Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Pero

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Pero »

Namdrol wrote:
Clarence wrote:How come these people don't get what they are looking for? Are they all practicing wrong? You yourself said it is so subtle that it is hard to understand.
People do not understand what a "result" is. If they are happier, more mindful and more relaxed, what other result do they want?
Hmm while I kind of see your point, I'm not sure about it since "happier, more mindful and more relaxed" could occur from any path, even non-Buddhist ones...
What could be cooler than that? Everything else is just bells and whistles.
I'm afraid our minds really like those bells and whistles. :rolling:
Nonsense, ChNN likes advertising very much. I remember when I was president of Gakyil at Tsegyalgar, I said we must advertise transmission days. People said, oh no, ChNN wont' like that. So I wrote him, and he loved the idea. After that, membership in DC exploded.
Haha yes, he likes advertising in the sense of giving out information but he said he doesn't like "publicity". Perhaps there's a thin line between them. Magnus's thought crossed my mind too, but then I thought it's better to have one thread and everything in it instead of multiple ones.
Nangwa wrote: During the April 29th webcast Rinpoche explained this principle quite clearly.
Was that the webcast about essence, nature and energy from sgra thal 'gyur? I didn't participate but have been thinking of listening to the replay.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Josef

Post by Josef »

Pero wrote:
Nangwa wrote: During the April 29th webcast Rinpoche explained this principle quite clearly.
Was that the webcast about essence, nature and energy from sgra thal 'gyur? I didn't participate but have been thinking of listening to the replay.
Yeah, he covers a lot of different stuff in there though.
It was a really great teaching, you should listen to it.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pero

Post by Pero »

Nangwa wrote:
Pero wrote:
Yeah, he covers a lot of different stuff in there though.
It was a really great teaching, you should listen to it.
OK will do, thanks. Tsch, I knew I should've listened to it, sgra thal 'gyur is my favorite tantra and I think I didn't have any big obstacles other than being an idiot.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Josef

Post by Josef »

Pero wrote: OK will do, thanks. Tsch, I knew I should've listened to it, sgra thal 'gyur is my favorite tantra and I think I didn't have any big obstacles other than being an idiot.
I'm not 100% on the level of sgra thal gyur content in that day. I'm pretty sure thats the correct day but even if I am mistaken its still well worth a listen. I have to listen to it again to be sure.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pero

Post by Pero »

Nangwa wrote:
Pero wrote: OK will do, thanks. Tsch, I knew I should've listened to it, sgra thal 'gyur is my favorite tantra and I think I didn't have any big obstacles other than being an idiot.
I'm not 100% on the level of sgra thal gyur content in that day. I'm pretty sure thats the correct day but even if I am mistaken its still well worth a listen. I have to listen to it again to be sure.
Ah don't worry, I was talking about the whole retreat not just the day you mentioned.
- Shabkar
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nangwa wrote:

It is a section of sgra thal 'gyur commentary he was talking about actually.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Namdrol wrote:
Nangwa wrote:

It is a section of sgra thal 'gyur commentary he was talking about actually.
Ah! thats right.
heart

Post by heart »

mr. gordo wrote:
heart wrote:To be serious I am a bit surprised at this thread. I don't think ChNN needs so much advertisement, pretty sure he wouldn't like it. I wonder why you think it is important to do it?

/magnus
Hi magnus,

This thread isn't so much an "advertisement" as much as a space where students of Namkhai Norbu can discuss practices within their community and help other members. Threads of other communities and teachers are welcome as well.
I am pretty sure ChNN expressed dislike with discussing DC practices online. But never mind it is not a big deal, whatever you like is ok but I doubt there will be other threads like this for other communities in this forum.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:
mr. gordo wrote:
heart wrote:To be serious I am a bit surprised at this thread. I don't think ChNN needs so much advertisement, pretty sure he wouldn't like it. I wonder why you think it is important to do it?

/magnus
Hi magnus,

This thread isn't so much an "advertisement" as much as a space where students of Namkhai Norbu can discuss practices within their community and help other members. Threads of other communities and teachers are welcome as well.
I am pretty sure ChNN expressed dislike with discussing DC practices online. But never mind it is not a big deal, whatever you like is ok but I doubt there will be other threads like this for other communities in this forum.

/magnus
We are not discussing DC practices.

That depends on whether people wish to discuss these things amongst themselves. So if there are more than a few Gomde people here, I see know reason why there would be such a thread.
Pero

Post by Pero »

heart wrote:I am pretty sure ChNN expressed dislike with discussing DC practices online. But never mind it is not a big deal, whatever you like is ok but I doubt there will be other threads like this for other communities in this forum.
So why not create one Magnus? I'm certain no on would mind. :smile:
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Namdrol wrote:

That depends on whether people wish to discuss these things amongst themselves. So if there are more than a few Gomde people here, I see know reason why there would be such a thread.
It was suggested by mr. gordo that this is what the thread should be used for among other things.

