Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Pero

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Pero »

Mr. G wrote:I found it cool that the old member from e-sangha, sunsimao got some footage time too.
Cool! :D
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Webcast (TBC):

http://www.dzogchencommunity.org/dzogch ... arita.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Gordo,

Did you watch "My Reincarnation" at a local theater or is it available to watch somewhere on the net?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Gordo,

Did you watch "My Reincarnation" at a local theater or is it available to watch somewhere on the net?
It was a pre-release for when the Kickstarter fundraiser was being held. :twothumbsup:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
mint

Post by mint »

Is CHNN'S Music for the Dance of the Vajra supposed to be used as a learning tool, or is it simply an experiment in exotic world music?

I'm trying to find a recording of SOV so that I figure out its intonation, etc..
Josef

Post by Josef »

mint wrote:Is CHNN'S Music for the Dance of the Vajra supposed to be used as a learning tool, or is it simply an experiment in exotic world music?

I'm trying to find a recording of SOV so that I figure out its intonation, etc..
The MP3 recordings of the teachings he gave on SOV have a good video of Rinpoche singing it.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Mint, I take it that you are referring to the actual music that can accompany The Song of the Vajra.... I remember reading somewhere what implied something along the lines of that the vibrations of The Song of the Vajra also have music (similar to what Western traditions refer to as the Music of the Spheres), and that Rinpoche gave a Dzogchen Community student the composition and then they reproduced the music of The Song if the Vajra in a form audible to the physical ears.

In the Bar-do Thos-grol there is also a song of Samantabhadri (The Song of the Ghanta?) given right after the Song of the Vajra.
krodha

Post by krodha »

mint wrote:Is CHNN'S Music for the Dance of the Vajra supposed to be used as a learning tool, or is it simply an experiment in exotic world music?

It's used as a support to remain in contemplation while in movement. Just as the ganapuja stimulates all the senses so you can incorporate/integrate them into contemplation. Movement(tactile sensation) with the mudras, auditory sensation with the bell/drum/mantras, taste with the food, smell with the incense, visual with the mudras/visualizations.

Song of vajra dance and music is the same type thing. Support to remain in contemplation. So you can eventually remain in constant nonmeditation.

Just listen to the song of vajra in it's suchness. As white noise almost. Let it pass as a reflection and remain as the mirror.

The sound of traffic and people bustling in the streets is the song of vajra... Integrate integrate integrate
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Does anyone know where I can get the full graphic that is on the cover of Rinpoches book "The Song of the Vajra"? Its an absolutely beautiful mandala and I would like to get it painted by a professional artist or just have a nice framed print.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Anyone else having problems with their internet while listening to the Tashi Norte retreat or is it on their end?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Josef

Post by Josef »

Fa Dao wrote:Anyone else having problems with their internet while listening to the Tashi Norte retreat or is it on their end?
Its been ok for me.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pero

Post by Pero »

For me it's been ok too.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
florin

Post by florin »

I have a question about Tashi Gar Norte.

I understand that this center is a place where people can go and become residents and also if i am not mistaken build their own houses.
Is anybody here who can expand on that?

Thank you.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

to collaborate, to respect, to know how to work with circumstances ...

"Now, with all my experience of the world, its condition etc., it corresponds perfectly with the Dzogchen teaching, that says that the goal is evolution. Evolution of humanity as a whole, not just the practitioners. So the value of the Dzogchen teaching is supreme, we should really try to understand this and make the best use of it. It is something that surely will become important for all humanity, slowly slowly. It is not like a party, but it is a way, a knowledge that demonstrates every day the way to collaborate, to respect... Simply as I always say, to collaborate, to respect the dimension of the other, to know how to work with circumstances, -- these are really the principles."

Tenerife October 2011
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Sönam wrote:to collaborate, to respect, to know how to work with circumstances ...

"Now, with all my experience of the world, its condition etc., it corresponds perfectly with the Dzogchen teaching, that says that the goal is evolution. Evolution of humanity as a whole, not just the practitioners. So the value of the Dzogchen teaching is supreme, we should really try to understand this and make the best use of it. It is something that surely will become important for all humanity, slowly slowly. It is not like a party, but it is a way, a knowledge that demonstrates every day the way to collaborate, to respect... Simply as I always say, to collaborate, to respect the dimension of the other, to know how to work with circumstances, -- these are really the principles."
Oh, was it powerful! I don't think I'll ever forget those words, the way they were spoken, the intensity; the climax of the whole retreat, as far as I'm concerned.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Mr. G wrote:I finally got to see the movie "My Reincarnation". Such a good movie that I felt had a lot of sincerity behind it.

I found it cool that the old member from e-sangha, sunsimao got some footage time too.
I saw a lot of people I recognized from Boston and NY. Actually, part of the film was from a NY retreat I attended and once I realized that, I got a little nervous... fortunately, I did not wind up on the big screen. That would weird me out.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Perhaps OT and if so I apologize but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3sTUM70FD4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone know who recorded this? It's delightful.
florin

Post by florin »

Can Ganapuja be performed every day ?

In the booklet on Ganapuja its kind of recommended that one joins the collective practice which is only done on certain days but in the same time it says that one can do it on their own (on those days)but preferably together with other practitioners.....but i cant remember being mentioned whether it can be done daily on your own....
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

alpha wrote:Can Ganapuja be performed every day ?

In the booklet on Ganapuja its kind of recommended that one joins the collective practice which is only done on certain days but in the same time it says that one can do it on their own (on those days)but preferably together with other practitioners.....but i cant remember being mentioned whether it can be done daily on your own....
In general, you can do Tsog/Ganapuja as often as you want.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

JinpaRangdrol wrote:
alpha wrote:Can Ganapuja be performed every day ?

In general, you can do Tsog/Ganapuja as often as you want.
Please note the warning in my signature prior to reading...I don't see the point of it, really. I understand the theoretical points, but I thoroughly disbelieve any and all of it, basically. If any sentient beings were at least really enjoying those crumbs at the end, I might think differently, but clearly they're not. There's a whole world of food to be found out there. They don't need small bits of ham, fish and cheetos sprinkled with a drop of wine in an aluminum pie tin set on the stoop.

Do you people really to believe the pretas, etc. come out when they hear the chanting and wait by the door for a plate of crumbs which they absorb invisible essences from? I think it's just more mental offering merit with a physical ritual component and something about going beyond limitations as far as the meat and alcohol are concerned.

When I believed and did ganapuja with pure motivation... I didn't notice anything different about life in general. Apparently, nothing was appeased by the process, least of all my doubting nature.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron

Return to “Dzogchen”