat of his. All you need to do is be present (i.e., aware) and pay attention to what he is teaching :)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

makewhisper wrote:
Virgo wrote:

Kevin
If you are there on the last day you will receive all the lungs, yes. I like to recommend this video to people about some of the advices that Rinpoche gives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wov-6PQI7pw&t=123s

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Some peoples here i think were there in person for that retreat.

kevin
hypa3000

Post by hypa3000 »

I've just recently joined DC.

When i login will i be able to watch the full Longsal Rushen retreat live via webcast
or only replays of the Open webcasts?

Or do i need to register for the retreat if i want to watch online either live / replay?

Thanks

Return to “Dzogchen”