Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Malcolm »

Nangwa wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Dechen wrote: What next?
Dzogchen Community.

http://www.dzogchen.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I second this recommendation.
The Dzogchen Community offers something structured and international that is very comfortable, highly accessible, and full of extraordinary practice and study opportunities.
My experience with them has been really wonderful.

And even better, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu really is an awakened master.
Arnoud

Re: Lust or compassion? How do we know?

Post by Arnoud »

Namdrol wrote: And even better, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu really is an awakened master.
What about his son? Have you ever met him?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Clarence wrote:
Namdrol wrote: And even better, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu really is an awakened master.
What about his son? Have you ever met him?

I have met Yeshe, but I have no idea about him. Of course, he is a nice person, and supports his father's work with his whole heart.

People who consider themselves his students feel very enthusiastic about him.

N
Josef

Post by Josef »

Namdrol wrote:
No doubt.
I want to be just like him when I grow up.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nangwa wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
No doubt.
I want to be just like him when I grow up.

I guess this is a little off topic.

We need a thread, fanboys for ChNN.
pemachophel

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by pemachophel »

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu literally saved my life at a time when I was considering leaving the Dharma altogether. IOW, he saved my mi-lu rin-po-che. Obeisance to the Lama!
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
rai

Post by rai »

Namdrol wrote:
Dear Namdrol,

I remember you wrote on E-sangha that although in general you are sceptical about tulku system you think that Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche really is a tulku of Adzom Drukpa. I never had a chance to ask what make you think so. Could you please write something more?

Rai
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Dear Namdrol,

I remember you wrote on E-sangha that although in general you are sceptical about tulku system you think that Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche really is a tulku of Adzom Drukpa. I never had a chance to ask what make you think so. Could you please write something more?

Rai

Oh, it is simple. Norbu RInpoche wrote a long commentary when he was younger. Later on, when he had a chance to obtain all of Adzom Drugpa's collected works, he chanced to find a text in Adzom's collected works that was for over a hundred pages identical in topic, outline and structure. Apart from minor differences in in grammar, the words are the same.

Based on that, Norbu Rinpoche himself decided that it must be true that he is the reincarnation of Adzom Drugpa.

Adzom Drugpa was the most important Dzogchen Guru of the early twentieth century for many reasons, not least of which he was the main Dzogchen disciple of Khyentse Wangpo. Chogyal Namkhai Norbu is the most important Dzogchen master alive today. Of course, there are many Dzogchen masters, and to their own students, they are the most important. But in terms of service in spreading Unsurpassed Secret Treasury of Mahasaṃdhi teachings, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu is in truth the Second Vajrasattva.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Couldn't agree more. Awesome. I haven't met as many lamas as Namdrol, but met quite a few already and can say they were great teachers. But I've never seen anything like Namkhai Norbu or a work that comes close to his. Those who know me, also know that for me saying this is not very easy, not because I know a lot, but because I believe realization is very, very rare, even among high lamas (not mattering if I'm right or wrong, I have reasons to sustain this belief).

I hoping I'm not out of line by saying that it could be beneficial for those wanting to understand him throughly to study some Buddhadharma. I'll explain. ChNN in a talk speaks about nirmanakaya, for instance. He will assume you know what it is. Or anuyoga. The same. These are only simple examples. Basically, when he speaks of a Buddhist concept, he assumes you know what he is talking about, most of the times. He explains very precisely Dzogchen. Excellent booklets and books are available to deepen study. So, to better appreciate his teachings, having some Buddhist background helps a lot, especially if one is not attending webcasts in a group. I'm saying this by experience, because my wife became very interested in his webcasts, but after the talks I had to spend a lot of time explaining Buddhist concepts to her. Finally I've decided to give her good books to read and now I only have to explain two or three concepts occasionally. So, I think knowing this could be beneficial for those thinking about assisting to the webcasts. Besides, with a good background one learns more and more easily, but that you know already.

The downside... there's always one... I'm not getting any sleep to attend the webcasts... :zzz:
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

phpBB [video]
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

phpBB [video]
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Namdrol wrote:
Full agree !
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
rai

Post by rai »

1.Would you advise people who are following other teachers , maybe in different traditoins to receive transmission from Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche , just to make the connection?

2.How do I keep the transmission afterwards if I am not doing any Dzogchen Community practices? just by doing any Guruyoga?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:
1.Would you advise people who are following other teachers , maybe in different traditoins to receive transmission from Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche , just to make the connection?

2.How do I keep the transmission afterwards if I am not doing any Dzogchen Community practices? just by doing any Guruyoga?

As to question one, yes.