Thank you for the suggestion but I see no need. Not so many Gomde people here and not so much to discuss. My point was that I didn't see much discussion in this thread either.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Namdrol wrote:
Clarence wrote: How does on go about getting pointing out in the Dzogchen Community? I saw there is a retreat in Merigar from 14th to 20th of this month with a webcast. Where can I sign-up or listen to the webcasts?
http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now, if I don't recognize during pointing-out through the webcast, do I then have automatic permission to practice the methods to recognize?
Yes.
You said they are the Lojongs, Semdzins and Rushens, right? Are there more? How do I know how to practice them? Does DC have teachers available who can help or how does this work?
Yes, there are teachers of SMS who teach Rinpoche's Precious Vase. You can study with them.
Is it possible to purchase and practice the Semdzins, Rushens, etc. booklet having received pointing out from other masters?
No, in order to purchase any restricted book, one must be a member of the DC. That is not so expensive and has many benefits.
So, basically, how should a newcomer to the DC go about his way?
You should listen to webcast, see if ChNN inspires you. If so, become a member of DC in your local region. By books for practices that interest you. Learn them well. In particular, you must buy Precious Vase. As well as sadhana book called the Thun Book.
This post above is enough reason for the existence of this thread. At least one person was greatly helped by it, I'm sure.
It's also nice to know other DC members who might be around.
Questions within certain boundaries can also be answered fast and effectively.
And a little cheering has never done any harm. We have the right to feel happy as a members of the same community. :smile:
I see no reason for anyone to be disturbed by this thread.

DN
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Dechen Norbu wrote: This post above is enough reason for the existence of this thread. At least one person was greatly helped by it, I'm sure.
It's also nice to know other DC members who might be around. DN
Definitely helped me. I will give it a try. You know, I think one of the main benefits is that you can stay at home, attending the webcasts, and then one can practice whatever one wants to get to recognition. Now, before I get accused of being lazy, I do want to do retreat, and I do want to practice, but, at this point in my life, I really don't have the leisure to just pick up and stay away for a few weeks. Practice daily is possible though.
BTW, I would love to hear about the way other traditions do their things. With my Lama, you have to do Ngondro and then you get Yeshe Lama, but I haven't been able to see him in a few years due to Visa problems.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

heart wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

It was suggested by mr. gordo that this is what the thread should be used for among other things.

Thank you for the suggestion but I see no need. Not so many Gomde people here and not so much to discuss. My point was that I didn't see much discussion in this thread either.

/magnus
with much respect (and love) I do not see why it niggles you, cause when one don't like one don't look ... but maybe there is a feeling of being apart, it's ok your are free to join :twothumbsup:

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Clarence wrote: You know, I think one of the main benefits is that you can stay at home, attending the webcasts, and then one can practice whatever one wants to get to recognition.
I think the webcasts are one of the most innovative ways to teach Dharma that hasn't been picked up by other teachers, and should be. He is able to reach people who can't afford to travel and attend retreats. On top of that, he has the SMS program to train teachers for the future which will lead to his teachings being spread way more far and wide than any other traditional teachers and lineages.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Pero

Post by Pero »

mr. gordo wrote:
Clarence wrote: You know, I think one of the main benefits is that you can stay at home, attending the webcasts, and then one can practice whatever one wants to get to recognition.
I think the webcasts are one of the most innovative ways to teach Dharma that hasn't been picked up by other teachers, and should be.
It seems to me that that is slowly changing.
- Shabkar
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche is doing it, Mingyur Rinpoché and Jetsun Khandro Rinpoche have done it, without forgeting HHDL and SS Karmapa ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
heart

Post by heart »

Sönam wrote: with much respect (and love) I do not see why it niggles you, cause when one don't like one don't look ... but maybe there is a feeling of being apart, it's ok your are free to join :twothumbsup:

Sönam
:smile: I listen to a few webacsts by ChNN, exchanged a few emails with him and applied some of his teachings. ChNN even made a condensed version of the Zabtik Drolma sadhana from the Chokling Tersar for me once. So you don't need to worry. :smile:

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Just read this on the ukranian site:

Chögyal Namkhai Norbu offers direct introduction three times a year, on the anniversaries of Garab Dorje (19th March 2011), Guru Padmasambhava, and Adzom Drugpa. In order to make it possible for people who cannot attend a retreat or come to a direct introduction in person, these direct transmissions are also offered by live Internet webcast.

Just to be sure, but does that mean when I follow the webcast starting the 14th, I won't be getting Direct Introduction? I will still listen anyway, but when is the next Direct Intro then?
Pero

Post by Pero »

Clarence wrote:Just to be sure, but does that mean when I follow the webcast starting the 14th, I won't be getting Direct Introduction? I will still listen anyway, but when is the next Direct Intro then?
Rinpoche gives DI during most retreats, so it's pretty likely he will give it during that retreat. There are exceptions, like the last one, when there was no DI. And I think there were a few others, for those retreats it's considered to be more for people who aren't totally new. But it's rare more than not.
- Shabkar

Return to “Dzogchen”