This is what Rinpoche is saying in "The Practice in Daily Life":

"Guruyoga means being in the state of instant presence
introduced to you by your teacher, that maybe you were
able to discover. Guru yoga is being in that state again; if you
are not able to be in that state then you try to do many different
practices, for example you can repeat and apply the way the
state was introduced to you
."

Does this mean that one can repeat on its own the transmission of--lets say-- Garab Dorje as it was given a few days ago ?
oberon_rex

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by oberon_rex »

alpha wrote:This is what Rinpoche is saying in "The Practice in Daily Life":

"Guruyoga means being in the state of instant presence
introduced to you by your teacher, that maybe you were
able to discover. Guru yoga is being in that state again; if you
are not able to be in that state then you try to do many different
practices, for example you can repeat and apply the way the
state was introduced to you
."

Does this mean that one can repeat on its own the transmission of--lets say-- Garab Dorje as it was given a few days ago ?
Yep. Not so much that you Could but you ought to.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Dronma wrote:
padma norbu wrote: I've just received transmission a bunch of times over the years and each year that goes by I understand things I can't put into words more and more. However, like one of the tales of the 84 Mahasiddhas I relate to, I am a bad and forgetful student. To prove the point, I forget which Mahasiddha it was exactly, but it made me feel good that there was one who actually said he forgets every damn thing he ever learns and so he was given an appropriate sadhana for his condition and he went on to achieve the "dakini's paradise." That's me in a nutshell.
Padma norbu, I think you judge yourself very strictly.
None is "perfect"! And this is normal and makes our existence interesting! ;)
I like very much your sincerity, which shows no fear and no strong ego-clinging. These are precious qualities for any dedicated practitioner! :smile:
Examining myself is what has led me to being hard on myself. Thanks for the encouragement, but at least trying to be honest with myself about my condition isn't glossing over bad practice and laziness with a finish of grade A bullshit on top of it. Being honest with myself is about the very least I can do if I have any business bothering with this stuff at all. At least I know it. Am I ever going to do anything about it? Well, I guess we'll see...
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Dronma

Post by Dronma »

padma norbu wrote: Examining myself is what has led me to being hard on myself. Thanks for the encouragement, but at least trying to be honest with myself about my condition isn't glossing over bad practice and laziness with a finish of grade A bullshit on top of it. Being honest with myself is about the very least I can do if I have any business bothering with this stuff at all. At least I know it. Am I ever going to do anything about it? Well, I guess we'll see...
Let me tell you a secret - publicly :spy: : I was also hard to myself!
Occasionally, I still am... ;)
But learning how to relax and being compassionate is very helpful.
Compassion and care towards others is very famous in Dharma circles.
But it really starts developing when we learn how we can show compassion to ourselves.
Of course, it is always necessary to examine our motivation and try not to be selfish.
That' s why Wisdom and Compassion go always together! :smile:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Dronma wrote:
padma norbu wrote: Examining myself is what has led me to being hard on myself. Thanks for the encouragement, but at least trying to be honest with myself about my condition isn't glossing over bad practice and laziness with a finish of grade A bullshit on top of it. Being honest with myself is about the very least I can do if I have any business bothering with this stuff at all. At least I know it. Am I ever going to do anything about it? Well, I guess we'll see...
Let me tell you a secret - publicly :spy: : I was also hard to myself!
Occasionally, I still am... ;)
But learning how to relax and being compassionate is very helpful.
Compassion and care towards others is very famous in Dharma circles.
But it really starts developing when we learn how we can show compassion to ourselves.
Of course, it is always necessary to examine our motivation and try not to be selfish.
That' s why Wisdom and Compassion go always together! :smile:
Yeah, I know. Trust me, after 10 years of Buddhist study/practice and 5+ years of Dzogchen, I didn't get to be a poor student and lazy practitioner without going easy on myself.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Pero

Post by Pero »

Nangwa wrote:Does anyone know if there is going to be a Mandarava book that is built like the Book of Tun?

It would be outstanding if we could get a similar printing but with the short, middle, and complete Mandarava practices with mudras and visualizations in the same style as the Book of Tun and Ganapuja.

I want it!
No, there's only a book of mudras or something like that, which has practice texts and corresponding mudras from various practices (including Mandarava) drawn in it. Don't know if it's still being sold or not though, got it couple years back.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Josef

Post by Josef »

Pero wrote:
Nangwa wrote:Does anyone know if there is going to be a Mandarava book that is built like the Book of Tun?

It would be outstanding if we could get a similar printing but with the short, middle, and complete Mandarava practices with mudras and visualizations in the same style as the Book of Tun and Ganapuja.