As to question two, yes.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Namdrol-la,

In one of your posts (which I can't find), you mentioned that there is pointing-out. Then there is either

a. Recognizing or

b. Not Recognizing

When a. stabilise

When b. Practice methods to recognize what was pointed out.

Few questions:
How does on go about getting pointing out in the Dzogchen Community? I saw there is a retreat in Merigar from 14th to 20th of this month with a webcast. Where can I sign-up or listen to the webcasts?

Now, if I don't recognize during pointing-out through the webcast, do I then have automatic permission to practice the methods to recognize? You said they are the Lojongs, Semdzins and Rushens, right? Are there more? How do I know how to practice them? Does DC have teachers available who can help or how does this work?

Is it possible to purchase and practice the Semdzins, Rushens, etc. booklet having received pointing out from other masters?

So, basically, how should a newcomer to the DC go about his way?

Many thanks,

Clarence
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Clarence wrote: How does on go about getting pointing out in the Dzogchen Community? I saw there is a retreat in Merigar from 14th to 20th of this month with a webcast. Where can I sign-up or listen to the webcasts?
http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now, if I don't recognize during pointing-out through the webcast, do I then have automatic permission to practice the methods to recognize?
Yes.
You said they are the Lojongs, Semdzins and Rushens, right? Are there more? How do I know how to practice them? Does DC have teachers available who can help or how does this work?
Yes, there are teachers of SMS who teach Rinpoche's Precious Vase. You can study with them.
Is it possible to purchase and practice the Semdzins, Rushens, etc. booklet having received pointing out from other masters?
No, in order to purchase any restricted book, one must be a member of the DC. That is not so expensive and has many benefits.
So, basically, how should a newcomer to the DC go about his way?
You should listen to webcast, see if ChNN inspires you. If so, become a member of DC in your local region. By books for practices that interest you. Learn them well. In particular, you must buy Precious Vase. As well as sadhana book called the Thun Book.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Great. Thank you.

Now, there is not just 1 site where Rinpoche's retreats and webcasts are located, right?

Another thing I was wondering about though. Will practicing the methods described in the Precious Vase allow me to recognize Rigpa, even without having any further close contact to Rinpoche? How does that work exactly?

And, you told Mr. Gordo it all comes down to interest and diligence, but there seem to be so many people who practice Dzogchen, who then just give up because they don't get results. How come these people don't get what they are looking for? Are they all practicing wrong? You yourself said it is so subtle that it is hard to understand. Doesn't one need a kind of close relationship with a teacher then?

Many thanks once again,

Clarence
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Clarence wrote:Great. Thank you.

Now, there is not just 1 site where Rinpoche's retreats and webcasts are located, right?

Another thing I was wondering about though. Will practicing the methods described in the Precious Vase allow me to recognize Rigpa, even without having any further close contact to Rinpoche? How does that work exactly?

And, you told Mr. Gordo it all comes down to interest and diligence, but there seem to be so many people who practice Dzogchen, who then just give up because they don't get results. How come these people don't get what they are looking for? Are they all practicing wrong? You yourself said it is so subtle that it is hard to understand. Doesn't one need a kind of close relationship with a teacher then?

Many thanks once again,

Clarence
This is the main webcast site.

Rigpa is just your knowledge of your state. So yes, practicing this methods in these books will being you to that knowledge.

You try to listen to as many retreats as you can.

They are mostly being broadcast without restriction these days and if you become a member you can listen to replays.

You just need to hear the teachings a lot -- that is the advantage. If you have serious question, you can always email Rinpoche.

And you must try to go meet him in person.

N
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Clarence wrote:How come these people don't get what they are looking for? Are they all practicing wrong? You yourself said it is so subtle that it is hard to understand.

People do not understand what a "result" is. If they are happier, more mindful and more relaxed, what other result do they want?
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Namdrol wrote: This is the main webcast site.

Rigpa is just your knowledge of your state. So yes, practicing this methods in these books will being you to that knowledge.

You try to listen to as many retreats as you can.

They are mostly being broadcast without restriction these days and if you become a member you can listen to replays.

You just need to hear the teachings a lot -- that is the advantage. If you have serious question, you can always email Rinpoche.

And you must try to go meet him in person.

N
Thank you. That is great. He will even answer email? That is amazing. I should go meet him in person. Thanks for the reminder.
Namdrol wrote:People do not understand what a "result" is. If they are happier, more mindful and more relaxed, what other result do they want?
Not to be fascetious, but enlightenment? Or at least being sure that they are on their way. I guess it is much easier to believe that when one sees lights, yidams, and has all kinds of powerful blessing experiences.
So, even once one has become sure about what Rigpa is and is just working on stabilising that knowledge, nothing "cool" will happen?
I think that is an important thing to realize then.

Return to “Dzogchen”