I want it!
No, there's only a book of mudras or something like that, which has practice texts and corresponding mudras from various practices (including Mandarava) drawn in it. Don't know if it's still being sold or not though, got it couple years back.

Bummer.
A tun book for Mandarava would be really wonderful.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Just to be completely sure, the following given times are Australian time and not GMT?

Namgyalgar North retreat

16th-22nd March 2012

Teaching is the Zhaldam (Advice) of the great teacher Khyenrab Chos-kyi ‘Odzer, who was one of the most important students of the great Dzogchen Master Zhenga Rinpoche.

OPEN WEBCAST

BRISBANE TIME GMT +10 hours
Check the time here: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

16th March 5-7pm.
Start of the retreat: An introduction to the retreat Teaching and the transmission of Ati Guru Yoga, which is always being in the essence, and the Tridlung of Short Thun.

17th March 10-12am.
Transmitting the 1st verse of Zhaldam with its Three principle teachings and the Tridlung of Short Gana Puja.

1-2pm.
We do a short Gana Puja for the day of Dakini and Anniversary of Ayu Khandro.

18 th March 10-12am.
Transmitting the 2nd of Zhaldam verse with its Three principle teachings and direct introduction.

19th March 10-12am.
Transmitting the 3rd of Zhaldam verse with its Three principle teachings and Tridlung of Medium Thun.

20th March 10-12am.
Transmitting the 4th of Zhaldam verse with its Three principle teachings.

21st March 10-12.00
Transmitting more detail the teaching of Tsgsum naddeg and Tridlung of Medium Gana Puja.

22nd March 10-12am.
Advice for the practices of how to integrate in daily life and tridlungs of collective practices.

1-2pm.
We do a Medium Gana Puja for the New Moon and end of this retreat.

Bye,
The Webcast Team

------------------------
[email protected]
And that's 10 AM to 12 PM, not 12 AM?
blackpath

Post by blackpath »

Khyenrab Chokyi Oser

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... _%C3%96zer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Thanks Blackpath.

For newcomers who missed the recent Worldwide Transmission (or who had many internet technical difficulties) and who haven't read this entire thread, you might be interested in reading the rest of the following page and maybe the page after it:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 300#p58096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Lhug-Pa wrote:Just to be completely sure, the following given times are Australian time and not GMT?

And that's 10 AM to 12 PM, not 12 AM?
Yes, BRISBANE TIME GMT +10 hours.
Where did you see 12 PM?
Maybe you mean the 2 Gana Pujas: 1pm - 2pm.
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I have been watching Rinpoches webcasts for almost a year now. Almost without exception they start at 4 or 5 PM on the first day and thereafter start at 10 AM, Each session goes for about 2 hours. So its just a matter of figuring out the time difference from where you are to wherever in the world Rinpoche happens to be.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Josef

Post by Josef »

I am really excited about this retreat.

This part of our lineage is very very cool.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Nangwa,
can you elaborate on that as I am not familiar with those teachings?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Josef

Post by Josef »

Fa Dao wrote:Nangwa,
i am not familiar with the particular teaching but the connection to Khyenrab Chokyi Ozer and Khenpo Shenga is really cool.
Its about as good as it gets when we think about the combined lineage of Sakya scholasticism and Dzogchen.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Also I am excited from my Kagyu/Dzogchen POV, he was also a Khenpo at Palpung as was Khenpo Shenga....who was one of the 11th Tai Situpa's main Gurus. The 12th is one of my main teachers and my main Guru, Mingyur Rinpoche completed his Shedra studies at Dzongsar under Khenpo Kunga Wangchuk, who was a student of Onto Kyenrab.
s.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

This time it's Europa that has to stay awake late ... or wake up very early. I think I'll take the first option :popcorn:

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Fa Dao, thanks for explaining. Makes complete sense.

Dronma, I get it now. The times are Australian, not GMT. And I didn't see 12 PM, but 12 AM which I figured actually meant 12 PM. Whoever is in charge of writing out the times always makes that mistake and it can be confusing because some people (like myself) might be thinking: "Is it actually 10 PM to 12 AM? Is it a 14 hour teaching? Or what...?"
Pero

Post by Pero »

Nangwa wrote:
Fa Dao wrote:Nangwa,
i am not familiar with the particular teaching but the connection to Khyenrab Chokyi Ozer and Khenpo Shenga is really cool.
Its about as good as it gets when we think about the combined lineage of Sakya scholasticism and Dzogchen.
This teaching are 4 lines of advice for the 3 statements of Garab Dorje by Khyenrab Chokyi Odzer. Rinpoche already gave this teaching sometime in the past and they made a book of it (Essence of the three statements of Garab Dorje).
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Return to “Dzogchen”